New 50 enhancement slotting

Mashugana

Do you guys have an approach to your new level 50s? Is there something you do to make them solid before going to the insane billion inf build?

I like to get my 50 to a place where they are at least viable before I decide if I am going to invest more.  Do you upgrade attacks to a certain level of IO? Replace everything with level 50 sets?

What would you advice me to upgrade and swap and what do I leave alone on a new 50?

Thank you 🙂

Personally, I make a build in Mids before I even make a costume. (See MidsReborn.com)

Using that as my base, I will start slotting attuned IOs (set IOs that have a floating level within the range of the set) as soon as I can, considering level and finances.  I have some stuff stored in my base and I give new characters some starting cash to start buying.

By the time I get to level 50 the only thing I need to do is swap in any purple sets that I may want for whatever set I used to level and use enhancement catalysts on my ATOs and WinterOs to make them Superior.  And then work on incarnates and accolades.

If you have a particular character you want build recommendations for, I suggest that you post that request in the appropriate AT sub forums and state your parameters -- cheap, money is no object, final, leveling, softcap, perma this or that, whatever you want.

• Like 3

On a basic level, I slot level 25 commons until I hit 50, and then decide how much I want to dump into a build. Some builds simply get retired. You can IO out a build for a few million this way, and they will play fine. I'm around 50% of my 50s not having full level 25 commons in them. It will be some time before I do another. I know enough to raise enough coin to IO out six 50s, but it still takes time.

Second level is slotting one offs, ATOs, and some uncommons until I hit 50. I don't care if they are top tier or not. Getting any bonus is better than getting none.

Third is doing the same, but around level 27 using a respec to get as close as I can to slotting as if I'm doing a final build sans those which can only be slotted at level 50.

Finally is doing the third level, but actually slotting in those purples and whatever else.

Which path I pick largely depends on my desire to do so and how much I like a build. No reason to drop 2 billion on something you are retiring anyway.

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Do you want to invest?   This is a good question.  Not as important as you think in the modern game.   Respecs are a pain but they are cheap (million inf a pop if not free) and infinite.  So you can slap a ton of good stuff on an alt for a week and see if tou like what happens.  Necessary for Dom experiments and farm builds usually.  They are spendy

Do you need a billion infamy build?   Hmmm.  My farmer has a billion inf farm build with winters and all sorts of great crap.  But that build is useless in real game outside farm map.  So i made an alt build for it that ran 2-3 hundred million, tops.  There are a ton of solid builds out there that are in the low hundred million range.  Sure, a Dom loves purple sets but there are many archetype and powersets that do fine on pretty standard builds.  Seriously.  

Good luck and experiment as much as you want.  Respecs are cheap.  Get an alt base with storage for a few hundred enhancers and be the mad scientist

• Like 2

On the rare occasion that I make a new character I'll usually fast track it to 32 so I get to play around with the full complement that primary has to offer.  So in my 30's I'll stop and slot the base good sets I know I'll keep and likely attune and then lvl 30 IOs in everything else. 

At level 47 I'll set everything I am aiming to slot for sets except the purples.  Then at 50 I'll respec since I'll have a good idea of the powers I like and use and others that I don't get around to using much.  Plus at 50 you get to place slots where you please as you respec rather than being level locked so if you take a power at 49 you can still 6 slot it which is nice, although it's likely a low priority mule power in most cases.

If I end up really liking the character everything gets +5'd and moved to the first page.  

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 2

Been back to soloin from 1 to 50 instead of PLing alts and I'm finding that it means I'm slotting at least the unique IOs as soon as I'm allowed. SOs end up getting replaced by lowish level sets. Often just grabbing whatever is in my base bins.

If I already have a build to follow on the way up, I'll use the non-purple set that correlates in buff values to the purple set I plan to use at 50.

• Like 1

I think it honestly depends on the character. Some get a LOT from early slotting of the high-end stuff, while, in my experience, most can get by fine with whatever the longbow vender is selling.

Examples of classes that REALLY like their class IOs ASAP:

- Stalkers

- Tankers

- Scrappers

- Defenders

These four have REALLY nice class ios that make their lives MUCH easier. It's a thing youll notice while playing them without them, once you have them. It's important to note that the procs are the MOST important pieces, but the whole set is the goal for most. I wouldnt worry about getting the WHOLE set, since most Single Origins will serve you JUST fine.

