Power Pool: Super Senses

Take One

I wish there was a power pool with super-senses that could let us do on purpose what sometimes happens on accident, i.e. what we're seeing in this screenshot:

image.thumb.png.34163f7ba7ecd039badf8063113ae374.png

This looks like X-ray vision or something, or perhaps some kind of "life sense" or infra-vision since I can see the "warm" bodies and flames. It would be great if I could just turn on a toggle to see this so I could look around for enemies and other interesting things. That the walls and everything else disappears means that this is less exploitable, as it makes it nearly impossible to play/fight in this visual mode.

As for what other powers could be in a super-senses pool, how about making the sound of "glowies" stronger, or make them visible on the map when you get close enough. Making enemies show up on the minimap would also be nice. A +perception power would be a given. Maybe some kind of analyzing power that reveals powers and weaknesses in your enemies, debuffing their resistance/defense. This has been discussed before, but I never managed to get a screenshot like that above before, which illustrated perfectly what I would like to see in an x-ray vision toggle.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

Know what's funny?

Have to *not* play this video past the time mark (0:50) but look at the very bottom of the list scrolling by:

(that early, early - alpha? - power list also had things like "Super Personality.")

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

4 hours ago, Take One said:

As for what other powers could be in a super-senses pool, how about making the sound of "glowies" stronger, or make them visible on the map when you get close enough. Making enemies show up on the minimap would also be nice. A +perception power would be a given. Maybe some kind of analyzing power that reveals powers and weaknesses in your enemies, debuffing their resistance/defense. This has been discussed before, but I never managed to get a screenshot like that above before, which illustrated perfectly what I would like to see in an x-ray vision toggle.

Actually, this is a very cool idea.  The "analyzing power" you describe already exists in Surveillance so that is an easy port; a +Perception power is also an easy port.

The rest of it is very utilitarian, but doesn't seem to induce scary power-creep.  Of course the rest of it is subject to Standard Code Rant, but it is a solid idea nonetheless.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

On 11/10/2021 at 7:53 AM, Greycat said:

Know what's funny?

Have to *not* play this video past the time mark (0:50) but look at the very bottom of the list scrolling by:

(that early, early - alpha? - power list also had things like "Super Personality.")

Did anyone else notice the other villain groups?

killing crew

revelation

twilight men

fear factor

Any guesses on what they turned into?

52 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

Did anyone else notice the other villain groups?

killing crew

revelation

twilight men

fear factor

Any guesses on what they turned into?

There was some discussion on it on the old guide I had on the original forum:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120905065800/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=117073

The Killing Crew was apparently the basis or the original Sky Raiders.

Twilight Men = Malta

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 11/10/2021 at 6:53 AM, Greycat said:

Know what's funny?

....and Shape Shifting ....

/e poofgone

Very helpful for finding hostages/last enemies, but my first thought on seeing that screenshot was: "I should be able to target those guys, and abduct one of them with teleport other".  The ability to remotely scope and then remove key enemies from a group is a very stalker-ish setup, and I'd definitely be taking that pair on a couple of them.

A few ideas for your pool:

Sleuth / Treasure finding: 

A glowing highlight appears around the edges of all glowies on your current floor.  This highlight is visible through walls/objects.

Bloodhound:

Reveals all hostages on the floor, but not the enemies guarding them.  Similar to other powers in the set, they (or an outline of them) are visible through walls. 

Xray / Infra vision:

The posted image/idea.  See all enemies through walls, can target enemies as if no wall was in the way.  (Still need actual LoS for most attacks though).  An option to have walls still visible, just almost transparent (or wireframe, for tech theme) would be nice.

Sense Weakness:

Reveals a weak spot on your opponent, either increasing your chance to crit (all classes) or lowering their resistances for a few seconds.

Outmaneuver:

You can sense how your opponent will attempt to dodge, allowing you to hit them anyways.  Reduces your target's defenses for a few seconds.

Props for an imaginative suggestion.

Not sure how it would work gamewise, but I like the idea.  

EQ2 had different vision types.  Some races had darkvision, some had some magic vision or something.  But I never ended up using them even if they were available.