Umbra Beast

Snarky

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

6 slot it for recipes.

I recommend a hearty stew. Umbra beast can have a bit of an oily, metallic undertone. Slow cooking it along with 6 recipes worth of ingredients will help to mitigate this overwhelming flavor, and leaves a pleasantly mellow earthy base that pairs well with winter tubers or a nice pile of beans. 

Really though, it's a good power other than the annoying howling, which I have grown to find charming. I would say it's one of the better control set pets overall.

Personally, I 4 slot Expedient enforcement (no resist proc), Soulbound Buildup, and Cloud senses proc. This maximizes overall damage, and gives you the best return on proc power. Fear procs get marginal return, as this is not a heavy part of the beast's rotation.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Haha 4

No idea on slotting, but a quick call out that there's a quick handy mod in the CoH Modder tool to turn Umbra Beast's howl off 😉  (Really a great tool with easy to install mods all around, not sure folks are fully aware of)

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

7 hours ago, Oysterhead said:

No idea on slotting, but a quick call out that there's a quick handy mod in the CoH Modder tool to turn Umbra Beast's howl off 😉  (Really a great tool with easy to install mods all around, not sure folks are fully aware of)

thanks.  the howl actually fits the horror werewolf motif.  i quote one of the campy vampire movies from the 80s.  "Children of the night....shut up!"

I left it off the build due to not having any slots to put into it.  although my global recharge is mid 140s pre hasten.  so i will be revisiting some slotting and possibly adding it back in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snarky said:

possibly adding it back in.

It's well worth the add. It has good soft control in its fear effect, and does really solid damage, especially with the procs in play. The set bonuses are strong as well for the slot investment.

I wouldn't recommend skipping Umbra beast unless it was just super outside of theme for a character, or if you very much dislike pets for whatever reason.

23 hours ago, Snarky said:

6 slot it for recipes....   this means something.  I am almost sure it does

.... Do you not understand how Recipes work in this game? Pet Recipes especially pet recharge ones are very nice sets. Adding Res bonus proc to the pet to adding recharge or defense to you as the Controller/Dominator. To one slot it and ignore it, your literally ignoring a huge chunk of not only mitigation, dmg, & control. But recipe bonuses too.

If you don't understand what 6 slot it for recipes means. Just proves a point all these folks with this high like ratios on this board, must be farming for those things and don't actually understand what goes on in the game.  While rest of are are actually in the game.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, JJDrakken said:

.... Do you not understand how Recipes work in this game? Pet Recipes especially pet recharge ones are very nice sets. Adding Res bonus proc to the pet to adding recharge or defense to you as the Controller/Dominator. To one slot it and ignore it, your literally ignoring a huge chunk of not only mitigation, dmg, & control. But recipe bonuses too.

If you don't understand what 6 slot it for recipes means. Just proves a point all these folks with this high like ratios on this board, must be farming for those things and don't actually understand what goes on in the game.  While rest of are are actually in the game.

Seriously?   So your advice was “put enhancers in it” with supplemental info they should be anything that is crafted?

thanks.  I do understand that powers need to be enhanced. I also realize sets of enhancements from recipes tend to be better than single origin enhancers

i was looking for more specific information.  Like, is the power bad good or great.  I am learning people perceive it to be good.  If i did take it how would i enhance it.  Please do not say “with recipes” again.  Funny.  Not as helpful though

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most common slot layouts : ( spreadsheet I found online)

SlbAll-Acc/Dmg/Rchg, SlbAll-Build%, SlbAll-Dmg, SlbAll-Dmg/EndRdx

BldMnd-Acc, BldMnd-Acc/Dmg, BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx, BldMnd-Acc/EndRdx, BldMnd-Dmg, BldMnd-Dmg/EndRdx

EdcoftheM-Acc/Dmg, EdcoftheM-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx, EdcoftheM-Acc/EndRdx, EdcoftheM-Dmg, EdcoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx, EdcoftheM-PetDef

BldM'dt-Acc, BldM'dt-Acc/Dmg, BldM'dt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx, BldM'dt-Acc/EndRdx, BldM'dt-Dmg, BldM'dt-Dmg/EndRdx

ExRmnt-Acc/Dmg, ExRmnt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg, ExRmnt-Dmg/EndRdx, ExRmnt-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg

HO:Nucle, HO:Nucle, HO:Nucle

12 hours ago, Snarky said:

Seriously?   So your advice was “put enhancers in it” with supplemental info they should be anything that is crafted?

thanks.  I do understand that powers need to be enhanced. I also realize sets of enhancements from recipes tend to be better than single origin enhancers

i was looking for more specific information.  Like, is the power bad good or great.  I am learning people perceive it to be good.  If i did take it how would i enhance it.  Please do not say “with recipes” again.  Funny.  Not as helpful though

-rolls eyes- I'll say what I'll say. To demand someone to say or not say things isn't in your wheelhouse bud. Before you bust out any, this my post. You put yourself out there on a forum with others, asking a question. You got an answer, perhaps it's not the answer you wanted, but then attempts of mocking it, didn't go your way you get all spikey about it when I gave you an extended response. But hey, I don't normally enjoy mashing out paragraphs on here, I do enough of that for story stuff when setting up campaigns and stuff for way to many other people. Toodles.

