Anyone got old screenshots/vids of...

Techwright

OG game players:  anyone still have screenshots/vids of the freakishly distorted, often giant player's characters the original game occasionally spawned because of a bug/glitch/gremlin?  I was just remembering those Dali-esque days, and thought our new players might get a kick out of any old pictures or videos related to that.

• Thumbs Up 1

FWIW, the new devs have spawned gigantic clone of PCs in GM-led events. My character nearly plotzed when confronted with an "Infinite Vulcan"-sized version of himself!

No, I didn't get a screenie, dammit!

Oh, wait, I did!

Just not a good one.

giant.png

Edited by DoctorDitko
screenie
  • Like 3

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

19 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

And while we're asking, anyone got beta screenshots? COH or COV.

I know I have some from the PVP betas with COV. Just have to dig them up.  Did find one that was some party on live with some of the devs...

screenshot_2009-04-28-13-29-28.jpg

Nothing distorted, just fun. :)

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 1/8/2022 at 12:06 AM, Glacier Peak said:

And while we're asking, anyone got beta screenshots? COH or COV.

Just minutes before the CoV Beta shutdown.

screenshot_2005-10-26-23-36-04.thumb.jpg.5521786a1c5ed3f47c19ee904fb4027c.jpgscreenshot_2005-10-26-23-36-30.thumb.jpg.8ce1aa78e9e1897dcedff3b6bf08dd64.jpgscreenshot_2005-10-26-23-36-39.thumb.jpg.cb47c8c8df2e95ba4235bdad096e330f.jpgscreenshot_2005-10-26-23-37-43.thumb.jpg.a104a5834216d4f6a7cd54a89e7e3296.jpg1379132795_CoVTheVillainsarecoming.thumb.jpg.3df91c5e7804eb33222d7f7756903e43.jpg

screenshot_2005-10-26-23-33-25.jpg

screenshot_2005-10-26-23-38-48.jpg

• Like 4

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

During one of the Halloween events on LIVE the Elite Bosses would accidently spawn at a couple stories tall.  

Now and then I like to watch the old COH E3 2003 presentation. - 

316304_186009101478959_104969672916236_414604_210622420_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

1 hour ago, starro said:

During one of the Halloween events on LIVE the Elite Bosses would accidently spawn at a couple stories tall.  

Now and then I like to watch the old COH E3 2003 presentation. - 

Interesting. I don't think I'd seen that bit of evolution (Controller not shown yet, "build up" at tier 9, having between 5-8 powers in a set - though that, I think, was as carryover from the prior setup...)

Also... Energy/Super Strength blaster...

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

4 hours ago, Greycat said:

Interesting. I don't think I'd seen that bit of evolution (Controller not shown yet, "build up" at tier 9, having between 5-8 powers in a set - though that, I think, was as carryover from the prior setup...)

Also... Energy/Super Strength blaster...

I will dig. i had a screen shot or two from the hot-pink character creator days.  There was a game before COH that never made it to live even before this video circa 2001  E3.  I am thinking it got chucked and revamped into what became COH at launch. 

Edited by starro
  • Like 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

1 hour ago, starro said:

I will dig. i had a screen shot or two from the hot-pink character creator days.  There was a game before COH that never made it to live even before this video circa 2001  E3.  I am thinking it got chucked and revamped into what became COH at launch. 

This is the oldest one I know of, I know of one other video... not sure if I remember an older video.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120905065800/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=117073

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/8/2022 at 12:00 AM, Techwright said:

OG game players:  anyone still have screenshots/vids of the freakishly distorted, often giant player's characters the original game occasionally spawned because of a bug/glitch/gremlin?  ...

The one I have was in CoV. A massive robot player sitting on the wall in a lowbie zone.

The other was in Atlas and looked like someone hit "Random" in the Creator. I remember these max-length legs though. And I posted it on the website the SG had. No one took it seriously like I Photoshopped it.

One of them acted like they had no idea how, why, what happened. The other acted like he knew how to hack into the code.

Still have my original screenshots from Live in my archives, might be a while before I find the images.

EDIT: BOTH were giants, in case not clear.

Edited by Nemeroff
  • Like 1

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

On 1/12/2022 at 1:56 PM, Nemeroff said:

The one I have was in CoV. A massive robot player sitting on the wall in a lowbie zone. ...

screenshot_2006-09-05-22-46-48.jpg

screenshot_2006-09-05-22-52-24.jpg

screenshot_2006-09-05-23-16-55.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

On 1/8/2022 at 12:00 AM, Techwright said:

OG game players:  anyone still have screenshots/vids of the freakishly distorted, often giant player's characters the original game occasionally spawned because of a bug/glitch/gremlin?  I was just remembering those Dali-esque days, and thought our new players might get a kick out of any old pictures or videos related to that.

screenshot_2007-05-20-11-45-34.jpg

screenshot_2007-05-29-21-31-51.jpg

screenshot_2007-05-29-21-33-06.jpg

Edit: "Savage Sausage" was the "freakish" img I had in mind.  I'm in the foreground "Kinnitro" in black & navy.

Edited by Nemeroff
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

IIRC, there's a way to edit the costume file for those ... well, I heard it was arms, not leg lengths... but anyway, it doesn't last, once you zone it resets (I think I saw people playing with it here shortly after HC opened up shop?  Someone made a cop-outfit character and called him Long Arms Of The Law, which was funny).  The giant players: they did hack something somewhere, and were promptly banned for it, ha ha.  Or so I heard.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