• Like 1

Resident certified baby

29 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Who is spending a billion inf on 1 build

Are you sliding the IOs into the sockets on a carpet of inf and just throwing it out afterwards

Most of my characters’ builds cost about a billion INF each between enhancements, enhancement catalysts, and enhancement boosters.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Vanden said:

Are you sliding the IOs into the sockets on a carpet of inf and just throwing it out afterwards

Well, the Class Ios go for between 7 and 10mil. There's 6 in each set, and you want both so thats 120mil~ for both.

Looking at the same price for Winter sets, I personally dont like most of them? But people like them, and odds are you can slot at LEAST 2 full sets, so that's another 120mil.

Now we've got the regular purples, which tend to go for 10-12mil, there's at least two you can get going, but I know I could slot 3 full sets? So that's gonna run you 148mil~ or so, more if you want more than two.

If you want to dip into some of those PvP sets, youre looking at 7-10mil, now, I personally think getting the WHOLE set isnt worth it? Especially since, somehow, they are JUST as expensive as the other sets yet the pvp community is so small here? Im convinced that this is part of some kind of conspiracy, but I digress, that's another 60mil for one of them.

The "popular uniques" section is full of things that go for around 8-9mil each and there's 9 of them or so? 49mil right there.

That's already around 500mil, give or take as your needs demand. This isnt including all the proc stuffing youll need, if you need to buy catalysts, or if youre trying to craft them yourself and have to buy the materials.

And that's ON TOP of the roughly 500mil you need to get your Golden Spandex, which NO. REAL. BUILD. is complete without. Like, if youre not rocking the golden undies of justice you JUST arent ready to play with the adults, it's just that simple.

SO yeah! Youre looking at 1bil inf or so. Minimum.

• Thumbs Up 1

Resident certified baby

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

Most of my characters’ builds cost about a billion INF each between enhancements, enhancement catalysts, and enhancement boosters.

Yes boosters can easily run like 200-300 mil on their own.

HO / D-Sync builds can easily cost more than 2 billion.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

HO / D-Sync builds can easily cost more than 2 billion.

once you start boosting and combining Hami DSyncs to get +5 you really are sliding into the sockets on a carpet on Inf.  So ....yes.

42 minutes ago, arcane said:

That definitely seems like using the carpet of inf method. Gains from boosters are so small on full sets, and you sacrifice your effectiveness while exemplared to boot. I only ever use them for frankenslots and common IOs. That's like 25-30 boosters a build, you're talking about using around 200.

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 1

I make my build in mids, then drop low-ball bids on everything needed. Mostly attuned.

I'll slot in the IOs as they roll in off the block, and supplement with cheap buy it now Frankenslotting to fill empty spots until the bid comes in.

Sometimes I'm impatient and just pop bin prices, but doing this allows me to be lazier about my marketeering long term by saving a good chunk on every build.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

5 hours ago, Mashugana said:

Do you guys have an approach to your new level 50s? Is there something you do to make them solid before going to the insane billion inf build?

I like to get my 50 to a place where they are at least viable before I decide if I am going to invest more.  Do you upgrade attacks to a certain level of IO? Replace everything with level 50 sets?

What would you advice me to upgrade and swap and what do I leave alone on a new 50?

Thank you 🙂

Yes & yes.

Do you upgrade attacks to a certain level of IO? Replace everything with level 50 sets?

At or even before 50, before dialing in a build, Attuned Enhancements.

At or even before 50, I am opportunistically crafting or low bidding on standard less expensive attuned sets that I know I can use in a cheap build.

I'm also on the lookout for the standard Uniques. (Miracle, Numina, Performance Shifter, Steadfast, etc)

Level 45 example with a Archery/Kinetics Corruptor.

• Ranged: Thunderstikes (we can use 4 or 5 full sets)
  • Defense: Red Fortunes (we can use 4 full sets) (not so cheap due to convertor-ing to Luck of the Gamblers)
  • Ranged AoE: Positrons (we can use 1 or 2 full sets)

This can build a fairly strong character (see attached) while deciding what powers we're keeping and which are not gonna work out.

Ding 50, first thing, use any Enhancement Boosters we may have acquired on basic IOs that we are gonna keep. Prioritizing Recharge then Accuracy.

This gets us to where we can keep playing while fiddling with dialing in attack chains and acquiring final build components.