Edited by JJDrakken
  • Confused 3

37 minutes ago, JJDrakken said:

-rolls eyes- I'll say what I'll say. To demand someone to say or not say things isn't in your wheelhouse bud. Before you bust out any, this my post. You put yourself out there on a forum with others, asking a question. You got an answer, perhaps it's not the answer you wanted, but then attempts of mocking it, didn't go your way you get all spikey about it when I gave you an extended response. But hey, I don't normally enjoy mashing out paragraphs on here, I do enough of that for story stuff when setting up campaigns and stuff for way to many other people. Toodles.

-blinks-  -snickers-  let's break this down princess.  I do not demand anything.  I made a very slightly Snarky (registered Trademark, pat pending) response to your vague reply.  You came back with a question about me not understanding recipes.  

Mock you?  I don't even know you.  Buy me a cup of coffee first.  geez. 

Didn't go my way?  Is life supposed to go a certain way?  No one ever showed me that part.  Things happen, other things happen.  It is when the reactants react to form products that have a different intellectual formula that art shows itself to be more than wall covering, lumps of material, or random letters jumbled together.

Thank you for your mashing.  Your efforts have not been without some success.  I am amused.

Snarky is your way of saying, Hey I can be a dick, Be it aggressive or passive aggressive. but then say I'm just being snarky as a guise. Been doing this internet thing since 80s, seen it all. Anyways, toodles.

Edited by JJDrakken

• 2 weeks later
  • 2 years later
On 7/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, subbacultchas said:

My go to for it has been one of the 4 piece Pet Rechg sets (gives 6.25% rechg bonus) and the damage proc from Cloud senses.

It's a solid pet, I like it well enough. But lord you'll hate the sound of it.

I do the 4-piece Pet Recharge as well, but compliment it with the Edict of the Master Defensive IO and the Soulbound Allegiance chance for Build-Up proc.

And I play with my sound off. 🙂

Edited by Story Archer
  • Confused 1

NECRO-PUPPY!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I have a dark/poison controller with Umbra Beast named Lifesaver.  Yeah that is her job, I'd slot her better if it was necessary, but as the toon is semi-retired there is no need.  Got a couple IO immobilize, 2 IO fears, an IO accuracy and a Blood Mandate accuracy that I don't know where it came from.

I load it with procs to give it more utility. I've found that Overwhelming's KD procs a lot. two fear procs (+disorient and Neg Psi Dmg), Cloud Sense's Neg Dmg, and Trap of the hunter's Lethal Dmg to give it more of a bite.

I mule the pet def and res on Haunt. The Umbra Doggy's res is sufficient enough to be survivable in most tangles. Sometimes I coat it with Spirit Ward for extra absorb and a bit of regen.

I like the theme of it, yes even the howling. the way it reacts to the colour palate can be challenging, but it does fit most of my character bios. It's not an integral part of the build as I can run missions without it, but it adds a fun factor and staves off a bit of loneliness since I tend to solo most of the time. I do wish the devs would implement pass-through like MM pets as I get blocked by my own pet sometimes. That plus superjump like MM pets. it tends to have trouble following me when I bounce off as it has to find a walkable path towards me, unless I'm far enough then it just ports to my side. maybe a bit of better leashing would be nice. It tends to get trapped specially in stairs. Some toons, I can't pick tp friend/foe which would solve that. I do find that it's a little less rando than 'lings and spider blasters which go all over the place. The doggo tends to be more obedient... sometimes a little too obedient as it sits behind you not attacking what you're attacking if it's a considerable distance away (70ft???).

Edited by Six-Six

7 minutes ago, Six-Six said:

I load it with procs to give it more utility. I've found that Overwhelming's KD procs a lot. two fear procs (+disorient and Neg Dmg), Cloud Sense's Neg Dmg, and Trap of the hunter's Lethal Dmg to give it more of a bite.

I mule the pet def and res on Haunt. The Umbra Doggy's res is sufficient enough to be survivable in most tangles. Sometimes I coat it with Spirit Ward for extra absorb and a bit of regen.

This!!!

5 hours ago, Six-Six said:

I load it with procs to give it more utility. I've found that Overwhelming's KD procs a lot. two fear procs (+disorient and Neg Psi Dmg), Cloud Sense's Neg Dmg, and Trap of the hunter's Lethal Dmg to give it more of a bite.

A few comments:

The Trap of the Hunter %proc will IIRC only trigger on the the Umbra Pet's single-target Shadow Binds.

Umbra Beast's Terrifying Roar is a 10-target, 50-foot 30° Cone.

Both Shadow Binds and Terrifying Roar have a -ToHit and can trigger Cloud Senses' %damage.

The Knockdown %proc should have a chance to trigger on every attack the Umbra Beat makes.

%damage needs Accuracy slotting to improve chances to hit, so don't be too quick to skimp on Accuracy for the Beast. I would deprioritize the Trap of the Hunter piece. The Umbra Beast has actual damaging attacks too.

My Controller has the Umbra Beast slotted as follows:

Level 26:              Umbra Beast     

(A) Soulbound Allegiance - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Soulbound Allegiance - Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Overwhelming Force - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown

(*) Hami-O Lysosome (Accuracy/-Defense/-ToHit): Level 53

(*) Cloud Senses - Chance of Damage (Negative)

• Thanks 1