How good is electrical blast?

Ruanek

Some friends and I are wanting to get into the game, and I haven't played in a really long time. I remember electrical blast generally being unpopular, is it still one of the weaker sets? I'm thinking of going electrical blast / electrical affinity but I don't want to be horribly suboptimal.

You'll likely want to pop onto Beta and see the new changes for yourself. Early returns say they are quite good.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I tested an elec/dark/soul on Beta and found it to be very powerful and fun. /Dark is an amazing set that improves everything attached to it, and with Elec's new mechanics and power boost from /Soul it can really shut down a mob. Tons of soft controls, debuffs, end drain, recovery drain, scourge, Shocked crits, and two pets following you around. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Would a Lightning/kinetic corruptor be strong now?

it seems like there is nice synergy there with the end drain in kinetics contributing to shocked proc rates while giving you health and endurance, along with good buffs.  Also fulcrum shift means bigger damage to proc shocked or scourge from.

Am I missing something now that there is a benefit to drain endurance in pve?

Would this combo not quickly drain single targets?

Would Aim > soul drain > fulcrum shift > ball lightning > short circuit > thunderous blast not just wreck everything?

2 hours ago, Ic3train said:

Would a Lightning/kinetic corruptor be strong now?

it seems like there is nice synergy there with the end drain in kinetics contributing to shocked proc rates while giving you health and endurance, along with good buffs.  Also fulcrum shift means bigger damage to proc shocked or scourge from.

Am I missing something now that there is a benefit to drain endurance in pve?

Would this combo not quickly drain single targets?

Would Aim > soul drain > fulcrum shift > ball lightning > short circuit > thunderous blast not just wreck everything?

Some enemy types will still resist the energy drain effect but in general it seems like a real good combo/synergy!

1 hour ago, DreadShinobi said:

There's little point to soul drain (and even aim) when you have fulcrum shift. 

I like Soul Drain on my DP/Kin, both as a Fulc top-up and because its another PBAoE to throw in after one. Fulc alone may not keep me fully topped up. Ive Dark Consumption for the same reason (plus set bonuses)

If it gets tweaked to the Soul version I'd think twice about it.

On 11/28/2021 at 6:31 PM, Chargestone said:

Defenders probably got the best of revamped electrical blast than other ATs.

I was interested in this! Which archetype would use the revamped Elec blast best.  I was thinking maybe Sentinels, since it was already strong on them in the first place. What makes you say Defenders?

20 hours ago, StriderIV said:

I was interested in this! Which archetype would use the revamped Elec blast best.  I was thinking maybe Sentinels, since it was already strong on them in the first place. What makes you say Defenders?

I believe he is referring to defenders getting more end drain secondary effect than other AT making shock mechanic work smoother. I believe this to be right depending on the level but most AT in time can get the end drain with the right combos.

When it comes to Sent IMO  have the better Tesla cage mechanic but can also get the drain done with little effort once max level  and built. Do to being able to get Thunderous Blast down to 26 sec  = largest end drain power per application with a quick recharge. 

That being said a Sentinel is still only as good as the secondary power set you combine it with just like many AT with elec blast.

Edited by Ironscarlet
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2021 at 4:49 PM, StriderIV said:

9 hours ago, Ironscarlet said:

I believe he is referring to defenders getting more end drain secondary effect than other AT making shock mechanic work smoother. I believe this to be right depending on the level but most AT in time can get the end drain with the right combos.

When it comes to Sent IMO  have the better Tesla cage mechanic but can also get the drain done with little effort once max level  and built. Do to being able to get Thunderous Blast down to 26 sec  = largest end drain power per application with a quick recharge. 

That being said a Sentinel is still only as good as the secondary power set you combine it with just like many AT with elec blast.

Yes, I was referring to end drain secondary effect; Poison [Weaken], TA, Kin, or Elec with Power Boost. You should able to sap regular enemies quickly.

