Regen Tanker

Troo

13 minutes ago, ironjoe said:

They want to leave one thing Brutes can do that tanks can't... well at least it feels that way.

I thought that one thing was Energy Aura.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

9 minutes ago, ironjoe said:

They want to leave one thing Brutes can do that tanks can't... well at least it feels that way.

Make it two...Energy Aura (Armor)

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Some folks say that EA didn't get ported over cuz it would just be too good at tank values. I don't personally see that based on the numbers nor on playing both SR and EA.

Perhaps the same thought is behind no regen for tanks. It would just be too damn good at tank values.

Heh.

HEEHEE.

HAHAHAHHAHEHHEAHEEHJHAHEHAHEHEHEAH

• Haha 8
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Troo said:

why not?

image.png.a64cc64a61ad932d8b4b61213f315e4c.png

isn't it time?

What about incoming damage? I honestly hardly see Regen Brutes on PuGs and TFs.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Would Regen really be that great on a tank though?

On its own the regen would be great, given tank values, but would that be enough to overcome the fact that it has no defense and no DDR?

Sure you could give it some defense with Combat Jumping and Weave and IOs, but without any DDR would that be enough to really matter once the defense debuffs start rolling in from everyone with a machine gun?

I ask because I have no real experience with regen. I rolled a BS/Regen Scrapper once, got him up to maybe level 20, hated it and promptly rerolled him as BS/Willpower once Willpower went to the live server. Ever since then Willpower has been my default secondary for a scrapper unless I have something specific in mind.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

17 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Would Regen really be that great on a tank though?

Here's the math in great detail.

Regen sucks on scrappers, it sucks on brutes, it would suck on a tank. There's no good reason why tanks shouldn't get to revel in the same suck.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go play the new fire/regen brute that I built this morning.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go play the new fire/regen brute that I built this morning.

Two suck sets...is his name Massive Suck? Its like a Spaceballs reference. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I love the Regen hate.

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

What about incoming damage? I honestly hardly see Regen Brutes on PuGs and TFs.

That's a lot of the upside. Regen + Resists is pretty strong add any decent mitigation and Def can be overkill.

A reason folks don't like it is because using it effectively means interrupting attack chains. Not as important on a Tank or say a Stalker.

I'm glad it's not super popular.

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

new fire/regen brute that I built this morning.

I'm gonna go make a Stone/Regen now.. out of spite. ; )

I've been eyeballin a Dark/Regen, maybe it's time.

Edited by Troo
  • Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 minutes ago, Troo said:

That's a lot of the upside. Regen + Resists is pretty strong add any decent mitigation or Def and it can be overkill.

I've run it to 50 on a Scrapper on live. You are looking at the Fighting pool, some other power pool and epics. We are talking S/L Resists and what+5% def all when slotted? Being shoe horned into other power pools? And that's until epics which which further forces players to take specific powers. There's no protection against debuffs and specifically -regen. Granted, any Regen set should have protection against -regen debuffs. How about when it gets hit with -recharge? I can't even say "What about the Psy hole?" because Swiss cheese has fewer holes. But yes, a dump truck of HP, regen, and clicks for the constant "oh crap" factor.

"But IOs."

You mean the thing which every other powerset has access to? Its telling how Regen is essentially the default worst defense set for any AT which uses it outside of maybe Sents.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

1 hour ago, Troo said:

A reason folks don't like it is because using it effectively means interrupting attack chains. Not as important on a Tank or say a Stalker.

That certainly doesn't help but the primary reason I hate it is that the mitigation it actually provides is inferior to every other armor set.

But I'm glad to be proven wrong. There's a max diff no insps no temps no faceplants ITF waitin over there for any /regen brute that wants to give it a go.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I thought that one thing was Energy Aura.

Gah forgot about it so yes, two things.

Other thought, if it was ported to Tanks I would make one and park the Tank in the Hive for the rest of it's career after getting incarnates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Ok, @Troo it's been three hours... did ya at least go try it out? 🙂

I copied over to test but got distracted playing it.. and adjusting costume..

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, ironjoe said:

Gah forgot about it so yes, two things.

Other thought, if it was ported to Tanks I would make one and park the Tank in the Hive for the rest of it's career after getting incarnates.

Funny enough, my main is an Invuln/EM tank. I wanted to make her as EA/EM, but tanks don't have EA. Back then Invuln was very shiny so I made her Invuln/EM. Then the live devs nerfed the shiny/glowie of Invuln.

*sigh*

22 minutes ago, Black_Assassin said:

Would it be possible for Dull Pain on a tank regen port to remove the HP cap for tanks whilst it is active? That would help beef them up a bit and boost the regen numbers too

Another alternative would be adding a big stack of Absorb to Dull Pain on a port to Tanks (and add to the Brute version) to have a big stack of points past the cap. That would help them take alphas and survive in other scenarios.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the best way to handle porting Regen to Tanks would be to first fix it for Scrappers and Brutes. Once it's fixed, by turning Reconstruction or Instant Healing into a toggle, adding some more damage resistance and/or absorb, whatever the devs decide to do to make it not be the worst Scrapper secondary, then port it to Tanks.

I think the question that we might want to ask is what's the devs' rule on these things? No, I'm not talking about the Cottage Rule. I'm talking about "how far away from retail CoH are the devs willing to go?"

Honestly, if the devs aren't willing to significantly change Regen to make it not suck then I'd prefer that they don't port it to Tanks at all. If ported in its current state it will suck so bad on Tanks that it'll just be a horrible trap for the ignorant and unwary.

3 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Honestly, if the devs aren't willing to significantly change Regen to make it not suck then I'd prefer that they don't port it to Tanks at all. If ported in its current state it will suck so bad on Tanks that it'll just be a horrible trap for the ignorant and unwary.

I vote port it as is. Same with NrgAura. Folks like playing it now, let 'em play it on tanks, too.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

vote port it as is

Agreed, though I'm certainly all for a solid balance pass on the set at some point.

Sometimes it's fun to work with a set that comes with different or more extreme weaknesses than usual and turn it into something great with a thoughtful build. I'm not saying that a set should be designed to fill this niche, but there is entertainment value to be had where it already exists.

• Thumbs Up 1