Corruptor - Cheap Kinetics w Archery.mxd

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 hours ago, Vanden said:

I've certainly spent a billion on the various BZBs with respecs/rebuilds/etc but as time has gone on, more alts deleted, more bins filled, these days builds are cheap. Recycling for the win.

• Like 1

If I roll a new character and think damn Clave my man, nice costume!  now I wanna play this one, then I start looking round for a build.  here and there as I level them up (no farming, but I have been known to join 50 radios in PI and so on), I might fund them off other toons to start following that build; otherwise I might drive myself down a blind alley of having not picked the good powers or something and thus killed my enthusiasm for the toon (I have been known to respec into another build if the first wasn't "me" though).  I normally avoid purples (for obvious reasons here, and more to come later) and ATOs, although I have been slipping lately on ATOs... but anyway, by the time I hit 50, chances are I have a fair amount of that build in place.  And then... by then, I've probably put together another toon and fallen in love with the costume, so I play them.  I don't tend to meaningfully play my toons much after 50, so there's no point in waiting to 50 to give them some kind of a build (or for waiting to slot purples; too pricey too).

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

10 hours ago, Vanden said:

That definitely seems like using the carpet of inf method. Gains from boosters are so small on full sets, and you sacrifice your effectiveness while exemplared to boot. I only ever use them for frankenslots and common IOs. That's like 25-30 boosters a build, you're talking about using around 200.

I attune non-purple/non-pvp IO's, I boost all generic, purple, and PvP IOs, and combine any HO/Dsync to 53.

Purple and PvP IOs don't need attunement to keep their set bonuses they go all the way down to lvl 10 regardless of attunement, so depending on if early powers are slotted with them you can get pretty decent early bonuses. Thus attuning these is a waste of an opportunity to boost them for more effectiveness.

That said I don't often use too many purple sets unless I'm really chasing recharge, as most of them have similar set bonuses, and I typically like to pass some defense and then boost other areas.

14 hours ago, Vanden said:

The only folks that are doing this are "buying now", as opposed to plucking things from character email like boosters & catalysts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Vanden said:

If you play far more at 50 then exemplared, on the other hand, though, attuning is wasted strength. Some of us prefer to be maxed out.

The only content I exemp for always seems pitifully easy (yin, manti, morty, etc) so I don’t see the point in attuning unless you (1) can’t boost something like a proc or (2) boosting will harm your proc rates to an undesirable extent.

Edited by arcane

13 hours ago, Snarky said:

once you start boosting and combining Hami DSyncs to get +5 you really are sliding into the sockets on a carpet on Inf.  So ....yes.

Agree to disagree. I call it not leaving my build incomplete. 

There’s also zero point to most HO’s or D-Syncs if you don’t 53 them, because at 50 they’re no more powerful than a +5 equivalent IO. Outside of rare occasions where the HO is valuable because of numerous effects (Enzyme on Venomous Gas, Cyto on Invincibility, etc), the HO / D-Sync is a complete waste if not combined to a level above 50.

Edited by arcane

13 hours ago, Vanden said:

I just grab attuned IOs. If I want to do a build where I get maxed out IOs with level boosters, I'm now looking at a second build for limited content which is going to cost even more. A character like that could easily cost 3+ billion to IO out. I have one that would be 4+ billion. I find IOed out builds with T4 Incarnates are overly good already. I don't see the need to drop 2+ billion on trying to squeeze so little out of a second build. The best case for a second build to me would be for farming or PvP. I've done farming builds with non-level shifted IOs and I can clear a map in fine enough speed. 

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

5 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

I just grab attuned IOs. If I want to do a build where I get maxed out IOs with level boosters, I'm now looking at a second build for limited content which is going to cost even more. A character like that could easily cost 3+ billion to IO out. I have one that would be 4+ billion. I find IOed out builds with T4 Incarnates are overly good already. I don't see the need to drop 2+ billion on trying to squeeze so little out of a second build. The best case for a second build to me would be for farming or PvP. I've done farming builds with non-level shifted IOs and I can clear a map in fine enough speed. 

Oh yes that reminds me, characters I love the most will of course need *multiple* billion+ builds. My main has 3 purply boosted ones at all times with shiny little “1”, “2”, “3” macro buttons.

Edited by arcane
  • Haha 1