CoH on a projector

Maagic

19 hours ago, Psyonico said:

I'd say the concern is burn-in if you're playing for long periods at a time.

LCD devices don't tend to burn. CRT and plasma do.

Bulb and LED backlight life is finite, though.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Yeah, lamp life is a big concern if you game long hours.  I used to game on a projector like that and I think I worked out that it was costing me 20-25 cents an hour or something like that.

But it was also annoying to have to keep the room dark.  I have a home theater setup in the living room, so there's lots of windows to put blackout drapes over.

These days I am addicted to variable-refresh-rate as well so I game on a desktop.  Cheaper and better image quality really.  To get the same features in a projector can be 4x the cost.  Or at least it was last I looked which is admittedly a few years back by now.

19 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

LCD devices don't tend to burn. CRT and plasma do.

Bulb and LED backlight life is finite, though.

Incorrect.  Even LED and LCD have ghosting over time.  Since the effect presents similar to "burn in", it's fair to use the term.
With LED/LCD, the effect is more about bright vs dark.  With defined areas that see almost constant brightness showing ghosting after extended use.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

7 hours ago, Vanden said:

I see the advantages in space savings, but other than that projector screens seem like the worst option for gaming and media.

Depending on your layout, you're not really saving any space.

In the OP, notice that the projector screen is about a foot off the wall.

That's more than what you'd see from a wall-mount for a larger LCD/LED/whatever flat panel screen.

Decent digital projector lamp replacements are $300-500.
Bulbs have a lifespan of 1000-2000 hours (83 days)
The lamp assembly is, optimally, about 20k.  So about 2 years.

And that is NOT factoring in essentially "always on" use on a computer rig.
Basically halve the lifespan of components used in this fashion.

Given this fact, it makes something like this a better buy in the long run.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824716003

This is a gaming-oriented monitor.

If you're willing to accept something slower (6ms refresh), you can get refurbished 80" Samsung screens for a couple hundred bucks more.

Then simply find a properly weight-rated wall mount and go to town.

6 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Depending on your layout, you're not really saving any space.

In the OP, notice that the projector screen is about a foot off the wall.

That's more than what you'd see from a wall-mount for a larger LCD/LED/whatever flat panel screen.

Sure, but you don't have to have the screen up all the time. You could have something like shelving or cabinets in the same spot. But yeah, other than that, I wouldn't go projector for my primary display.

6 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Given this fact, it makes something like this a better buy in the long run.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824716003

This is a gaming-oriented monitor.

Hm, an OLED display for a computer monitor, though? OLED is very vulnerable to burn-in from my experience. I owned an LG C7 OLED television, and after a year I could see the ghost of Overwatch's ultimate charge meter whenever the screen was showing something red in the same spot. Computers have a lot of UI elements that stay largely unchanging for hours at a time, like Windows's task bar or your web browser's list of tabs. I guess you could use it for only gaming, and have a second monitor for more mundane computer tasks.

On the other hand, I guess technology gets better all the time. I have an OLED C9 television now, and still play Overwatch, but no sign of burn-in on the newer model, yet.

7 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Incorrect.  Even LED and LCD have ghosting over time.  Since the effect presents similar to "burn in", it's fair to use the term.
With LED/LCD, the effect is more about bright vs dark.  With defined areas that see almost constant brightness showing ghosting after extended use.

I think you're conflating 2-1/2 different technologies, here.

LCD (with lamp backlighting) and what's been called 'LED' for over a decade (LCD with passive or active LED backlighting) haven't been prone to ghosting, shading or burning for a long time. Old ones, yes, Early ones, yes, Cheap ones, yes. And any of the above used for things like permanent signage, display and kiosks will certainly start to shadow, usually after a year or more of continuous use. But I haven't seen anything like a "Nickelodeon burn" on an LCD/'LED' screen used more normally in a long, long time. The LCD shutter used in a projector tends to be even more resistant unless it's a really cheap unit.

IOW, I can't see a few dozen hours of gameplay, even with a few fixed UI elements, causing any damage whatsover, any more than it does on a desktop or laptop screen using much the same tech.

OLED, on the other hand, is a completely different technology, more the heir to plasma than anything remotely like LCD/'LED'. Yes, just like plasma, the display cells can fade and shift and thus "burn." The first few gens of OLED, especially in larger screens, were about like most early plasma displays in this respect and may never really get any better due to inherent lifespan issues with the pixel elements.

But even NIck moves its bugs around now. 🙂

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

3 hours ago, Vanden said:

Sure, but you don't have to have the screen up all the time. You could have something like shelving or cabinets in the same spot. But yeah, other than that, I wouldn't go projector for my primary display.

Hm, an OLED display for a computer monitor, though? OLED is very vulnerable to burn-in from my experience. I owned an LG C7 OLED television, and after a year I could see the ghost of Overwatch's ultimate charge meter whenever the screen was showing something red in the same spot. Computers have a lot of UI elements that stay largely unchanging for hours at a time, like Windows's task bar or your web browser's list of tabs. I guess you could use it for only gaming, and have a second monitor for more mundane computer tasks.

On the other hand, I guess technology gets better all the time. I have an OLED C9 television now, and still play Overwatch, but no sign of burn-in on the newer model, yet.

The monitor comes with a function that helps reduce burn in effects.
They just require a bit of extra maintenance that other types of display don't.

10 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

The monitor comes with a function that helps reduce burn in effects.
They just require a bit of extra maintenance that other types of display don't.

I had to laugh at the part where he's looking through the settings on the monitor, especially when he thinks it just looks "weird" and goes hunting through settings to see what changed. That's exactly what happens to me. And if any of you reading this post start investing in cutting-edge consumer technology like LG's OLED monitors and TVs...

358207.jpg?b64lines=SXQnbGwgaGFwcGVuIHRvIHlvdS4=

Edited by Vanden

1 hour ago, Vanden said:

I had to laugh at the part where he's looking through the settings on the monitor, especially when he thinks it just looks "weird" and goes hunting through settings to see what changed. That's exactly what happens to me. And if any of you reading this post start investing in cutting-edge consumer technology like LG's OLED monitors and TVs...

358207.jpg?b64lines=SXQnbGwgaGFwcGVuIHRvIHlvdS4=

LOL!

• 2 weeks later

Laser pico-projectors and micro-LED displays are both looking promising, though. Apple went with microLED displays on their new notebooks. Maybe it'll catch on, and last?

We'll see in a few years.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)