Premade editable bases

Could have sworn you said "edible" and I was thinking, Christmas is over now, sure, but April 1st already?!"

I'll upvote this idea, joke aside.  I wouldn't mind having one for my toons to store stuff in, but I know NOTHING about bases and my time's too limited to really poke around in that very large sandbox.

• Like 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Could have sworn you said "edible" and I was thinking, Christmas is over now, sure, but April 1st already?!"

I'll upvote this idea, joke aside.  I wouldn't mind having one for my toons to store stuff in, but I know NOTHING about bases and my time's too limited to really poke around in that very large sandbox.

8-44527-04001-5_0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

5 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I wouldn't mind having one for my toons to store stuff in, but I know NOTHING about bases and my time's too limited to really poke around in that very large sandbox.

The ONLY thing that is difficult or time-consuming about bases is making them "pretty."

You could open a new alt's base, add one large room and drop rows of storage units in about 15 minutes.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

43 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

The ONLY thing that is difficult or time-consuming about bases is making them "pretty."

You could open a new alt's base, add one large room and drop rows of storage units in about 15 minutes.

Yea, I've got a few different super groups at different level ranges for storage.

I think the Liberators has the more logical setup at this point, though they're pretty equivalent in function.

If I do another, I might make it slightly smaller.

Bug-17462 for tours

having premade maps would also allow for some bases that currently would either take way too long to make or be pretty much impossible. like castles, caves, shops, garages, nightclubs, offices, warehouses, airports, docs, private homes, mansions, and pretty much any setting with a secret door leading to the hidden base. These types of settings and many others exist in game, in various locations, but are beyond most people's ability using the base editor. 

Edited by The Mighty Paladin
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't arguing against the request. It would all come down to a base save/load feature, I think, and the Devs could provide a growing string of standard models as volunteer designers want to build them. Or, I guess, duplicate one of the mega-transport-god-mode bases, too.

But a basic base to store stuff and TP out of — very little time or skill needed as long as you don't mind it being bare-industrial.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

10 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

What, should my character just sleep on the floor on a sheet-less mattress picked up in a Grandville alley or something?!

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

27 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

What, should my character just sleep on the floor on a sheet-less mattress picked up off in a Grandville alley or something?!

Oh, fer cryin' out loud, build the walls and I will come over and put a bed in for you. And a nightlight, ya big baby.

br.thumb.jpg.9f702f464ebb619deb239949e3667db1.jpg

And, uh, any other fittings needed for comfort in between missions...

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Haha 2

That's what I was idly pondering, I wonder how much someone who knew what they were doing would charge to make me a decent base?

Go have fun!

On 12/26/2021 at 6:59 PM, The Mighty Paladin said:

I was just thinking that it would be so much easier to build a base if I didn't have to start from absolute zero. Couldn't you give us the option of choosing a few premade maps that we could choose from and then edit to our liking? Like the maps we choose in mission architect?

so what would this look like and how hard is it to do yourself?

From the main base editing window, select "upgrade plot". Pick the biggest base plot. lower left, hit exit.

From the main base editing window, select "edit base".

Click on "current room" in the blue circle.  Along the top click on "room". In the window that pops up, click on the "move room" option. Move the entry room where you want it. It already has the base entry teleporter in it.

Click on "create room". If you are going for basic, you want to  use this to place 3-4 more rooms.

The first 2-3 rooms  (main room with teleports/trainers/insp vendor/merit vendor/icon contact, a medical/storage room, and/or a storage room) don't need to be bigger that 3x7 and they need to be directly connected to the bse entry room. Place them how you see fit.

The last room is the power room. You want to pick a big room for this in order to fit power and control units in it. This room does not need to be connected to the other rooms in order for it to power your base.

Now that you have the rooms selected. I would place the power, teleporters, and med bays. The first thing to do is to decide if you want to go tech or arcane. You have to stick with one or the other for the power, teleports, and med bays. Click on "current room". Click on "room" in the top bar. use the arrows in the window with the rooms name to navigate to the room you want to place items in. Click "place items" once you are in the room you want to place items in.

In the power room, place 3 1000 Energy/200 control  base items (power crystal/basic generator) and one 5000 Energy/1000 control items (ley tap/turbine generator) from under the arcane/tech power tabs.

In the medical room, place one or two hospital teleporters Arcane (Resurrections Circle)/tech (basic reclaimator)

In the storage room (or medroom), place storage items from the Arcane or Tech Workshop tabs. I suggest not placing any insp target unless only you or your alts are using the base and  you are only going to have income from running missions. I would suggest no more than 3 salvage containers; salvage is just too cheap on the auction house. make the rest of the workshop storage be for enhancements; you can always add more later. Again under the workshop tabs, you will need to pull the bar at the bottom of the screen as a slider to reveal the invention work tables; place at least 1 invention work table per character that may be in your base crafting at the same time. You can access your vault through the salvage screen so there is no reason to place a personal storage vault in a base (other than to look cool). You might want to throw a merit rewards ATM or two in your base as well (there is only a tech one, it is under the tech workshop tab). You might also want to throw in a (enchanting crucible, arcane crucible, or mystic crucible)/(radiation emulator, linear accelerator,  or supercollider) or two in your base (again, only one character can interact with it at a time)

In the main room, place 4 teleporters from the Arcane/tech teleport tabs. Space them out but make sure they are close to a wall. 2 of these are for hero zones, 1 for villain, and one for co-op zones. I suggest putting the lower level hero on one and higher level hero on the other hero one. using the bar at the bottom to reveal the teleport locations on the right side of the menu. Place these behind the respective zones that you want to go to (if I recall correctly the limit is 10 per teleporter). 4 teleporter is enough to control all of the teleport beacons.

