A modest proposal for a (somewhat) traditional (i.e., "slow play") SG

cranebump

Been thinking about this awhile, esp. after the .38 Specials sort of died. And with most of the population having migrated to (or appearing to have migrated to) Excel and Everlasting, was wondering if perhaps Torch's niche could be (among other things), the place where (modified) old-school play still goes on. Maybe the sort of OSR server (without the pompousness, of course). So, proposed an SG dedicated to this idea here. If you're interested in trad (or "slow") play, focusing on the story-based contact missions, hit me up. Gramps wouldn't mind some comp'ny as he trundles about the city semi- slo-mo, Old-School Essentials style.:-)

Edited by cranebump
  • Thumbs Up 4

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

My alts are already in SGs, but we're similarly inclined and would love to coalition!

Hit up "Sanctum Santorum" and we'll have some classic fun!

(OK, the leader may have been under the influence when founding the SG... Thought it would be kind of punny, but now can't see a way to change the name...)

Edited by DoctorDitko
Rationalization
  • Haha 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

We even do this on Excelsior lol.  Great idea though!

Cosmic Council on Excelsior has a “crawl team” led by Ukase that has been going once a week for since before I joined them over six months ago. I hopped on about level 30 and rolled through Blueside.  Now we are on Gold and have crawled to low 30s.  

Blue also leads a “crawl task force/strike force” team about once a week.

The focus of both teams is staying together, killing most.  Blue also reads all dialogue and clues on the Force teams (we are on Discord)

Great idea and good luck. A dedicated SG with a handful of hardcore  regulars who meet a few times a week is all you need to make this happen

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Thought it would be kind of punny, but now can't see a way to change the name...

Have you tried a support ticket?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I like this idea a lot.

Lately, I've been scratching this itch a different way.  I took a toon through every arc of Praetoria turning off xp at 9, 14, and 19 so I didn't out-level anything.   Then at level 20, I came over to Primal Earth and turned off xp.  My plan is to just leave Umbral Dragon Monkey (katana/willpower brute) at level 20 forever.  There's a ton of content I can cover at this level.... blue side, red side, yellow side, tip missions, radios/banks in 4 blue side zones and 2? red side zones, Striga is unlocked.  Sometimes I just street sweep for exploration badge tips.  There's quite a few task forces that get run regularly.  I ran DFB 4 times to get those buffs (they're still useful as I'm below level 21). Right out of the box, I stumbled on a few arcs in I never new existed because I always out leveled them before they unlocked (I think).  Also, I also haven't taken any P2W teleports so I run and take the train everywhere.  All, in all, I'm really enjoying this toon.  He's getting most of my playtime lately.

Granted, I still end up on a team with high levels exemplared down giving the team a "carried" feel.   That's really what I'm trying to avoid.  But it doesn't happen very often.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

15 hours ago, cranebump said:

was wondering if perhaps Torch's niche could be (among other things), the place where (modified) old-school play still goes on.

could it have a unique chat filter that redacted some common 'non-old-school' terms?

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Depending on the hours - since I'm not NA side - I'd be interested in this 🙂

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I play all my characters like this.  I prefer levelling through story arcs rather than farming or other 'big reward' options or repeatable content, and sometimes I turn off XP gain to ensure I can epxerience content firsthand instead of going through ouro.  I wouldn't mind rolling a character on Torch for something like this.