I'm not going to lie, Elec Blast is pretty strong on Sentinels. However, as a whole AT, it's WEAK. Their damage is close to Tanks. Hoo, that's not good.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chargestone said:

Yes, I was referring to end drain secondary effect; Poison [Weaken], TA, Kin, or Elec with Power Boost. You should able to sap regular enemies quickly.

I'm not going to lie, Elec Blast is pretty strong on Sentinels. However, as a whole AT, it's WEAK. Their damage is close to Tanks. Hoo, that's not good.

Hmmmm good to know. I could see Elec/Elec Defenders being some endurance drain kings.

I've been playing my Elec/Thermal Corruptor and Thermal/Elec Defender and thoroughly prefer the Corruptor (even though I want the Defender to be better).

I have some endurance modification slotted in my blasts and it is comically easy to drain full groups.

Unfortunately, this causes a lot of runners.

I think that Corruptors got the better tradeoff; with 1.1x (instead of 1.25x) on End Drain it is still easy to flatline enemies. 

Then you have higher "Shock" damage & Scourge.

The damage output difference between the two is much much more noticeable than the end drain effect.  For me, anyway.

Edited by bigfashizzel
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later

I'm very curious how the new post-buff Tesla Cage is on corrupters.  Basically as a proc'd out version (5 dmg procs and an acc/dmg IO).  Is the chaining any good?  Does the power still have an annoying slow cast time?

I see a lot of builds taking a proc'd Tesla Cage but not taking Short Circuit, which with its sped-up  animation and wide radius (20') seems to me to be good / better now (given its end-drain setting up Shocked).  

Worth trying to fit both into a build?  Elec/Cold seems the obvious choice.

Tesla Cage is still hot garbage.  Procs do not apply to it's chains.

End drain is actually worse than it used to be since it isn't going to stop anything from attacking anymore/you can't end drain things that matter.

Shocked will bring extra damage and Voltaic Sentinel is a must take power now.  But never try to end drain, it's pointless.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 5:17 PM, DarknessEternal said:

Shocked will bring extra damage and Voltaic Sentinel is a must take power now.  But never try to end drain, it's pointless.

I've been running a blaster and I've been running a blaster with Electrical Blast and I've been able to drain enemies pretty consistently.  Most of the time it doesn't matter, but the drain improvements to Aim coupled with Thunderous blast kill all the lower levels and leave bosses drained or close to it.  Short Circuit does a great job of taking up the rest.  Drain when solo is workable, and I've drained both Winter Event EBs.  On a team, well, its like everything else, they don't last long enough.

Edit: just an update, made a Elec/Elec Defender, now 43,  I'm finding that using Power Build Up from Power Mastery Epic along with Thunderous Blast and Short Circuit, I've been able to drain EBs in Tina Macintyre's Anti-Matter Collision/The Instant Army Arc and defeat them solo and I was able to drain a GM Snow Beast and keep it drained as the rest of my four member group beat it down.  Note, they will do an an occasional attack, but no where near what they normally do.  Oh, and draining Fake Nemesis to nothing is a blast, you have to keep shooting them but, man, watching them try and be unable to do the invulnerability shield is hilarious. 

Edited by laudwic
  • Like 1

People seem to be taking issue with me saying end drain is pointless.

I did not say you couldn't end drain things, I said it was pointless.

Anything boss and lower dies to fast to care about end drain.  Anything EB and bigger can't be end drained out of attacks, and most of them can't be end drained at all.  The act of end draining intentionally is pointless.  It's worth less than ever to try and end drain something instead of trying to kill it.

On 11/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, TheFabledAble said:

I made a Lightning Blast/Lightning Manipulation corruptor which has been fantastic! The corruptor's inherent ability stacks really well with the shock effect that got added to lightning blast. Often enemies end up with 0 end and just stand there awkwardly as theyre shocked to death

The only reason I haven't played my Elec^2 Corr to do exactly this is because 80% of my logged in time since this Page released was spent doing the exact same thing on my Elec Sentinel and Blaster.  😄

Bottom line, I'm really digging the new changes, across all ATs.