Prison Break event broken

fitzsimmons

This is across all servers, prisoners are stuck at 12.  Logged a ticket and posted to the discord.  It'll be fixed eventually but eventually is the same timeframe as soon.

GM Trumpet was very helpful and mentioned that they tried things from a GM perspective but aren't able to fix it and need a Dev to look at it.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon or eventually, whichever comes first.

Thanks,
Dave

Yeah, that event's been that way. Either a prisoner runs off somewhere, or one of the Freakshow (often one of the fliers) runs off in the second portion and breaks it. I know I've tried taunting one back into the general area and had it not work (one that specifically ran.) I've also tried just a generic "prisoner" to see if it would count (it doesn't.) The third phase is usually fine as you just have to defeat the three named/special prisoners and they don't normally run off.

If I recall, this didn't (or barely) made it onto live, too.

Frankly, I think this could be "fixed" (or cheesed, to be honest, but looking short term) by not requiring the specific mobs that spawned to be the ones killed (other than the three special prisoners in 3rd phase.) Make the walkway and area enclosed by the cops a "neighborhood," and let us draw generic prisoners or Freakshow into it to defeat X number if the ones supplied run off.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I dunno about broken, I ran it on Indomitable once the timer reset just fine. What is likely occurring is an inmate escapes to a far away location in the zone and they need to be defeated before the next wave spawns. 

Yes, and when that happens, the event cannot be completed, thus the description of "broken." I've completed it before, too. I've also had it become unable to be completed because of exactly what you described - and the mob *does not* come back, or doesn't count when it seems to. "It sometimes works" is not exactly the most confidence inspiring description.  If my car "sometimes" worked, it'd be in the dealer for repair or replacement as a lemon.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I could certainly be wrong, but sometimes, a player will try to solo this, and if they have a rough time of it, and get defeated - some inmates will wander away while the player chooses to go to the hospital. If they rezzed in place, it would probably never happen. 

In a mission, when you engage in battle with an npc, and then run away, they will chase you - up to a point. For some NPCs that point may actually be through the elevators. Hard to know until you do such things. Within a minute, the npc not finding you will return to the spawn point. Seems like that's what's missing here. 

But does it really make sense for an escaping inmate to wait around for us to prevent his escape? Nope. I think it would be better to have a timer. If they're not defeated within 2-3 minutes or some other reasonable time for most players, the event just resets. 

7 hours ago, Greycat said:

Yes, and when that happens, the event cannot be completed, thus the description of "broken." I've completed it before, too. I've also had it become unable to be completed because of exactly what you described - and the mob *does not* come back, or doesn't count when it seems to. "It sometimes works" is not exactly the most confidence inspiring description.  If my car "sometimes" worked, it'd be in the dealer for repair or replacement as a lemon.

Look if you need it broken down to an easier level to understand level, the event purpose is to stop the prisoners from escaping. If that occurs, you basically fail the event. Or if you would rather finish the event, go find the prisoner that escaped and defeat them. It's not broken, there ya go. 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Haha 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

3 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Look if you need it broken down to an easier level to understand level, the event purpose is to stop the prisoners from escaping. If that occurs, you basically fail the event. Or if you would rather finish the event, go find the prisoner that escaped and defeat them. It's not broken, there ya go. 

Wow, I know it's "talk like a pirate day" and people are talking booty, but this is just being an ass.

If the event had an intentional "Keep them from escaping" - such as, say, the "Prevent 30 fir Bolg from escaping/stop the ritual" from Skipper's ark in Croatoa - there would be a "X have escaped" fail notice, and the event could reset. There is not one. Therefore, no, the point is not actually "stopping prisoners from escaping" in a game mechanics sense. The prisoners also make no attempt TO escape - they will, if people leave them alone, happily stand there staring at the PPD. They only run when generic NPC "run" conditions are met, like any other mob... and then do not return.

ANd that, of course, is only the first and third parts of the event, and utterly irrelevant for the second, which can *also* fail with a (flying, typically,) Freakshow mob haring off somewhere. They are not trying to "escape," which makes your point moot.

In a mission, when you engage in battle with an npc, and then run away, they will chase you - up to a point. For some NPCs that point may actually be through the elevators. Hard to know until you do such things. Within a minute, the npc not finding you will return to the spawn point. Seems like that's what's missing here. 

But does it really make sense for an escaping inmate to wait around for us to prevent his escape? Nope. I think it would be better to have a timer. If they're not defeated within 2-3 minutes or some other reasonable time for most players, the event just resets. 

That's exactly what's missing. A few things, though:

1. There's not a "Prevent from escaping" area defined. From what I've seen and had affect me, it's fairly small.  (It's also "Help the PPD apprehend the prisoners.")

