Who would want to live in Paragon?

0th Power

On 9/30/2021 at 9:18 PM, Ukase said:

image.png.06541bcf5bd97c513484a266bccea7ea.png

Here's your airport! At least, a runway and some planes.

If anybody is passing and spots a hero standing quietly muttering “please be like GTA, please be like GTA” then that will be me pineing to be able to hijack one!

• Haha 1

What I would really like is to be able to clean up the city, permanently, for real!

You can already do this in Atlas Park. If you do the introductory mission chain straight out of the tutorial, some areas which used to spawn Hellions plotting arson start to spawn PPD patrols instead. This system doesn't seem to have been expanded beyond the starting zones, which is a bit of a pity. Maybe one day, in the far future...

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Some time ago, I thought about suggesting a change that would have any street encounter where you defeated mobs threatening a civilian -- attempted purse snatching or whatever -- to give a reward of 1 inf even if the character would not normally get any reward (i.e., for being too high level, or with a 2x XP boost active). 1 inf is a negligible reward, but it does represent the fact that you're out in public defending civilians. Because I couldn't think of a good way to match it for redside or goldside, I stuck the idea away until I could come up with a solution that worked for each side.

Not a bad idea.  How about make it twice what level you are so it doesn't feel too tiny?  So at 1st level you'd get two XP, and at 50th 100.

Related, I believe I have seen it's possible to get a random drop from greys, I'm pretty sure I got an enhancer booster once.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 10/2/2021 at 4:20 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

That strip got me thinking, maybe we need to give out badges for stopping purse thievery and other "street crimes".

They could make one for every level bracket.

Too bad the game AFAIK doesn't have the ability to remove badges or have timers on badges so that if you don't save so many citizens per week the badge is removed.

They could give it interesting rewards like a +regen or recovery bonus for maintaining the badge that starts high in the lower levels and goes down as you level and maintain the badge, but is still something people who eek out every little bonus at 50 would want.

On 10/2/2021 at 7:02 PM, Clave Dark 5 said:

Related, I believe I have seen it's possible to get a random drop from greys, I'm pretty sure I got an enhancer booster once.

I get convertors with some regularity from mobs as far as -10 to me, and occasionally from whacking the odd purse snatcher in AP (which would generally be -20 or more), but I don't whack the purse snatchers often enough to make a proper statistical sample.

Update: I got a convertor from defeating a level 14 Clockwork boss as a level 45 Corruptor, so you can get convertors from mobs at least as far down as -31.

Edited by srmalloy
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 1:27 PM, 0th Power said:

Why do people live there?

Its riddled with crime.  Street level to world ending and everything in-between

There's a prison in the middle of the city.  Not good for property values.

Literally giant monsters roam free.

Home to a nuclear reactor that is attacked weekly.

No recreation.  What is there to do besides go to a park (and get mugged)?  The only night club still operating is interdimensional.  Why dont we have any sports stadiums, golf course, etc.? (I think there is a bowling alley, right?) 

If it was me I'd take the first plane outta there.... Oh wait... No airport...

Riddled with crime <check>

Street Level to world ending (i.e. corporate) <check>

Prisons <check>

Nuclear Reactors <sometimes>

No recreation <covid lockdowns>

With the exception of giant monsters, sounds like almost any major American city atm. :)

And I agree, I would never live in a city of any kind.

Edited by krj12
  • Like 1

It should be noted that even if someone wants to leave their area, it may not be feasible to do so.  Moving is NOT cheap.  It's not easy to acquire housing and employment in another town at the best of times; trying to do so when you can't afford the gas to get over there is out of the question.

• Like 1

Update:  there is (are maybe, I only saw one) a bowling alley in paragon.

Side note.  We need a mission there. The mission entry text, “As you enter thick cigarette smoke clouds you vision. The aroma of stale beer and nacho cheese are overwhelming.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 0th Power said:

Update:  there is (are maybe, I only saw one) a bowling alley in paragon.

Side note.  We need a mission there. The mission entry text, “As you enter thick cigarette smoke clouds you vision. The aroma of stale beer and nacho cheese are overwhelming.”

And the guy behind the desk hassles you into renting bowling shoes for five hundred Inf.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I seem to remember a similar discussion some time ago, and some Makeshift Lore that was presented.

The White Plains Mall and Convention Center was located at coordinates are (2949.6, -18.5, -5637.6). Ouch. It is extremely Flat now.

The Baumton Airport was North of the City, and south East of Croatoa. It was on the east side of the Zone and oriented so planes take off toward the Ocean. This is noted with an Icon on the city Map. Skyway Int Airport is also marked to be between Skyway City and Talos Island.

Cats all evolved into higher lifeforms or Pocket D Regulars, or both, and spend the rest of their time at ICON.

Dogs all became Monsters or Social Workers, with Most living life for Clandestine Meetings at the nearest Fire Hydrant.

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

My assumption is that all of the parts of Paragon City that aren't contained within the War Walls are more "normal":

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/images/b/bd/Citymap-i26.jpg

Also, I have a Headcanon explains it this way: All Heroes and Villains, PC and NPC are actually kids running around the city in makeshift costumes. The reason that NPC Citizens calmly walk past firefights and merely wave is because they are Adults, and see us as kids playing make believe. The reason that Citizens can push us out of the way without even slowing down is because they're actually twice our size. The citizens that actually interact with us are just being friendly and playing along.