Rule of 3?

drgantz

Someone told me that a toon shouldn't  have more than 3 of an enhancement type.
For example, attack powers should use 3 slots for dmg enhaments, and def powers should use 3 slots for def or res.

For attacks, I usually use 1 acc, 3 dmg and 1 rech. 
Is this a good rule for most categories such as attack, def, heals etc?

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason is that you get very little benefit for any enhancement after the 3rd. See link below for the details. 

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Enhancement_Diversification

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Switch to IOs, obey the Law of Fives, apply the Rule of Threes to survivalism (an extension to the rule which practicing survivalists typically follow is that one should always try to have at least three possible survival uses for every item carried in a survival situation), win at the game and life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

6 hours ago, JasperStone said:

I STILL have this argument with some players ...particularly about Stamina.

Basically, three enhancements of any one type give 97% of all the boost you can get, be it Acc, Dam, End, whatever. I try to three-slot Health and Stamina fairly early in most builds. If there are no other boosting powers (such as those under Regen), a fourth slot and the resulting ~105% boost can be worth it.

But yes, three of anything in any one power is the reasonable limit. More only comes from IO sets.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

The Enhancement Diversification - and there's a study in Orwellian language use for you - nerfing had, at best - in my opinion - mixed results.  Yeah, it did end up forcing some powers from a total-offense/defense stance into making things a bit less of a steamroller over the bad guys, but at the same time there were and are a number of powers where anything but offense/defense builds ends up becoming a, "Huh.  Got all these enhancement slots in the respec that I can't use anymore - guess I'll throw them into powers that don't really need Endurance Reduction or Range enhances and do it anyway."  The only power I'd recommend still putting the full six enhancement-stacking on is Hasten - once you get to the SO Recharge enhances, you won't have perma-Hasten, but it's pretty damn close.  Back In The Day, I can't count how many times I blessed being able to run Hasten pretty much continually - it rendered any number of extremely long-term Recharge powers, and which already had the full three Recharge enhances stacked into them, into something that could actually be used more than once per mission.

Obviously this sort of thing is going to vary considerably from archetype to archetype, and individual build to individual build, but my final word on it: Yeah, I agree fully with the majority opinion here.  The vast majority of powers, for any notable game effect, max out at three enhances.  I keep wondering if the Homecoming team will take it upon themselves to either reduce or eliminate ED's effects; so far there's no indications of such, but every day, pretty much, brings new surprises from this administration.

Edited by Black Talon
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Snarky said:

You need to learn about ED.  Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has a public service video for men with ED.  Youtube - "Enhancement Drug"

Enhancement Drug - SNL - YouTube

Remember when the little blue pill was introduced.  If it lasts more than four hours consult a professional.  They changed professional to doctor after a while.

• Haha 3

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

7 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Take the RED pill.

My question: Why can't it be PURPLE?  That way we get all the good stuff and don't have to worry about evil - they're always evil, because that's what they have to be - AIs taking control of the world and making us see black cats cross our paths twice.   Although, I will say, the side benefit of getting to have Carrie-Anne Moss as our Trick Shot-style permanent sidekick certainly doesn't hurt matters.  Actually, having that kind of makes it a case of, "Evil AIs controlling the world and the direction of our lives forever?  Meh - could be worse."  Lead the way to Zion, oh seductive black-haired, blue-eyed babe...

On 7/5/2021 at 10:14 AM, Uun said:

The reason is that you get very little benefit for any enhancement after the 3rd. See link below for the details. 

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Enhancement_Diversification

You’ll want to learn it this way eventually because a “rule of 3” will be too simplistic a view once you move on from generic enhancements to IO sets.

10 hours ago, Black Talon said:

The only power I'd recommend still putting the full six enhancement-stacking on is Hasten - once you get to the SO Recharge enhances, you won't have perma-Hasten, but it's pretty damn close.

Things that make you go WTF???  I am not sure how you build. You mention having lots of enhancer slots left over...   so, if you put sets in that give global recharge and a few other things then you can two slot 50+5 inventions on Haste and be at perma or near it bery often.  That is pretty standard across a lot of builds.  I would need to see one of tour builds to understand your theories

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Basically, three enhancements of any one type give 97% of all the boost you can get, be it Acc, Dam, End, whatever. I try to three-slot Health and Stamina fairly early in most builds. If there are no other boosting powers (such as those under Regen), a fourth slot and the resulting ~105% boost can be worth it.

But yes, three of anything in any one power is the reasonable limit. More only comes from IO sets.

Agreed.

I now two slot health and stamina, a set with a proc. Personal choice and on the advice of a global friend who works a lot in Mids.

My argument ... uhmm ....discussion was witha player that insisted on six slotting stamina. 

• Thumbs Up 1

/e poofgone

47 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

I now two slot health and stamina, a set with a proc. Personal choice and on the advice of a global friend who works a lot in Mids.

I find I can almost always spare six slots (total) for this essential build aspect. But then, I'm not an aggressive min-maxer. 🙂

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

12 hours ago, Black Talon said:

The Enhancement Diversification - and there's a study in Orwellian language use for you

War's over, BT.

I don't find the term in any way deceptive or Orwellian. The GMs disliked what six-slotting was doing to the game balance, and made it a Hobson's choice of use more diverse slotting or none at all. Widely disliked by the power players, still bitched about fifteen years later to the amusement of those of us who Just Play. 🙂

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

War's over, BT.

I don't find the term in any way deceptive or Orwellian. The GMs disliked what six-slotting was doing to the game balance, and made it a Hobson's choice of use more diverse slotting or none at all. Widely disliked by the power players, still bitched about fifteen years later to the amusement of those of us who Just Play. 🙂

I am a “power gamer” in that i enjoy high end builds

i actually like the complex formulations required to make the most of a build with ED as an extra consideration.  When you have a good build where everything just ‘clicks’ it is such a nice feeling

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

i actually like the complex formulations required to make the most of a build with ED as an extra consideration.  When you have a good build where everything just ‘clicks’ it is such a nice feeling

I'd tend to agree. I think the game is more interesting when builds and so forth require some tradeoffs and careful matching to power sets and play style,

But I can see the point of the HULK SMASH! builds, too, even if we've had children reach near adulthood since they were last possible... 😄

• Haha 1