2. Even if you get all the (first wave) prisoners, the second wave is Freakshow. Notoriously, they have flying NPCs. They take off and never come back, as well - and do so quickly and easily.

Also, 3. I went onto test to - well, test - something I was fairly sure I recalled happening - namely, if a prisoner or freakshow gets too far away of the rather nebulous "Defeat here" area, yet you still defeat them, it doesn't count. However... guess what's stuck on test, with no prisoners in sight, for who knows how long.  Since I seem to recall defeating one that ran, with the counter in the corner, and having it not count.

Edited by Greycat
  • Thumbs Up 1

I logged on immediately after the server reboot last Tuesday and headed to Brickstown. Only 12 prisoners had spawned (no prisoner bosses were present). This is a different problem than the other issues that I used to encounter with this event that others described above (a Freakshow flyer is hard to locate).  I'm sad this event isn't working because it's kind of a right of passage for my toons. I like to see how soon I can solo this event.

• Thanks 1

Go find and defeat the escaped prisoner and the event will continue. That is literally all you need to do. If you are struggling with the event solo, try forming a team to help you. For the poster coming up with non-sense reasons that have nothing to do with the event mechanics, go to the suggestion sub forum. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

Go find and defeat the escaped prisoner and the event will continue. That is literally all you need to do. If you are struggling with the event solo, try forming a team to help you. For the poster coming up with non-sense reasons that have nothing to do with the event mechanics, go to the suggestion sub forum. 

https://discord.com/channels/@me/848052469380546570/886607025558159411

I don't think the escaped prisoner is out there.

Please note that I didn't break this, it hasn't been confirmed anyone has, I just want the badge.  It's not an event I'd need any help with.

There's some shared resource here causing this to be an issue on all servers even though obviously the event can be run independently on different servers.

Anyway, here's to hoping it gets fixed soon or eventually.

Regards,
Dave

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, fitzsimmons said:

https://discord.com/channels/@me/848052469380546570/886607025558159411

I don't think the escaped prisoner is out there.

Please note that I didn't break this, it hasn't been confirmed anyone has, I just want the badge.  It's not an event I'd need any help with.

There's some shared resource here causing this to be an issue on all servers even though obviously the event can be run independently on different servers.

Anyway, here's to hoping it gets fixed soon or eventually.

Regards,
Dave

I'm sure there is a bug as you described in the OP, but I've had to reply to another poster who seems to be misunderstanding the event purpose. 

This topic may be better suited in the Bug Report sub forum. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

This happens once and awhile. The Tuesday server restart should fix it.

Stray freakshow are usually easy find, they are usually in the parking lot perimeter.

Prisoners on the other hand. I check the surrounding area, kill what I find, but it doesn't fix it.

No idea where those mobs are hiding.

I opened a ticket about a few days ago, but as you said they cannot fix it.

5 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

This happens once and awhile. The Tuesday server restart should fix it.

Stray freakshow are usually easy find, they are usually in the parking lot perimeter.

Prisoners on the other hand. I check the surrounding area, kill what I find, but it doesn't fix it.

No idea where those mobs are hiding.

I opened a ticket about a few days ago, but as you said they cannot fix it.

The restart doesn’t fix it.

I just caught the behavior post reset, I had a toon parked at the event so I logged in right after the servers came back up and I saw a group of prisoners just in front of the police, they were doing some emotes.  I switched to my badger and by the time I got to zone and the event, someone else was there doing the same thing and they defeated the 12 prisoners.  It was 12.  So now it's stuck at 12 again.

So it looks like the server restart is respawning and placing the 12 there but that's it.  Still server wide issue, I assume.

Thanks,
Dave

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, fitzsimmons said:

I just caught the behavior post reset, I had a toon parked at the event so I logged in right after the servers came back up and I saw a group of prisoners just in front of the police, they were doing some emotes.  I switched to my badger and by the time I got to zone and the event, someone else was there doing the same thing and they defeated the 12 prisoners.  It was 12.  So now it's stuck at 12 again.

So it looks like the server restart is respawning and placing the 12 there but that's it.  Still server wide issue, I assume.

Thanks,
Dave

Yes, I checked also, but didn't see any prisoners.

I am guessing Tuesday restarts are not full restarts most of the time? I mean all components are the "server" are not restarted, only ones that need it.

I suspect the next patch might reset it. Guessing of course, that would cause a full restart.

Sucks because I need those badges too.

• 2 weeks later
3 hours ago, fitzsimmons said:

It's fixed now.  The patch or "full" restart fixed it.  Got my badge, feel free to break it again.

I was working that morning and couldnt lead the prisoners to a successful escape that time.

• Haha 1