Decimation: Chance for Build UP VS Oil Slick is it possible ? Can it benefit ?

plainguy

Just wondering, I am looking at MIDs and I see that Oil Slick damage kicks up with the Build up Proc active. 
I know the Fire component is a pet of the Oil Slick.  

Just wondering if anyone knows if this in fact works ?

I am assuming would have to get the BU Proc up first. Then fire off Oil Slick, then activate the Fire component within the 5 second window I am guessing of the BU proc.  

Edited by plainguy

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Decimation has a PPM of one.  That's a pretty bad proc rate.  While I don't know if the Oil Slick fire patch could inherit the build up, I can tell you that you are better off with any 3.5 PPM damage proc.

Reading up on the Proc thread ATM.

City of data has a different description then MIDs does to some degree.
Oil Slick goes up 160 points of damage which isn't bad at all assuming it can be timed correctly.

I just might slot it and test it out and then use an unslotter  if needed.

Edited by plainguy

13 hours ago, plainguy said:

Just wondering, I am looking at MIDs and I see that Oil Slick damage kicks up with the Build up Proc active. 
I know the Fire component is a pet of the Oil Slick.  

Just wondering if anyone knows if this in fact works ?

I am assuming would have to get the BU Proc up first. Then fire off Oil Slick, then activate the Fire component within the 5 second window I am guessing of the BU proc.  

I can only say that after lots of testing with Sentinels I never noticed Decimation doing anything.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Where are you planning on putting the Decimation-BU proc? 

Mental Blast.. 

Was thinking Mental Blast, Look for Proc to go off then fire off oil slick.. 

I have a feeling I will have to test this with a practice dummy to see how his goes..

People who actually understand the PPM calculation would have to explain WHY, but if you park a 1PPM proc in a power with an 8s base recharge, you will go several lifetimes before you see that Build-Up/OSA sequence fire off.  Lately I've been slotting OSA with a full set of Artillery to get the ranged def bonus, but back when I was enamored with the possibilities of procs, the one that seemed to pay off the most in OSA was the Annihilation -Res.  Even the damage procs from the same category didn't seem to hit as often as that did.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

The damage is minimal, the proc acts like the buff which is 10 sec, it doesn't buff the power for the full duration of oil slick, burn, or bonfire.  Did discover that energy or fire procs will set of oil slick, that was a nice surprise.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

With zero recharge slotting in Mental Blast you get a 16% chance of the Decimation proc going off.   A full set of Decimation gives 62.75 slotted recharge, and that would reduce the chance to a little under 11%

Calculations provided by Macskull's handy-dandy spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FuQUJm87da0vOVbnL3xmUyEt2PlfP5CbSXHWYUyTj-A/edit#gid=1191014171

5 hours ago, roleki said:

People who actually understand the PPM calculation would have to explain WHY, but if you park a 1PPM proc in a power with an 8s base recharge, you will go several lifetimes before you see that Build-Up/OSA sequence fire off.  Lately I've been slotting OSA with a full set of Artillery to get the ranged def bonus, but back when I was enamored with the possibilities of procs, the one that seemed to pay off the most in OSA was the Annihilation -Res.  Even the damage procs from the same category didn't seem to hit as often as that did.

Slotting with Artillery is how I slot it too. Any proc from ranged AoE damage won't check til Oil Slick actually goes on fire, as far as I could tell.

Acid is your proc monster power (although it's recharge is a little quick to be a true beast). Bombardment and Posi are good in it since either of those can light Oil Slick for you.

As for Chance for Build Up > Oil Slick I'm in the "you probably won't notice too much" camp too. If you had Aim of Build up & a chance for build up possibly but that version only lasts 5 secs.

Edited by Carnifax

Thanks for the responses.. 

I started reading the Proc thread to get an understanding as well. 

I will just add another damage proc instead.. 

5 hours ago, plainguy said:

Mental Blast.. 

Was thinking Mental Blast, Look for Proc to go off then fire off oil slick.. 

I have a feeling I will have to test this with a practice dummy to see how his goes..

Build Up procs have a duration of 5.25s.

OSA has an animation time of 1.32s.

Spawning OSTarget requires an additional 0.132s.

Presuming you're using a relatively fast Fire or Energy attack, it'll take you 1.0-1.32s to ignite OSA.

Spawning OSBurn tacks on another 0.132s.

So discounting human response time, out of that 5.25s of Build Up boost duration, OSA will deal increased damage for 2.34-2.67s.  Including human response time, you're probably looking at 2s at the most.

I wouldn't go this route, but it's your character, your call.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

56 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Build Up procs have a duration of 5.25s.

OSA has an animation time of 1.32s.

Spawning OSTarget requires an additional 0.132s.

Presuming you're using a relatively fast Fire or Energy attack, it'll take you 1.0-1.32s to ignite OSA.

Spawning OSBurn tacks on another 0.132s.

So discounting human response time, out of that 5.25s of Build Up boost duration, OSA will deal increased damage for 2.34-2.67s.  Including human response time, you're probably looking at 2s at the most.

I wouldn't go this route, but it's your character, your call.

wasn't worth the hassle honestly

I have the Decimation build-up proc in Thunderstorm (the cloud lightning thing) on my Storm defender, and it reliably procs almost every time I cast Thunderstorm.  So longer recharge powers definitely up its chance meaningfully. Though it only has a 5-second activation window. I generally cast Thunderstorm and then do a quick blast & nuke or just nuke.

Edited by brasilgringo