I like what Rebirth did with Ice Melee here.

Solarverse

8 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

They also had an option for Assassin's Strike that looked like an Ice Spike that Impales the target that juts out from the fist that I thought looked awesome.

That's their default animation: their power is called assassin's icicle, whereas ours is assassin's ice sword and is a sword by default.

I agree that the icicle look is a good option, and one somewhat low impact way we might diversify our set would be to import the icicle look for our sword attacks.  That preserves the connection between those attacks' lethal damage and the animation, while still making the power seem a little more less of a "I can just make anything it of ice."

13 minutes ago, aethereal said:

That's their default animation: their power is called assassin's icicle, whereas ours is assassin's ice sword and is a sword by default.

I agree that the icicle look is a good option, and one somewhat low impact way we might diversify our set would be to import the icicle look for our sword attacks.  That preserves the connection between those attacks' lethal damage and the animation, while still making the power seem a little more less of a "I can just make anything it of ice."

Wait, what was it on Live? Never realized the two servers had their own versions until now.

6 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

Not liking at all that they dropped ice patch.  It is what makes ice melee somewhat unique.  So, that'd be a big no from me.

I'm in the opposite camp.  Although the recent improvement to Ice Patch makes it more appealing, the set really needs another attack.  It's hard to develop Assassin's Focus on an Ice Melee Stalker without taking the extremely lackluster Frozen Fists.

17 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Wait, what was it on Live? Never realized the two servers had their own versions until now.

I'm not sure.  I didn't know until now that rebirth had a different version of stalker ice melee.  But my guess is that live didn't have ice melee for stalkers.  Score probably proliferated it, and when they did so, chose to drop greater ice sword for assassin's ice sword.  Then rebirth separately proliferated it (starting with the i24 code base that had no ice melee for stalkers) and when they did so, they chose to drop ice patch for assassin's icicle.

Just a guess though.

Edit: thought of a simple way to check.  Paragon wiki archive lists ice melee as a set only available to tankers.  So yeah, rebirth proliferated it separately.

Edited by aethereal

2 hours ago, Solarverse said:

I personally always thought Ice Patch was kind of dumb on a damage set, even on Ice Blasters, so for me, that would have been a very welcomed change.

Since it is a pet, it doesn't break Hide for a Stalker. A Blaster should welcome any sort of damage mitigation. More so if they solo. It also helps that it only really needs its default slot so you can use slots elsewhere. I can possibly see an issue with Brutes and building Fury, but I don't really have any issue building Fury on any Brute I play.  If you team a lot and have a number of Controllers and Doms, then sure, it will be less useful, but it is incredibly useful outside of that.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

Since it is a pet, it doesn't break Hide for a Stalker. A Blaster should welcome any sort of damage mitigation. More so if they solo. It also helps that it only really needs its default slot so you can use slots elsewhere. I can possibly see an issue with Brutes and building Fury, but I don't really have any issue building Fury on any Brute I play.  If you team a lot and have a number of Controllers and Doms, then sure, it will be less useful, but it is incredibly useful outside of that.

Yes, I have read all of the pros for people who like it, I am just not one of them since for me, it's completely useless, even when playing solo. That's just me personally though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carroto said:

I'm in the opposite camp.  Although the recent improvement to Ice Patch makes it more appealing, the set really needs another attack.  It's hard to develop Assassin's Focus on an Ice Melee Stalker without taking the extremely lackluster Frozen Fists.

From the video they also made frozen fists much less lackluster (basically made it a clone of stone fist with the faster animation time).  That'd move its dpa from the pathetic 44 it is now to a much more respectable 71.  It'd actually have better dpa than greater ice sword anyway.  So, another attack isn't as needed and you'd actually still be better off skipping greater ice sword (unless they buffed that too).

Anyway, as I said, to me getting rid of ice patch just makes it  the same as every other attack set (except it uses ice!).  

On 12/13/2021 at 6:28 AM, Solarverse said:

I dig it! Opens up a some cool thematic options!

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Big League || Blue Weasel || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Asmodeus || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Eye || French Roast || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Iron Agent || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter || Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Cheetah || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Technoid || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

I absolutely love this kind of customization attention to detail.  I was glad to see that stone melee offered it by having with and without hammer attacks... but sadly, the same option was not extended to Blaster secondary Earth Manipulation melee attacks that have that big dumb hammer.

Not only would I love to see this swordless animations for Ice Melee here, but I'd also love to have swordless fire melee attack options.

• Like 2