New Power set: Optic blast

I had long hoped that COH would have added animation options to the different power sets to allow us to project the different ranged powers from different body locations such as eyes, chest, head,...  So since that never came about I was thinking, why not just create an optic blast set that allows you to choose different power options.

So the unique thing about this set is when you choose your first power (tier 1 or 2) you also get an option to select what damage type your eye beams will have.  Each one would have the same proc effect as the existing power sets.

Current choices would include:

Heat:  Fire damage, burn dot proc.

Freeze:  Cold, slow proc.

Electric:  Energy damage, end drain proc.

Force:  Energy damage, knockback proc.

Radiation:  Energy damage, def debuff proc.

Psionic:  Psionic damage, -recharge proc.

Powers include:

Eye Beam:  Basic single target attack.

Eye Blast:  Heavier single target attack.

Optic Sweep:  Moderate cone attack.

Aim:  To hit and damage buff

Telescopic Blast:  Long range sniper shot.

Optic Stun:  Ranged hold attack.

Eye Burst:  Targeted AoE attack, medium damage.

Optic Deflection:  Fires an eye beam that ricochet up to 10 targets.  (Would use the mechanics like the Ion Judgement power)

Optic Devastation:  Targeted AoE attack.  Does high damage.

Most animations can be taken from the existing eye beam powers such as laser beam eyes or x-ray beam.  Optic Sweep would need some new animations due to it being a cone attack, but the rest of the set is either single target attacks or targeted AoEs.

• Like 2

I wouldnt be opposed to that, but I was thinking there might have been some issues implementing it when Cryptic didnt back when they added animation options.  I remember there was an expectation that adding the animation options would include the ability to project beams from eyes and chest.  They never said why they didnt add that to the options, so I didnt know if it was just due to laziness or if there were some technical issues.  It was also why I setup the powers the way I did so that you could use existing animations as much as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dragonhawk777 said:

I had long hoped that COH would have added animation options to the different power sets to allow us to project the different ranged powers from different body locations such as eyes, chest, head

I would think it would be more likely for us to see these then new power sets.

I'm saying that because animations that could be used across multiple power sets would be just that. Useable by multiple power sets versus just one.

As only using optic blasts as a stand-alone super-power is so closely linked to Marvel's Cyclops of the X-men, I'm sure that is one of the reasons that Cryptic stayed away form it.

The same probably for the chest blast which is often linked to Marvel's Iron Man.

That being said, being able to blast people with ice and fire (looks like fire) from the eyes or chest really shouldn't have any copyright issues (versus say a Cyclops' concussive eye blast (laser like, energy damage w/knockback), Kryptonian heat-vision (laser like, fire damage), Iron Man's chest-mounted repulsor blast (energy damage w/knockback), etc.)

I'm not sure what attacks from the head would look like. Are you talking out of the mouth like the breath fire attack? or?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

There wouldnt be any copywrite issues for any eye beam set.  There are a number of heroes that project eye beams of different types, and none of them have ever had a copywrite issue.  You can copywrite names, but you cant copywrite powers.  Both DC and Marvel have heroes and villains with sonic powers.  Hyperion is a complete ripoff of Superman and the whole Squadron Supreme is nothing more than a Marvel Justice League.  I would also say that since they did give us claws and three claws to boot, that they werent too concerned about losing a lawsuit.  Wolverine was a much bigger property than Cyclops was.

As far as head attacks go it would probably fit best with one of hte full helmets and would basically be a big beam that would engulf the characters head.  Wildfire from the Legion of Super-Heroes would probably be the best example of projecting this.  He would sometimes release all his energy in one blast from his face plate.  I would consider a head beam though a low priority to get done as it would probably get the least use as far as the number of players choosing it as an animation option.  Eye beams would be the highest priority, followed by chest and lastly head.

Edited by dragonhawk777

8 hours ago, Judasace said:

I want these animations added to AR and DP. So I can shoot bullets out of my eyes.

How about daggers?   

Wait, I know, a new power set: "Dagger Blasts". It would have an AOE that is a circular wall of daggers. You could also play lawn darts with it.  😃 (yes, I'm joking)

• Haha 1

The damage type really doesn't matter for concept. The thing to be worried about is animation/vfx/sounds and mechanics(if it has anything to set it apart from other similar sets).

What I mean is, I always assumed Cyclops' optic blasts were mostly smashing/concussive damage but it really wouldn't matter if it did cold damage and looked the same. You'd still have your character who obliterates stuff by ocular beams.

My suggestion here is to create a focused set (not choose-your-beam-flavor) with a unique damage type combo (Energy/toxic, Neg energy/lethal, etc) with an engaging mechanic or specialty (make all it's AoEs are cones and it had a range boosting mechanic or a varied radial cone damage or something)... But on top of that, look at an existing set (like energy blast) and 100% copy all it's animation times. Them make it so you can interchange either new or old animations as you see fit. You'd be giving that other set a bunch of new usable animations while also allowing your new set to have things other than optic beams as an option.

I'd say use the Beam Rifle set but make an alternate animation set where the beam comes out the eyes. The themes and expectations of an eye beam set sync up enough with Beam Rifle that I think the two sets wouldn't need to be separate. It would be the "easiest" path to having eye lasers?

• Like 4

On 5/15/2021 at 3:42 AM, Tubalcain said:

I'd say use the Beam Rifle set but make an alternate animation set where the beam comes out the eyes. The themes and expectations of an eye beam set sync up enough with Beam Rifle that I think the two sets wouldn't need to be separate. It would be the "easiest" path to having eye lasers?

At least one of these animations already exists in the game: Olympian 29, in the DA incarnate arc, shoots Beam Rifle's Cutting Beam through his eyes.

• Like 3

Oh, I so wish we could divorce sfx from power effects completely, a la the tabletop Champions. I was surprised to see some of the options already available in the power customization menu, though. Psi attacks from hands or head comes to mind.

But:

Let me make my PBAOE heal look like a NUKE, please, please, please!

If we could use any animation for any power, archers could finally get the "healing arrow" of ur-forum fame!

(Might want to add a "show only default animations" toggle to the options, though. Don't want to trigger anyone's migraines!)

Edited by DoctorDitko

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)