Say a thanks? Share a memory!

GM Xellx

Big thanks from a former hero of a bygone era....and yet here I am, playing CoH religiously again....It honestly feels like a dream. What can I possibly type that anyone hasn't already? How do you really thank someone for bringing back a dream? The epic moments, the costumes, the sounds of said powers. This was/is more than a game for me. It has always been an experience, that I chased other MMO's wildly for. How do you possibly think six letters can encapsulate 7+ years of reliving my hero days?

I'll keep thanking you guys till this isn't here anymore....again.

spacer.png

Edited by killigraphy
  • Like 3

OK, I guess it's time I share my experience with City of Heroes.

I started playing CoH back in 2005, shortly before City of Villains was launched. I LOVED this game. There was not a day that went by, as long as I was on my PC, that I didn't log in and play, at least a little. I even won second place in a video contest for City of Villains. I still have my cape that I won. 😛 That continued up until it was shut down in 2012. I was devastated, and had never felt an emotional attachment to game like this before. I was actually distraught for the first few months after that, missing this game more than anything else I had ever played. 

I had heard things were in the works to make this come back in some way, either via a successor, or some other way, but I had relegated myself to never being able to pla this wonderful game again.

And now I can. I am beyond appreciative of the people that have made this happen. You are the TRUE HEROES.

I will continue to play this game for as long as I can, and will cherish each moment of it.

So, in closing, THANK YOU SO MUCH! You gave me back the best game I have ever played!

• Like 2

Good lord where to begin.

I started playing this game way back in 2009 when I was freshly 11 years old. My dad, who is, if not more of, an avid gamer than myself, brought this game home and began playing it religiously. I remember every day seein my dad play, seeing how amazing all the flashing lights and powers were. It was truly magical. After a long time of having little to talk about with him, we finally managed to connect through our mutual love of this beauty of an mmo.

As one of the first games I even remember getting into, I was hooked at the start. I started off with a giant of a creature, electric/mace tank. I was terrible at the game, sure, but at that very moment, the name "Wingedram" would be formed, which I still use as a monicer in nearly ever single game and service that I'm a part of. While the original iteration didn't really work for me, the next, a peacebringer, would become my life. I never understood enhancement sets, I didn't understand attack stats, but I kicked and screamed my way to my first level 50 after 2 years. Unfortunately there was only one computer in my house, so I could only play at times when my dad wasn't playing.

Fast forward a little while and I was given my first laptop thanks to a budding desire to design, to construct, to build. And the first time I played side by side with my dad, Agent Afterburner in the flesh, it was beautiful. Flashes of lights, roaring flames, and I couldn't get enough. We would take part in raids, ripping through our enemies and being the best duo around. Just a short while later and the game was taken from me. Upset and betrayed, my dad and I vowed to never purchase another NCSoft game for as long as we live.

Then, this past year, my dad called me in the middle of the day, which was a bit unusual. He told me about this beautiful resurgence, and I immediately ran home and downloaded this gem. The nostalgia hit me like a brick wall. I was back. A new monicer this time. Something to shake it up. Orb Weaver, an arachnos crab spider soldier, was the perfect fit. I specialize in area of effect damage these days, locking down hordes of enemies and tearing things up like old times with my dad. This community brought back my excitement and obsession with videogames, and thanks to some particular role models (I'm lookin at you, Lucky Strike), I'm striving to fully complete my badge count. At 1380 badges, I'm almost there.

Thank you, Homecoming Team. Thank you for bringing back the connection my dad and I started so long ago. Thank you for blessing me with the chance to grow more in my interests. I'm an architect and a businessman these days, and that laptop I used to run City of Heroes so long ago has been dead for a while. But its memory still clings to me, and I'll be sharing this memory with my children when they bless this earth. We'll see you then.

-Orb Weaver

-Wingedram

-M.

• Like 3

As a Dad myself, who likewise introduced both of my sons to the game, I know from the other perspective how this feels.  My older son never really got into it.  But, my younger son began by just embracing the "pew-pew-pew" factors of the game.  Now, he is 21, and he is teaching me new things about the game.  Real "Cats in the cradle" moments there to be sure.  We still have not found much common ground, but CoH was, and remains the one thing we have no end of enjoyable conversation.

Welcome back, and by all means, pass on this legacy!  I'm sure it will be something you will both remember fondly forever.

• Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

I can't even begin to describe the overwhelming amount of pure joy I felt when I discovered this today. You cannot comprehend how much this means to me. Actual tears are flowing just at the thought of being able to bring Stone Cold Cop back to life.

Thank you.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ugryurgenson said:

I can't even begin to describe the overwhelming amount of pure joy I felt when I discovered this today. You cannot comprehend how much this means to me. Actual tears are flowing just at the thought of being able to bring Stone Cold Cop back to life.

Thank you.

Friend, I'm right there with ya! 

