New 50 enhancement slotting

Mashugana

13 hours ago, Vanden said:

Gains from boosters are so small on full sets, and you sacrifice your effectiveness while exemplared to boot.

24 minutes ago, arcane said:

If you play far more at 50 then exemplared, on the other hand, though, attuning is wasted strength.

IMO: You're both right, but it depends on the toon.

I absolutely adore my Psi/SD scrapper, but I can not abide playing her below level 35 or so because of the build choices I've made, and because Psi Melee doesn't make sense before GPB and ML.  This toon is Boosted to the gills everywhere it adds even a marginal gain and I never run it for exemplar content because it isn't fun to play that way.

OTOH: My Fire/Martial blaster who is so much fun I've not made a new scrapper outside beta-testing Stone armor since I started him is tremendous from level 4, so his primary (currently only, developing an alternate is proving ... difficult) build is all attuned all the time.

I've taken to a mix of SO/AttunedKeyPieces on anything that I'm leveling that holds my interest enough to consider a post-50 career for it.

Edited by InvaderStych
light editorial

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

The only folks that are doing this are "buying now", as opposed to plucking things from character email like boosters & catalysts. 

You realize those boosters and catalysts still have a cost even if you happened to not pay for them with inf, right?

41 minutes ago, arcane said:

Agree to disagree. I call it not leaving my build incomplete. 

There’s also zero point to most HO’s or D-Syncs if you don’t 53 them, because at 50 they’re no more powerful than a +5 equivalent IO. Outside of rare occasions where the HO is valuable because of numerous effects (Enzyme on Venomous Gas, Cyto on Invincibility, etc), the HO / D-Sync is a complete waste if not combined to a level above 50.

I think that was more “agree to misunderstand” lol. I prob was not clear.  I was saying it does cost a billion once you start doing that.  And on toons that i love this will happen, sometimes with the alt build as well

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Mashugana said:

Do you guys have an approach to your new level 50s? Is there something you do to make them solid before going to the insane billion inf build?

I like to get my 50 to a place where they are at least viable before I decide if I am going to invest more.  Do you upgrade attacks to a certain level of IO? Replace everything with level 50 sets?

What would you advice me to upgrade and swap and what do I leave alone on a new 50?

Thank you 🙂

I almost always play my 50s to 50, as opposed to rushing them there.  I'll use Mids to get an idea for my final build, but I'll often make diversions on the way there.  When I hit 50, I generally:

1. Respec, to clean up the diversions.

2.  Swap in any purples I have for my build.

3.  Use catalysts on any ATOs or Winter-Os I have in my build.

4.  Go to Mender Ramiel in Ouro to start the quest to open up my alpha slot.

Who run Bartertown?

8 hours ago, arcane said:

You realize those boosters and catalysts still have a cost even if you happened to not pay for them with inf, right?

Of course they do - but then again, they're practically free. 

When you buy a lot of winter packs at 10M (15M was this year, but I haven't opened many of those yet) and you have literally hundreds, if not thousands of winter-Os, the surplus are sold, at a profit. 

All of the boosters, catalysts ... all that stuff is practically free, because a few months after the sale, Winter-Os that were catalyzed sold for 25-30M. 

The reward merits, the catalysts, the boosters, unslotters, the converters, the amplifiers, those are just gravy. 

Now, because they could be sold, they have an opportunity cost - using them costs me a sale of however much I'd make. But - that's an unrealized gain. It's not the same thing as me buying 180+ boosters to max out my character. Those boosters used are also an opportunity cost, are they not? 

One person plucks them from character email from a pack that already paid for its purchase. Another just buys it straight from the AH. Or maybe they bought it from proceeds of simply selling 10M packs at 25M. I've no idea. Either way, by opening the packs, and selling surplus items, It's practically free. 

One can make the valid argument, that they cost time  - which is a more precious resource than even money. For money (real world money) can be accumulated. Time cannot. 

But, in the midst of a pandemic, working from home...what else am I gonna do?