Next go under the NPC tab. To scroll the tabs, look for the arrows the upper right-side corner on the menu. You're going to want to do the same thing that you did with the work tables. If you think there maybe multiple people leveling up at the same time, figure how many that will be, then place that many Vanguard Drill instructors/Midnighter Lore Masters/Arachnos Arbiter's. Same goes for enhancement sales people (Vanguard quartermaster/Midnighter quartermaster/arachnos quartermaster), insps salespeople/vendors (Nurse or from the arcane/tech medical tab, Tree of Wonders/Auto-Doc), and Icon reps (Icon Employee/Facemaker).

You get out of the base editor by clicking on "options"  and then "exit base editor"

I think this pretty much covers the most streamlined base.

Anything else is decoration.

So would various layouts of that do the trick?

Edited by UltraAlt
I pretty much always forget something :(
  • Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

16 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

What's 'artifically flavored'?

I guess they want the gingerbread and various candies to taste like actual building materials so they have to artificially flavor them to give them that "real" building material taste. No actual building materials were used.

• Haha 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

6 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

That's what I was idly pondering, I wonder how much someone who knew what they were doing would charge to make me a decent base?

What does "decent" base mean?

Practical and usable?

Detailed with extra rooms?

Placed base items based on your specifications?

A big outdoor base?

There are people that put a whole lot of time into a base.

But as people have noted, some people can  knock out a "basic" base in 30 minutes to 1 hour ... if you aren't bothering with any special customization. (so how much influence can a good farmer make in an 30 minutes to an hour? I would figure 2-3 times that as the base builder is actually working and the farmer is (supposedly) "playing" the game.)

11 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

so what would this look like and how hard is it to do yourself?

Yes, a "I don't care what it looks like, I just want functions" is a 10-20 minute project.

Most of the time when people ask for this,  it's because they want something reasonably nice. An apartment for their character(s.) A bar. A lab. Caves. A space station/space ship. Something themed. The sort of thing that fits that "daunting" - or at least "time consuming." Something that's not just slapped together and looks nice.

"How hard is it to do yourself?" It can be *quite* hard, and not everyone has the time to do it or learn. Yes, some people love spending hundreds of hours on bases. Some people just want something that's not "box with stuff," either for its own sake or to start from and learn from.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

A base that looks good enough that you won't feel the need to hide when a friend drops by like that Simpsons "please don't tell anyone how I live" moment. 

But yeah, those steps up there look just fine, might have to give that a spin if I can find the time soon, thanks!

• Thanks 1

Go have fun!

3 minutes ago, Greycat said:

"How hard is it to do yourself?" It can be *quite* hard, and not everyone has the time to do it or learn.

And I laid out the basics for them.

It doesn't explain how to make it pretty. I didn't bother put in how to rotate base items or even change the style of the base, but what I laid out is the basic raw information to build a functional base without any extra bells-and-whistles.

I think accomplished what I set out to do.

If you think you can do better, then post it.

18 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

And I laid out the basics for them.

It doesn't explain how to make it pretty. I didn't bother put in how to rotate base items or even change the style of the base, but what I laid out is the basic raw information to build a functional base without any extra bells-and-whistles.

I think accomplished what I set out to do.

If you think you can do better, then post it.

Wow, talk about *entirely missing what I said.* Here, let me quote myself. Try reading it this time.

24 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Yes, a "I don't care what it looks like, I just want functions" is a 10-20 minute project.

Most of the time when people ask for this,  it's because they want something reasonably nice. An apartment for their character(s.) A bar. A lab. Caves. A space station/space ship. Something themed. The sort of thing that fits that "daunting" - or at least "time consuming." Something that's not just slapped together and looks nice.

"How hard is it to do yourself?" It can be *quite* hard, and not everyone has the time to do it or learn. Yes, some people love spending hundreds of hours on bases. Some people just want something that's not "box with stuff," either for its own sake or to start from and learn from

There, I even highlighted the relevant parts to make it easy for you.

By the way, you forgot to thumbs-down CD5's post, which essentially said the same thing:

A base that looks good enough that you won't feel the need to hide when a friend drops by like that Simpsons "please don't tell anyone how I live" moment. 

And just to cut off a potential non-argument, no, nobody's talking about an "I've spent thousands of hours on this base" type base either.

Edited by Greycat
  • Thumbs Down 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

By the way, you forgot to thumbs-down CD5's post, which essentially said the same thing:

You are being very judgemental.

Maybe  you are just having a bad day.

You usually don't behave like this.

CD5 didn't say it "at me".

Why would you need to say it at me?

I have created a bunch of bases.

I know full well how long it takes to build a base mild level base. I'm not claiming to be a CoH master basebuilder, but I know I have put a bunch of hours across the various bases that I have built.

It should be clear by the amount of time that I took in posting what I did that I at least know a thing or two about bases, but some people just seem to like to pick on me because they feel it is a fun thing to do.

Are you one of those people?

If so, ignore is easy enough to use.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thumbs Down 1

24 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

We have random costume generator  and I have few characters still wearing that costume as their prime costume.

Random Base Generator could be reallllly interesting.

I can only imagine a chaotic hellscape full of dangerous protrusions and unnavigable passages. We should do it.

• Haha 1