Macro to follow target?

Mashugana

Does it make sense to add 'follow target' to melee attacks so you charge up to your target?

I am used to ranged heroes and I am struggling a bit to keep my scrapper engaged when in the chaos of fighting.  I've found some success with using Follow to get up to them like a charge ability.

Do you guys put Follow in your attacks?

Thank for any help or suggestions for someone new to close range melee 🙂

Nope.

Combat Teleport > Follow.

IMO: Follow is far too slow and I cannot recall a single time it placed me within melee range of a target. In fairness there are some situations that will flummox CT and place you out of melee range as well, but those are outliers. With Follow it was every damn time.  Whatever the trick was to using it, I never figured it out. 😄

Edit:

If you haven't give CT a try.  It can easily be bound to Target, shift-<movementkey>, mousechord, all sorts of things.

Many guides on how to do so, most better than my hacked-up out of date files.  But if you want some CT tips/tricks many will be happy to oblige if you have trouble finding the info.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I use follow all of time in melee. Not only does it bring me into melee range, it also keeps me there if the target moves. Always has. So Invader must be talking about while using Hover, which is the only time in the game when follow will not bring you to melee range.

I bind follow and toggleon sprint to a single key, not to my attacks. I bind the attack and toggleoff sprint to my attack keys. This keeps sprint from draining my endurance while I'm in a fight.

Sure Combat Teleport is great, but not every character is a teleporter. And, contrary to the Mix-Maxers playbook, not every character has to be build the same, optimal specs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I have target macros ranging from generic (target_custom_next enemy alive) to specific for a given enemy group or event that I swap out as the case may be.  On my melee-types, next to that target macro I have a button that goes "powexec_name Jaunt$$powexec_location Target Jaunt" and between the two, I'm always where I need to be, hitting whoever needs to be hit next.  

The only time I really 'follow' an enemy is if we're chasing a Drop Ship in RWZ.  And I suggest you never, ever put a Council Wolf on follow.  

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Tab-F-1-2-3 repeat has been how I've played CoH since the first day I played it.

Follow will always get you into melee range if you're on the ground and the target is not running away from you, where it will always fail even if you're running 10x as fast. It will always fail to do so if you're hovering. If often works if you have Fly on due to drift unless you've otherwise killed drift.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I use the same macro that @Vulpoid uses.  It works pretty well, but can be frustrating if the enemy flees, because it makes your character move slower than the fleeing enemy, for whatever reason (i.e. your speed powers will not function correctly as a means of pursuit).  This is not a problem with ranged attacks of course.

My favorite means to engage in melee is to macro Combat Teleport.  You can even run down and kill Tsoo Sorcerers and Sky Raider Teleporters with this amazing power.  I love it.  Accept no substitute (if you can fit it with your concept, at least)!  😁👍

• Like 3

lately I've been using a jury-rigged translocation as a combat teleport.   Press and Hold F10 to spin up mystic flight, release to teleport to target and toggle off mystic flight.

1. 0 "powexecslot 10$$bindloadfilesilent .\kb\HornetF5.txt"
  2. F10 "+$$powexectoggleon mystic flight$$bindloadfilesilent .\kb\HornetF6.txt"
  3. F10 "+$$powexectoggleoff mystic flight$$powexeclocation target translocation$$bindloadfilesilent .\kb\HornetF5.txt"

The follow itself could easily be added, but I do that with a separate key. Something like ...

2. F10 "+$$autorun 0$$forward 0$$powexectoggleon mystic flight$$bindloadfilesilent .\kb\HornetF6.txt"
  3. F10 "+$$follow$$powexectoggleoff mystic flight$$powexeclocation target translocation$$bindloadfilesilent .\kb\HornetF5.txt"

• Like 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

On 3/7/2022 at 8:43 AM, Mashugana said:

Does it make sense to add 'follow target' to melee attacks so you charge up to your target?

I am used to ranged heroes and I am struggling a bit to keep my scrapper engaged when in the chaos of fighting.  I've found some success with using Follow to get up to them like a charge ability.

F >  Space > W if needed > #keys for attacks.

I run Combat Jumping on most of my toons, and main melee. Follow into a jump usually gives me momentum to land next to them, even if they run. If not, a little "W" action finishes it.

Edit: Regardless of AT, my toons end up in melee - Out of all the alts Legacy and Homecoming, I can think of only a few that didn't: AR/Nrg Blast, Ill/Emp Troller, Dark/Cold Corr (Legacy); Beam/EnA Sent (Homecoming)

Edited by Errants
  • Like 1

Death is the best debuff.

1 hour ago, Linea said:

lately I've been using a jury-rigged translocation as a combat teleport.   Press and Hold F10 to spin up mystic flight, release to teleport to target and toggle off mystic flight.

2. F10 "+$$powexectoggleon mystic flight$$bindloadfilesilent .\kb\HornetF6.txt"
  3. F10 "+$$powexectoggleoff mystic flight$$powexeclocation target translocation$$bindloadfilesilent .\kb\HornetF5.txt"

This looks cool, but wouldn't we need your HornetF.txt files?

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 9:43 AM, Mashugana said:

For scrappers, tankers and brutes, I use

/macro flw "follow"

I target normally and, once I have the target I want, I click the "flw" macro.

You can hit your first attack button on the way to the target, and it will go off once you are in range. Then simply continue to use your attack chain until the target goes down or you want to change targets.

