Stealth on MSRs

So my recollection is very fuzzy, but didn't we disprove the "Steamy Mist etc. in the bowl is bad for the raid numbers" thing back on Live? I could swear there was a little bit of testing on Virtue and we didn't see any appreciable difference. Am I misremembering, or has something changed since then?

1 hour ago, CaptExpendable said:

So my recollection is very fuzzy, but didn't we disprove the "Steamy Mist etc. in the bowl is bad for the raid numbers" thing back on Live? I could swear there was a little bit of testing on Virtue and we didn't see any appreciable difference. Am I misremembering, or has something changed since then?

Yes.  Stealth auras (Steamy Mist, Shadow Fall, and Artic Fog), have no effect on pulling Rikti to the bowl nor Rikti spawning in the bowl.  It's been a rumor for many, many years but an inaccurate one.  I remember hearing it off and on back prior to sunset, but I've heard it *a lot* on Homecoming, including unfortunately from other Rikti mothership raid leaders.  There's no factual basis for it.  None.

What's really going on:

1. There's a lack of Brutes and/or Tankers on the league.

or

2. Most Brutes and/or Tankers on the league aren't pulling Rikti to the bowl.

or

3. Most Brutes and/or Tankers on the league are trying to pull too many Rikti to the bowl, and shed some aggro as a result.

or

4. People fight Rikti on the ramps and/or on the rim of the ship, preventing the Rikti from reaching the bowl.

or (and this is usually the case),

5. Some combination of the above.

Easier to blame stealth auras than the lack of pulling/pulling too many/people insisting on fighting Rikti on the ramps no matter how many times you tell them not to I suppose.

Edited by Apparition
  • Thanks 7

6 minutes ago, Andreah said:

I'm more interested in people turning off their repelling fields, and for the slippers/folders to coordinate with each other a bit.

A repelling field is useful for the first few seconds in the bowl.  When I am on my Force Field Corruptor, I will immediately turn on Force Bubble, summon my Lore and temporary pets, and then turn Force Bubble off.  Give everyone a little bit of safety when we arrive at the bowl.  But other than that, yeah, repel should definitely be off.

2 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Sounds like a tough job 🤣

My Grav 'troller is GREAT at Rim jobs!

• Haha 2

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

Once you gain aggro on mobs up on the rim and start pulling them down, there are basically three ways to lose the aggro: 1) run away fast enough and far enough that they fall out of range, 2) try to pick up more aggro than you can keep causing the 'early' aggro'd mobs to stop following and replacing them with the 'later' mobs, and 3) having someone generate more aggro on them before you pull them all the way into the bowl. If you run into a stealth aura while dragging mobs to the bowl, you're already in combat, so the stealth doesn't affect you.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I believe it all goes back to original hamidon with 100 people and 'old' computers.  The drop in framerate was absolutely massive for alot of players to the point where we had to make an all spandex costume with no cape or aura and no group stealth for the hamidon raids.

This did translate to lower numbers back on live as players were lagging out and tanks with 5fps were trying to pull rikti into the bowl.

Most computers from the last 10 years have no trouble running the game on very high settings but old habits die hard and the 'turn off stealth auras' is one if them.  But with all the other buffs flying around,  if its helping someones framerate,  ill turn mine off.  Even if its just so we can see our characters better.

16 hours ago, sbloyd said:

My Grav 'troller is GREAT at Rim jobs!

See the source image

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

4 minutes ago, Black Zot said:

This gets REALLY tiresome on the Everlasting MSRs.  The leaders are great people otherwise, but no matter what they just CANNOT get it through their dense heads that stealth does not affect Rikti aggro.

If it makes you feel any better, they are not the only ones.  Some other Excelsior mothership raid leaders do as well, and I have to occasionally politely deprogram people on my MSRs and tell them to knock it off when they start complaining about stealth auras in league chat. :P

Like I said, I do recall this myth prior to sunset, but it has really picked up on Homecoming and I have no idea why.  In any case, as a raid leader, it's annoying.

Just now, Apparition said:

If it makes you feel any better, they are not the only ones.  Some other Excelsior mothership raid leaders do as well, and I have to occasionally politely deprogram people on my MSRs and tell them to knock it off when they start complaining about stealth auras in league chat. :P

Like I said, I do recall this myth prior to sunset, but it has really picked up on Homecoming and I have no idea why.  In any case, as a raid leader, it's annoying.

Increasing the amount of stupid doesn't mitigate existing instances of stupid at all.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1