So, procs...

6 hours ago, Naraka said:

If nerfs have no room in practicality, then neither do buffs? Or maybe some nerfs and some buffs? You can't just blanket-statement something without taking into context that PPM itself was a buff to procs.  If balance is desired, at some point, you have to accept negatives and positives. 

PPM was a buff to procs - sort of. The old-style "buzzsaw" builds that crammed procs into fast-activating/recharging powers a la Dark Melee aren't as effective as they used to be. Procs in rain and toggle powers often aren't as effective as they used to be. In most other cases, procs are better than they were - but in order to really leverage the effectiveness of procs one needs to build their character in such a way that foregoes set bonuses. I will concede there are certain procs that are probably too good but those are being looked at and adjusted on a case basis (Call of the Sandman, for one). There are also certain powers which interact with procs in odd ways that are also being looked at and adjusted on a case basis.

At the end of the day, we're all playing a 20-year-old game of dubious legal standing and it doesn't really make much sense to implement a blanket nerf which negatively affects a large portion of the playerbase.

6 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Almost no one cares about it.

Or difficulty. 

You and I are nearly outliers. 

I'd be interested to see the statistics on the Aeon SF and how often the increased difficulty levels are utilized. It's clear to me from beta and live feedback that the devs have managed to make challenging content for IO'd-and-incarnated-to-the-gills characters. I've always been okay with more difficult content but the content needs to provide meaningful rewards which will encourage players to participate, and it needs to be optional.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

On 7/2/2021 at 7:55 AM, arcane said:

These powers have longer recharge by default because they aren’t supposed to be as good as primaries/secondaries.

I'm not sure this is quite accurate.

It seems to me these powers often have longer recharge by default in order to justify them being as good or better than primaries/secondaries.

24 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I'm not sure this is quite accurate.

It seems to me these powers often have longer recharge by default in order to justify them being as good or better than primaries/secondaries.

Based on Captain Powerhouse's previous comments and the never-made-it-out-of-beta Scrapper/Stalker snipe changes, epic/patron powers have double recharge compared to their in-set versions as a "penalty." This does make them good proc vehicles but again, I'm not convinced this is a problem when you can only use those powers half as often.

• Thanks 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

8 hours ago, th0ughtGun said:
9 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Almost no one cares about it.

Or difficulty. 

You and I are nearly outliers. 

*raises hand*

Me too! I care about difficulty and balance.

Yeah I'm still here too. Trying to keep a lot quieter about it these days as there's only so many times I really want to be told I'm wrong though!

• Thumbs Up 3

Why shouldn’t procs be held to the same enhancement diversification that all other enhancements are?

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)

2 hours ago, th0ughtGun said:

Why shouldn’t procs be held to the same enhancement diversification that all other enhancements are?

Because they do different stuff for one thing, even the damage ones do different kinds of damage (fire, smashing, etc.).  Their effects aren't all going into a generic pool of "damage" or even necessarily fitting into the power's set types of damage.

At a guess why not.

ETA: this game is apparently perfectly happy with out and out farming, and lots of it; I don't think some players making proc monsters is really as big a worry for balance.   But that's probably more IMHO, I suppose.

Edited by Clave Dark 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, th0ughtGun said:

Because Jack's not here, he's busy making a Marvel game.

Honestly, though, it's been three years and we've yet to see hide nor hair of the NPC resistance rebalance that was supposed to be stage one of any rebalancing.   At some point, y'all have to admit if it happens it happens but it won't be anytime soon.

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

25 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Their effects aren't all going into a generic pool of "damage" or even necessarily fitting into the power's set types of damage.

This is a good point but it should stil be mathematically possible to have it count how many you have and apply them in a certain order as it already does and then any past a certain point get a penalty regardless of damage type. How difficult that would be to add in is a different question, but it doesn’t sound impossible.

26 minutes ago, skoryy said:

At some point, y'all have to admit if it happens it happens but it won't be anytime soon.

I do agree that a lot of the discussions on the forum end up going absolutely nowhere (with regards to actual change in game) other than just essentially being annoying thought experiments.

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)

But what order?  Would damage procs take precedence over say KD procs, or -Resist procs?  Or be pushed to the back of the bus to be most likely to suffer percentage penalties for "having too many procs"?

But yeah, this is mostly just online arguments worth the pixels they're printed with.  But now I want to make a new toon with the name "Annoying Thought Experiment", shame that's too long to fit.

Edited by Clave Dark 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