I've been here since the beginning, and that feeling of logging in for the first time with one of my re-rolled heroes from live, now reborn...there are no adequate words.  It was like serendipity, wrapped in nostalgia, and dipped in joy!  When the game was live, it was the only one I wanted to play.  When it was gone, it was the game I wanted to play but, couldn't.  So, I found some substitutes.  Never got into any of them like I did this game.  By April/May last year, I wasn't playing much of anything seriously.  Then CoH was reborn almost overnight, and I was back.  I haven't left since, and I never will so long as I have the choice.

Dear community,

I am new here and imagine many have said this previously, but I want to add my voice to the crowd. I thank everyone who has helped make this world return from the darkness of obscurity. 

I spent a good portion of my life not only playing in this world, but in being a team member of NCSoft, there is a piece of my heart left in paragon city, and i feel blessed to be able to return after so many years. 

Again, thank you all so very much!

Omega prime

2 hours ago, Sophia Llriandri said:

Feeling a bit nostalgic, I googled CoH on a whim this morning, and I did not expect to find this! Thank you to all who have over the past 8 years helped keep the community going and ultimately bring CoX back to life ^^.

Welcome back to the city!  🙂

Wow. Just Wow.  Many thanks to the amazing team behind this project!

Also, apparently Google can read my mind.  A couple weeks ago I grew weary of my "go-to" game and found myself waxing nostalgic for CoX.  Late last week, while doing an image search for a decent *.gif of the "Shut it down! Shut-it-down FOREVER!!" scene from the movie Dark City (if you don't know what I'm talking about, do yourself a favor and watch this movie) and there on the second row was a reference to an article about CoX revival projects, including Homecoming. Seriously.  36 or fewer hours later there I was again, feeling the ScrapperLock!

I was never big on MMO games in general, except for this one. The customization is what sold me, and big part of what kept me coming back.  Always disliked the way that traditional MMOs forced everyone to look and play alike because of "Gear."

Back in '04 I even took a couple days off at Launch so I could take a long weekend gaming stay-cation.  Took breaks here and there between Launch and Sunset.  Still bummed that work travel obligations kept me from logging in during the last few days of Live.

So, again, massive thanks to the team.  Very thrilled to be back!

• Like 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

14 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Wow. Just Wow.  Many thanks to the amazing team behind this project!

Also, apparently Google can read my mind.  A couple weeks ago I grew weary of my "go-to" game and found myself waxing nostalgic for CoX.  Late last week, while doing an image search for a decent *.gif of the "Shut it down! Shut-it-down FOREVER!!" scene from the movie Dark City (if you don't know what I'm talking about, do yourself a favor and watch this movie) and there on the second row was a reference to an article about CoX revival projects, including Homecoming. Seriously.  36 or fewer hours later there I was again, feeling the ScrapperLock!

I was never big on MMO games in general, except for this one. The customization is what sold me, and big part of what kept me coming back.  Always disliked the way that traditional MMOs forced everyone to look and play alike because of "Gear."

Back in '04 I even took a couple days off at Launch so I could take a long weekend gaming stay-cation.  Took breaks here and there between Launch and Sunset.  Still bummed that work travel obligations kept me from logging in during the last few days of Live.

So, again, massive thanks to the team.  Very thrilled to be back!

You will be feeling all of those nostalgic feels for some time to come.  I mean the first time I heard the Atlas Park them again, I got all misty eyed.  There will be so much to re-learn, and so much to experience all over again.  Plus, a lot of new stuff that's been added since you've been gone, with more to come soon!  So, get yourself ready for the best reunion you've ever been to!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

Welcome home!

I can't wait for the day that we can shout from the rooftops that we are here, we are alive, and that Paragon City wants you back!  Right now, folks are finding their way home via social media posts, and word of mouth.  But, there will come a day (hopefully soon) when the need to keep things on the relative "down low" will be unnecessary, and we can actively advertise our existence from a number of resources that will have a much wider impact, and bring everyone who still wants to play, home to their city.

I thought my friend was pulling an April Fools prank on me when he said CoH was back online. I can't believe you amazing people have pulled this off. Thank you so much for letting me return to a world that I haven't see in 14 years.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later

I was just browsing the forums today looking for mods. And I started to tear up a bit. This community is SO RESPECTFUL! In an age where it seems like internet discourse keeps getting more and more divisive and toxic, I see people HELPING each other here and building each other up.

This community is what I've been missing from video games. I stopped bothering to play online video games pretty quickly after CoX shut down and any time I tried to pick up a new game, I stopped fairly quickly. The chatter was always negative, people always competing and sniping─it just wasn't fun for me.

It took me a few months until I could get Island Rum to work smoothly and now I play almost every day. I love being able to relish in the nostalgia of past quests and old stomping grounds/patrol routes. While I'm not an active RPer nor do I join team ups (I prefer running solo for now, but I'll get there again), it warms my heart to see the community building each other up ─ complimenting costumes, asking for help and receiving it, constructive feedback, and interacting in a friendly way in general.

