Travel powers... who knew?

Rinwen

Hello folks,

I just realized last night when my Tanker, who already had Air Superiority, hit lv 10... that he could, and did, select Fly as a travel power.

I thought you had to be lv 14?

Apparently not.

Did this change while the game was live, or is this a Homecoming thing?

Either way, very glad to see it.

On Homecoming you can select a travel power without prerequisites as early as lvl 4. IIRC, on official servers a veteran reward unlocked the ability to do the same but at level 6.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

On Homecoming you can select a travel power without prerequisites as early as lvl 4. IIRC, on official servers a veteran reward unlocked the ability to do the same but at level 6.

It wasn't a vet reward. It was a change made to the main game. Everyone, even brand new players could get a full travel power by level 6.

Son of a...

I'm going to rebuild some lv 10 characters and rethink my sub lv 10 builds.

Thank you.

Super Speed with a stealth IO at early levels gives you 65 feet PVE stealth, which is pretty near invisibility for most enemy groups.  Add in Recall Friend at an early level and it really helps with a number of the Task Forces where you only need to beat a boss at the end.

You could also just go to the P2W vendor and get the jump pack and ninja run and just...not get a travel power until much much later in the build. Combined with the jetpack you get from banks you can toggle on/off only when needed it's very quite manageable to forego travel powers

You could also just go to the P2W vendor and get the jump pack and ninja run and just...not get a travel power until much much later in the build. Combined with the jetpack you get from banks you can toggle on/off only when needed it's very quite manageable to forego travel powers

Yes, I've done that with some characters... ninja run especially.  Frankly for a couple of my characters that will be their only travel power as it's very appropriate, much more so than the normal travel powers.

For some of my characters though a particular travel power ASAP, is equally appropriate.  For still others, you're 100% spot on.

Love the increased flexibility and freedom.

I still prefer getting powers to help me fight versus getting a travel power, so I have found I tend to get it by 12. P2W Vendor is an easy sub.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

It wasn't a vet reward. It was a change made to the main game. Everyone, even brand new players could get a full travel power by level 6.

By level 4, actually. Everyone on live could get a TP by 4 but most just took hasten then got a power by 6+

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

I remember back at launch you couldn't fly until much later. It was a big complaint because champions online gave you a travel power right out of the tutorial and you could fly.

CO didn't exist at launch, it came out just before Issue 16 (and was created by Cryptic after being cut loose and replaced by NC NorCal which iirc later became Paragon Studios as the CoX dev team).

EDIT: CoX was literally the first of its kind. DCUO and CO came later, and are pale imitations even in this day and age (except the freeform character creator and variety of travel powers - swinging, tunneling, etc - in CO).

It was Issue 21 that reduced the required levels of the travel powers from 14 to 4, and also added the fifth power in each travel pool, so it was relatively late in the game.

I remember before that, if you were a villain with a decent stealth power, it was fairly easy to sneak into Grandville and grab a jetpack from the vendor. (Or even log out there and get a jetpack from the Grandville day job)

You dont even "need" a travel power, several of my characters use nothing but ninja run (free from p2w vendor) combined with sprint even at 50.

I've ran multiple characters who didn't even use Ninja Run. In large part because that was a vet reward, and thus not available till late in the game's life.

If you were still under the impression you had to wait until 14 to get a travel power, you may also not be aware that (during Live), Hover speed underwent some massive buffs compared to how it was at launch.

By the time Live shut down, and now on Homecoming, Hover is significantly faster than it was in the early days. :)

If you were still under the impression you had to wait until 14 to get a travel power, you may also not be aware that (during Live), Hover speed underwent some massive buffs compared to how it was at launch.

By the time Live shut down, and now on Homecoming, Hover is significantly faster than it was in the early days. :)

I remember a short comic strip in one of the CoH comic issues featuring a neophyte hero.

"Level six! YES! I can fly now!"

*two hours later the young hero has barely made it half way across the street*

"Level six sucks..."

I laughed so hard because it was so true. I had a friend who used Hover to get around in the Hollows safely. And it took him forever to reach his missions.

I laughed so hard because it was so true. I had a friend who used Hover to get around in the Hollows safely. And it took him forever to reach his missions.

Yep I did this with my first toon in Live, I was on a team too and by the time I made it halfway across the Hollows the team had defeated Frostfire and I had done nothing to help.

Yep I did this with my first room in Live, I was on a team too and by the time I made it halfway across the Hollows the team had defeated Frostfire and I had done nothing to help.

<geezer voice>, you young-ins don't know how good you got it.  Back when I first started when we were defeated in the Hollows we had to go to the Hospital in Atlas Park, and then run all the way back to Hollows, thru 2 ft of Hellions, going uphill both ways, without a major travel power, then through 20 ft deep trenches of trolls and igneous.  Darn whippersnappers

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Yep I did this with my first room in Live, I was on a team too and by the time I made it halfway across the Hollows the team had defeated Frostfire and I had done nothing to help.

<geezer voice>, you young-ins don't know how good you got it.  Back when I first started when we were defeated in the Hollows we had to go to the Hospital in Atlas Park, and then run all the way back to Hollows, thru 2 ft of Hellions, going uphill both ways, without a major travel power, then through 20 ft deep trenches of trolls and igneous.  Darn whippersnappers

It’s funny cause of you go through the cisterns in the North it totally is uphill both ways.

It's funny because I always "complained" about not having a travel power at low levels. Now that I can get it, I realized I really don't want it that early because you (I) really need the attacks and secondary powers at that point. I don't pick up a travel power until around 10.

Yeah, I was so happy when they added both a trainer and field hospital to the Hollows during the attempt to launch CoH in Korea.

I remember a short comic strip in one of the CoH comic issues featuring a neophyte hero.

"Level six! YES! I can fly now!"

*two hours later the young hero has barely made it half way across the street*

"Level six sucks..."

I remember when I got my first character to level 6 and picked up Hover.  The first thing I did was fly up to the top of the Atlas statue (very slowly) - I just wanted to see the world from that perspective.

Once I got up there, I ran into another player who was flying around and we struck up a conversation.  At one point they must have noticed my level or examined my toon's info, because I suddenly got this tell: "You HOVERED all the way up here?!?"