How do you afford art? (A discussion, not a question)

_Kai_

So I'm curious, without derailing other threads, how people decide to buy commissioned art.

With specific birthday/holiday/bonus money?
Do you have an 'art' budget?

Whenever the whim strikes you?

Anything under X amount?

Only things on sale/by friends/on a specific platform?

@Draggynn you seem to have the same system that I do, a sort of 'fun allowance' that can be used for commissioned art or new games or books, is that right?

I admit that's where I ended up after a couple of failed attempts at curbing my habit, the first being setting a 'per piece' limit(that I then regularly made excuses as to why it was okay to go over...) and the second being setting a 'number of pieces' limit per three months(to which then at least one someone I had been waiting for commissions to open for would open and I'd say 'but who knows when they will open again' and break that one)

This is a good question. Subjective obviously - but my opinion is that my favorite art is stuff that I have received for free or as a trade for something of value that is not money. I put a lot of feelings in to a piece of art, which translates to value to me. The longer I own it, the more valuable to me it becomes. My grandfather had a print of an Moose in a river which he gifted to me after he passed. I really loved that print when I was a kid, I loved it even more after I got it, and each time I see it, it gives me joy. How much would I pay for it? That's a tough question - if I saw it on the street or in a studio, but it didn't have that emotional value, probably $50. If I had to place a value on it including the emotional value, I'd say $500 easily.

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Back when I was getting commissioned hero art on the regular, what I'd do is set aside a little bit each month and when I had enough in the commission range for the artist I was considering, I'd contact them and just cover anything I was missing.  I would usually see an artist I'd love the work of and keep an eye out.

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

It falls into the same category as any other "disposable" expenditure.  Skip getting a coffee or meal while out, and instead have something at home - do that a few times and you can easily afford a commission, video game, etc - It's all about delaying gratification...

Edited by biostem

• 1 month later
  • 1 month later

Didn't notice this topic before, just did while looking through for something else.

I don't really commission any more. In part because a lot of the people I used to commission are gone, or not taking commissions or whatnot, and in part because I like messing around with my own via Daz Studio - which, honestly, I initially picked up in order to *help* kind of illustrate ideas and such for commissions I wanted!

When I was commissioning (back on live,) it was very much a "groceries bought, bills are paid, and I have an idea," sometimes mixed with "and they're on sale" or "ooh, nice style, I'll commission them for a piece." Sometimes I'd budget and save up if there's someone I knew would cost more. It really varied, but... yeah. Basics first.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Commissioning art kind of faded from my interests but the first piece I got commissioned was kind of a lark. By 2010, I was earning a ton of overtime each week so I budgeted out of that excess and reached my pinnacle of getting work done through most of that year into a bit of 2011. As I recall, around that time I had some artists ghost after payment without producing the work and a couple of commission I was not pleased with so I bowed out.

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Big League || Blue Weasel || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Asmodeus || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Eye || French Roast || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Iron Agent || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter || Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Cheetah || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Technoid || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

On 11/9/2021 at 12:56 PM, Trike said:

If you’ve got your bills and responsibilities covered, I say treat yourself.

I bought this photo https://www.instagram.com/p/BipF8hiAWyv/?utm_medium=copy_link and the price is staggering… as in it cost more than my first two cars combined. But every time I see it I smile. I love it.

Well someone's been having a good day on the market!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