This is what was missing from my world. So I want to say a huge "Thank you" to the devs, maintainers and donators (I've tried to donate, but haven't been fast enough yet!), but I also want to give a big shout out to the community of players. Thank you all.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, Irishman0828 said:

it felt like a bridge that connected many parts of my social life was gone? I hope that doesn't sounds stupid

That doesn't sound stupid at all. That's a perfect distillation of what I think many of us felt. Thank you for sharing. And welcome back 🙂

• Like 1

Thank you very much, mysterious people who made this happen. I found that I had taken screenshots as far back as 2006 on Union EU server ... and in the metadata I found that I'd got the names of the people in my teams...  so here are just some of the names (my characters appear a lot obviously). Thanks to all of these people who played way back when and made my life a little bit better.

Isaac A52X-69E, Virdigris, Brother Smash, Captain Equality, Ichi Zengetsu, Foraois Gadai

Brother Smash, Virdigris, Captain Equality

Abdiel., swilly0.4, Burning Miracle, Ace Neutron, Crimson Lady, Primaria, Hibrido

Shmite, RIGger Ixatami, Master Control Unit, Kit Thug, VX-03, Evil's Incarnate

Queen Radiation, H A T E, Ordinary Girl, Fioran, Protector James, Shakespearean, King Touchstone

Undervoid, Fioran, King Touchstone, Ordinary Girl, Miss XS, Posie Lou, Spartann, Snow White

mike lighting, Commander Justice, Ordinary Girl, HFA, Energetico

Krome, Ordinary Girl

General Thomson, Master Control Unit

Ordinary Girl, X-Star, Total XP, Krome

Master Control Unit, Argerlich, KleenKut, x Chojin x

Master Control Unit, OrangeAgent

Krilban, Master Control Unit, Killer Al, Legendary Legend, Professor Ruin, Claudette, Mar'Duk, Merciless Fate

Suz, Santa Clauwz, Darcath, Boss Frankenstein, Hoodoo Dolly, Necro-6, Master Control Unit

Nasty Nas, Marisa Warrior, Master Control Unit

Sneaky Sensai, Master Control Unit, Crystal Meth.

Silent Sorcerer, Dryxx, Darkweb, Master Control Unit, Evil Administrator, Rayn Bo

Saphfires, PsychoRedeemer, Ordinary Girl, Brocalia, Golden Link

Ice Ice Boogie, Cabbage., Ordinary Girl, Medic dude, Phoenix Volcano

Great D, DOC ., Captain Equality, Sentryman, P H D

Great D, DOC ., Captain Equality, P H D, KungFooChikin, Snuggleshot

Galatic Man, X-Radia, Captain Equality, Neoke Redefined

Captain Equality, Mystic Flux, Hottie Healer

scrapperman, Vincentx, Captain Equality, Asura

DGod, SuperGodfallElite, Zica, Trollbot, Evolution.

T0AN, Angel of Illusions, Ice-Kalki, Whirlwind Visionary, Captain Equality, PyroMinxx, Kintensity

ArmourGeddon, Liquidat0r, Ariad, DylsGoodside, Captain Equality, Awe-Shade

Autumn., Numph., Bianca-Jade, Sedgwick, Colossus 2

Aretta, D-Mented, Burnt Sienna, Diablos Jr, Ur Mum, Hero 2, Gangstez, Knightly Vengance

Ann Hancemen, Third Strike, Razorwind, Nova Celestia

Big Red Git, babel, Captain Equality, MR JR, Storm Enchantress

Blue-Reaction, Sgt. Stride, Mother's Love, Captain Equality, Admiral Freezer, Fulcrum Arrow

Brother PsychoPlant, Pointy stick master, Brain Wheels, Captain Impossible, Envoy of Flame, Arachno-Murk, Bubba Bash, Blinky the Troller

Brother Smash, Zhao Xia, Captain Equality, Migician, Azaral, Invisible Lad

Captain Cowtastic, CEBU, Aplite, Captain Impossible, Steele Titan, Markalicious, gothic queen 40k, Professor Arcane

Captain Equality, Blaze Eagle, Star Jewel, Toxic Red, HAIJEN, Frozen Echo, Blaze Marauder, Scarr

Dark Reptillion, Vectorial, Ms Freedom, Nightwysh, Caryatyd, Monkey Chop Banana, Red Spines, Captain Impossible

Edited by Herotu

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

• 2 weeks later

Thanks to all who made this happen, I just created my 1st character in 10 years and can't wait to get stuck in more, I was recently bemoaning all my lost CoH Screenshots of all my freinds from the old servers and thinking about how great the game was, did a quick search and woah! Late to the party this time after hitting the European beta last time around, best time I ever had in a game and you brought back so many memories already... now if I could just remember that original costume...... 

• Like 2

this is literally going to be the first time back since COV originally launched! I'm so damn excited. so thank you!! I appreciate your efforts heaps and lots. I used to play this back in Australia on Virtue (US) and omg the lag was so bad sometimes but I didn't care. This time I'm in the US so should be better 🙂