Containment for Gravity.

Sovera

Is this still a thing? I used to see the Containment message pop up all the time but I don't think I've ever seen it for my Grav. Is this a thing that was rolled into Impact, or does Impact replace Containment? I keep thinking I'm getting Impact -and- Containment but I'm no longer sure.

40 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

Was there a Containment message? Overpower is the only one I remember. 

Containment is silent, isn't it? Always has been? Or am I going mad?

I distinctly remember Containment messages, but, back from pre-sunset. We're talking issue 7 to 14.

25 minutes ago, Sovera said:

I distinctly remember Containment messages, but, back from pre-sunset. We're talking issue 7 to 14.

Pretty sure I haven't seen them on Homecoming (can't remember back to Live). My Plant/Storm and Grav/TA would certainly be spamming me to death if they were a thing (they do with Overpowers)

I spent a week a few months ago trying to find out if Controller Epics did Containment damage now, it would have been much easier if there were Containment messages (now I can just go to Ubers COD and check and yes they do)

19 hours ago, Sovera said:

Is this still a thing? I used to see the Containment message pop up all the time but I don't think I've ever seen it for my Grav. Is this a thing that was rolled into Impact, or does Impact replace Containment? I keep thinking I'm getting Impact -and- Containment but I'm no longer sure.

Do you get containment messages on your other controllers?

Below is a test I just ran with my Grav. I believe that the second Propel damage of 459.19 Smashing damage is from Containment, though it does not specify that. The Impact damage is there separately.

image.png.1a6020c8ece0836ba1a359fe40839bba.png

Containment doesn't have a special pop up.  It's basically just you do double damage.  And it does work with Controller Epics.  Which is why Seismic Smash is a popular choice.  Very high damage (for a Controller Power plus you get more Hold Mag) that you do double for when things are held.

Although I am pretty sure it doesn't work for pets and pseudo-pets like Ice Storm.

12 minutes ago, Tacheyon said:

Containment doesn't have a special pop up.  It's basically just you do double damage.

This. To my knowledge, Containment has never had a float text associated with it - only the extra mag effect of Overpower did.

Oh yeah, I don't know about the popup screen notification. Live is too far ago to remember. I just wanted to confirm to the OP that Grav did indeed get the damage bonus.

6 hours ago, Tacheyon said:

Which is why Seismic Smash is a popular choice.  Very high damage (for a Controller Power plus you get more Hold Mag) that you do double for when things are held.

Huh, I may have to reconsider that option.

Containment doesn't have a DisplayFloat, so it shouldn't appear in text when it triggers.

Interestingly DisplayFloat is coded AttribMod per AttribMod, and is not a global system tied to Containment. You could technically make any power effect pop up whatever message you want. That's how Gravity's Impact pop up works. So it wouldn't surprise me if there's one power out there does have some kind of message by mistake. I believe occasionally the text has been left off certain powers and had to be added. 

14 hours ago, VV said:

Do you get containment messages on your other controllers?

Below is a test I just ran with my Grav. I believe that the second Propel damage of 459.19 Smashing damage is from Containment, though it does not specify that. The Impact damage is there separately.

image.png.1a6020c8ece0836ba1a359fe40839bba.png

On the plus side you just debugged the fact I'm not Parsing Impact damage in my combat parser because my damage regex isn't expecting [IMPACT!] at the end, which I'll correct. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:34 PM, Sovera said:

Containment message

I don't think you are losing your mind - I have a distinct memory of float text back when they implemented it.

Evidently it hasn't been there for a while, which makes sense - too much clutter!

Either that or we have a shared delusion.