Best build overall for farming

fftocool

Someone will say a rad/fire brute, which is probably most efficient, and then someone else will say "whatever build you have the most fun farming with".  Someone else will come in and disparage farmers, and then maybe someone else will talk about how their mind/fire dom farmer roleplays the whole time they're solo clearing +4/8 farms.  That might spawn a discussion of the relative benefits of farming vs roleplaying, and then someone will bring up running arcs and TFs for merits.  Along the way, someone will make a logical misstep, and at least one poster will go off on a tangent about that.  No doubt brutes, who objectively farm faster than any other class, will complain about scrapper and tank performance vis a vis farming, and then the thread will devolve into a recitation of grievances re: AT imbalance.

TLDR:  roll a rad/fire brute

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, fftocool said:

Have to explain the different types of farming. I just want to set my notoriety to x8 and +4 ... and able to go in and kill everything.

Any very tough Brute or Tank can do what you ask here.  But your first post said 'best'   Now, Farming is like racing?  What track are you on?  a F! is probably the best.  Unless you are dirt racing, then it is not so good.

Most Farming is done on Fire Farms.  Mobs deal Fire damage and are susceptible to most notmal attacks.  Pick your farm wisely.

So Fire Armor givves great fire protection and is the highest damaging armors.

We are going down the rabbit hole fast.  Check the link above for more info.

• Like 1

Rad/fire brute is going to be your best answer for most types of farming.  Rad/ because of the good AOE, good damage type, and most importantly, the good Irradiated Ground proc damage.  /Fire is going to be best for most types of farming because realistically, farming is either fire or smashing/lethal, and rad/fire can be built for either.  No one farms Carnival of Shadows or Knives of Artemis with any efficiency - it's fire farms, S/L versions of the same, or maybe some edge-case old school Unai Kemen or Harvey Maylor Council/Family/Freak/Demon farms.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rad/Fire or Spines/Fire brutes for active+afk farming. Irradiated Ground may be a victim of the Aprocalypse so beware.

Any /Fire brute for mainly afk farming. I have the two above plus Ice/, Fire/, and Dark/.

Ice/Fire or Fire/Fire blasters for active but no afk farming.

Find my Fire/Kin troller pretty slow compared to those, wouldn’t recommend it. Plant/Kin might be better.

Plant dominator might be as fast though. Got the idea from a Plant/Fire but mine’s a Plant/Psy. Pretty damn fast at meteor.

All capable of capped Fire defense and nearly capped Fire resistance.

Only other option I might try for fire farming is a Fire/Kin/Fire corruptor, just to see. 

Edited by arcane

I have rad/fire and spines/fire brute farmers, and I like the rad/fire better. Just seems more effective.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

On 6/25/2021 at 7:36 PM, fftocool said:

Have to explain the different types of farming. I just want to set my notoriety to x8 and +4 ... and able to go in and kill everything.

First - you need to understand something. There is no "best" in CoH. There is optimal, but no best. 
There could be a "best for YOU" build. We don't know your manual dexterity. We don't know your reflexes. We don't know if you want to afk-farm (set burn to auto, sit in the middle, reset 10-20 minutes later, depending on your passive damage buff from fury and IO sets.)

Some say Rad/fire brute is marginally better. I say anecdotally, that's not true. I have played both, and found the rad/fire inferior. But- I have to allow for the possibility I slotted my spines/fire better than my rad/fire. It's certainly possible. So - there you go. Slotting differences can take HC's "best" +4/8 AT & powerset combo and turn it into trash compared to someone else's build of the same AT & powerset. 

So, now that I've said that, to me - spines/fire is an easier way to go than rad/fire. Anecdotally, it was more fun to level up. There was a time I couldn't put burn on auto - my build wasn't there yet. I had to put healing flames on auto, and just let the blazing aura and quills do the damage. I was afk, so speed didn't matter. The brute lived, and I made enough to put burn on auto after boosting the fire defense with winter sets. 

I like spines/fire for other reasons, too. It was just easier for me to build. Six slot winter sets. Six slot some oblit sets. I mean, it was simple. The rad/fire build was a bit harder for me - probably because I just wasn't as familiar with rad melee. 

Below is my build, which I use outside of the farms, too. There's a clear lack of defense debuff resistance, so groups like Carnies, Banished Pantheon and Arachnos are highly problematic. Other than that, I had no trouble soloing AVs in the TFC blue side tf chain. It is not the "optimal" nor best fire farm brute build. But it is more than suitable for farming +4/8, either active or afk. 

ApacheFog - Brute (Spines).mxd

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

Some say Rad/fire brute is marginally better. I say anecdotally, that's not true. I have played both, and found the rad/fire inferior. But- I have to allow for the possibility I slotted my spines/fire better than my rad/fire. It's certainly possible. So - there you go. Slotting differences can take HC's "best" +4/8 AT & powerset combo and turn it into trash compared to someone else's build of the same AT & powerset. 

When I put 6 procs in Irradiated Ground on my Bio/Rad tanker, it was immediately crystal clear I had messed up on my Rad/Fire brute build. I’d say that’s the big difference maker between Rad/ vs Spines/, BUT also the feature most likely to be nerfed. So having Spines/ on standby is still likely to win one day.

I actually went Claws/Fire/Mu Brute for my "zen mode" farmer... Mostly because I hate the sound effects for Spines, and Claws was more fun to play than Rad, "Best" is pretty subjective in City, so there are going to be a lot of different ways to judge that. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I use my Fire/Claws Tank for farming, PLing and playing in general. Brute would be better but Spin is excellent. 

I make enough Inf for my alts just marketing through crafting and converting yellow recipes. I only use the farming for when I'm bored or want to jump 20 levels on a char on my alt account.