Rad/Staff-do I need to take Taunt with Beta Decay?

JnEricsonx

You don't. No one -needs- Taunt. But it's useful so many people still do. This is something you must get a feel for yourself.

I personally don't.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do on my Fire/Claws and my Rad/Martial Tank. I like having the ability to annoy someone across the room from me without moving. Plus the -range in the Taunt is nice for "Come a lil closer". 

I know once they get into melee Beta or Fire Aura will keep them close but I do like having Taunt as an option personally. 

I didn't know about the -range part.  You learn something every day.

It's innate to the ability? You don't need an IO for that? Meaning, if there are 5-6 range dudes over ther, I target one, use taunt and suddenly, it will feel an urge to come eat my AoEs up close?  Will it affect the other mobs around it?

The main benefits of Taunt are the inherent -range effect it has and, simply, that it's a ranged autohit AoE power.  You can grab aggro from 70 feet away without having to go to it.  That's nice if you have punch-voked a group of enemies and then there are stragglers.  But you can do similar with another AoE like Ball Lightning if you want. It just won't be autohit and it won't have the -range effect.  But for most mobs it does the job.

I take Taunt myself every time.  It's just too useful if tanking for a  team is what you want to do.  It's not that you can't do without it.  It's that it makes it easier to do.  It also needs no extra enhancement slots.

51 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

it will feel an urge to come eat my AoEs up close?

As I understand it, it's a -100% range debuff, but there's a floor of 25% range.  So there are still mobs, most especially Snipers, who will never get close enough for your AoEs, even taunted by a Tanker.  But it works well enough for most others because they have more moderate ranged attacks.  A 70 foot rifle shot from a Nemesis means coming in just under 20 feet to keep shooting you.  And once they are that close, they are that much more likely to want to use their one melee attack as well, which brings them the rest of the way in on their own.

2 hours ago, Carnifax said:

I like having the ability to annoy someone across the room from me without moving. Plus the -range in the Taunt is nice for "Come a lil closer". 

...and keeping it a single slot, you can use the Perfect Zinger chance for Psi damage proc, to insult them to the level of causing damage 😝

I use this model, on all my tankers.

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Taunt is a level 47 or 49 power pick

Most enemy attacks have an 80ft range

Taunt has a -75% range effect

20ft after taunt

melee range is 7ft in most cases

builds are just too tight most of the time to even think about taunt and its limited low-mid level effectiveness

please dont anecdote me

• Like 1

The extremely awesome build I used for my Rad/Claw (courtesy of @Carnifax ) has taunt, which I immediately dismissed because I thought I knew things.

But then, courtesy of @SeraphimKensai and Carnifax I learned a new thing.

Don't you just love being surrounded by capable people?  I do. 

Funny that.  Currently reading an awesome book called "The subtle art or not giving a F*ck" , which is opening my eyes to many, many things. One of which, I just read yesterday night:  "You think you know things, but you don't. You are wrong about everything, and that is a good thing, it means you can learn and improve. Constantly. Every day."

So yeah. I will try Taunt.  Praise Carnifax and his excellent Taunt-including builds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

So yeah. I will try Taunt.  Praise Carnifax and his excellent Taunt-including builds.

There are people here who are WAY better at builds than I am. I mostly nicked off of them (@Sovera for the Fire/Claws and a whole heap of folk for the Rad/MA)

You just got lucky you requested a hybrid of my two good / mostly-stolen builds 😂

4 hours ago, kelika2 said:

Taunt is a level 47 or 49 power pick

Most enemy attacks have an 80ft range

Taunt has a -75% range effect

20ft after taunt

melee range is 7ft in most cases

builds are just too tight most of the time to even think about taunt and its limited low-mid level effectiveness

please dont anecdote me

20 is fine for me. That's close enough for Rad Therapy / Nukey-boom-boom.

What IS the new Tank AT modifier for AoEs anyway?

17 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

There are people here who are WAY better at builds than I am. I mostly nicked off of them (@Sovera for the Fire/Claws and a whole heap of folk for the Rad/MA)

You just got lucky you requested a hybrid of my two good / mostly-stolen builds 😂

Oh it works.  Daaaaaaaaamn it works.  Such an incredible proc-machine and so much fun to play.  Survivable and nasty.

The original idea was here, the character was created, levelled to 8 and then kinda sorta left alone for my next alt-fling.  Then I remembered I wanted to play this, found your build and since then, I honestly can't play anything else.

2 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

Oh it works.  Daaaaaaaaamn it works.  Such an incredible proc-machine and so much fun to play.  Survivable and nasty.

If it doesn't already have one... find a way to put Superior Avalanche: Rech/Chance for KD in Ground Zero.  You will thank me later.  Put that one and another from Avalanche in there and get the +15% slow resistance if you need any more of that too. 

3 hours ago, Carnifax said:

What IS the new Tank AT modifier for AoEs anyway?

You mean the inherent arc/radius boost?  It's +50% radius to AoEs and +50% arc to cones.   I think it does not apply to pets or pseudo-pets however.  Can't be certain, but I don't think so.   Ice Patch on my Ice tanker does not seem to have a larger radius, for example.   Certain other powers have specifically disabled the tanker inherent boost to arc/radius.  Foot Stomp is one.  It was already 15ft radius and devs decided not to allow it to get bigger.  You see that here in CoD:

image.png.50a55aaac83522b17d69f66edef1f654.png

Hover on that little red exclamation point and you see radius strength doesn't work on Foot Stomp.  That means it stays at the listed radius for Tankers.  Ground Zero, however, has no such tag.  So its 15ft radius should be 22.5ft on Tankers.  Oh and it hits thirty targets.  It's bonkers!  Rad Therapy is bigger at 20ft radius (30ft for Tankers) but only hits 10 enemies in that huge area.  Still nice.  If you have a spread out spawn, it's a nice way to taunt 10 of them (and everyone in a 10ft radius around each of those targets) with one button press while dealing a good chunk of damage.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

If it doesn't already have one... find a way to put Superior Avalanche: Rech/Chance for KD in Ground Zero.  You will thank me later.  Put that one and another from Avalanche in there and get the +15% slow resistance if you need any more of that too. 

I already have that in Spin, which makes sense since it's used 2-3 times more often? I'm really not good with procs.

6 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

I already have that in Spin, which makes sense since it's used 2-3 times more often? I'm really not good with procs.

Nah, it's fine in Spin. It's just HILARIOUS in Ground Zero because it hits so many targets and has a 90% proc rate there.  It'll only proc a little better than a third of the time in Spin but you're using it six times as often as Ground Zero.

But give it a try sometime just for giggles.  Cost you a few unslotters to swap it back and forth but worth seeing what it does vs. a full team sized spawn... or two at once.

Oh that's for sure.  I may not have any 50s yet but that's mainly because my main CoH kick is marketing (instead of just playing the damn game) so, I'm swimming in inf, I can try all sorts of crazy builds just for giggles 🙂

Edited by Aeroprism