Once the target is down or a new target is selected, click the "flw" macro and repeat.

Sometimes simply following isn't going to get you to the target and you may need to jump or otherwise navigate to get to the target, but then you can trigger the "flw" macro to "stick" to them.

I use a Logitech F310 controller instead of using the keyboard (how I set-up my controller is posted elsewhere)

For Tanks, I put Taunt in tray 1, slot 1 - as soon as I think the tank can take agro-ing mobs.

For scrappers, tanks, and brutes, I put the "flw" macro in tray 1, slot 5.

If you alt frequently, I would suggest finding a pattern for standard power tray placement. I mean by that, locating powers that function similarly in the same location on the trays. Always placing single target attacks in the same place and alway placing AoEs in the same place. I always directly click on the tray for power that I need to place manually versus through target selection.

1-4 single target attacks (in most cases, fastest to slowest recharge speed - fastest in 1)

5-6 cones/AoEs

7 * Heal Insps macro

8 tray flip to 2 (back to tray 1, if on tray 2)

9 fast travel power (fly, superleap, etc.)

0 combat or slower travel power (hover, combat jumping, etc.) [I actually tend to put combat jumping in my toggle tray)

and, as I just indicated, I have tray that is just for my toggled powers that I always tend to keep running.

Toggling between the trays gives you additional access to click powers that you can't fit in your primary tray.

This is a basic framework but their are always exceptions. The framework is consistent enough so that when I jump to an alt, it pretty much plays the same with some minor re-adjustments.

* Heal insps macro

/macro Heal "inspexec_name respite$$inspexec_name dramatic_improvement$$inspexec_name resurgence"

-  or  -

/marco heal "$$inspexec_name Perfect Health$$inspexec_name Resurgence$$inspexec_name Invigorating Imbuement$$inspexec_name Greater Health Imbuement$$inspexec_name Invigorate$$inspexec_name Dramatic Improvement$$inspexec_name Rejuvenatating Imbuement$$inspexec_name Health Imbuement$$inspexec_name Rejuvenate$$inspexec_name Respite"

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

This looks cool, but wouldn't we need your HornetF.txt files?

Line 2 is (effectively) the content of file5

Line 3 is (effectively) the content of file6

They point to each other with the 0 key functioning as a reset/resync ... as lag fubars press/hold/release binds from time to time.

You have to edit them to fit how and where you put bind files.  I always but bind files in <insert path>/coh/kb/file.txt  But if you don't do the same, it will break for you.

Also, I'm using 3 keys, you'd want to edit the extras out.  3 because one of the characters uses 3 different emotes and some randomization that's off-topic.  the 5 and 6 version doesn't include that, but binds all three keys for consistency between characters.

Press/Hold/Release binds will take some patience and learning if you've never done them before. they are not just drag and drop and it works.

HornetF5.txt HornetF6.txt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

On 3/7/2022 at 4:35 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Tab-F-1-2-3 repeat has been how I've played CoH since the first day I played it.

Follow will always get you into melee range if you're on the ground and the target is not running away from you, where it will always fail even if you're running 10x as fast. It will always fail to do so if you're hovering. If often works if you have Fly on due to drift unless you've otherwise killed drift.

Basically do the same only instead of tab I've keybound the 'r' key to target nearest foe so it became r,f,"attacks".  Usually tab is used to quickly scan the mob at range to spot targets of importance.  I've other macros that I use for specific foes -> sappers, bossnames, etc..  If they are running away that's when they'll get Focus in the back or being a relatively patient scrapper/player the r just moves me to the next and their cowardice will be dealt with shortly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doomguide2005 said:

If they are running away that's when they'll get Focus in the back

It is damn good for that. 🙂

Edit: When I was doing that swipe-only scrapper, I rebound tab to targetenemynear (unsure if that's right) and have been wondering ever since why that wasn't my default...

Edit2: I remembered... can't quickly tab through a spawn to see what's there. But still... damn fun on melee cuz we don't care.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 3:17 PM, UltraAlt said:

For scrappers, tankers and brutes, I use

/macro flw "follow"

I target normally and, once I have the target I want, I click the "flw" macro.

You can hit your first attack button on the way to the target, and it will go off once you are in range. Then simply continue to use your attack chain until the target goes down or you want to change targets.

Once the target is down or a new target is selected, click the "flw" macro and repeat.

Sometimes simply following isn't going to get you to the target and you may need to jump or otherwise navigate to get to the target, but then you can trigger the "flw" macro to "stick" to them.

I use a Logitech F310 controller instead of using the keyboard (how I set-up my controller is posted elsewhere)

For Tanks, I put Taunt in tray 1, slot 1 - as soon as I think the tank can take agro-ing mobs.

For scrappers, tanks, and brutes, I put the "flw" macro in tray 1, slot 5.

If you alt frequently, I would suggest finding a pattern for standard power tray placement. I mean by that, locating powers that function similarly in the same location on the trays. Always placing single target attacks in the same place and alway placing AoEs in the same place. I always directly click on the tray for power that I need to place manually versus through target selection.

1-4 single target attacks (in most cases, fastest to slowest recharge speed - fastest in 1)

5-6 cones/AoEs

7 * Heal Insps macro

8 tray flip to 2 (back to tray 1, if on tray 2)

9 fast travel power (fly, superleap, etc.)

0 combat or slower travel power (hover, combat jumping, etc.) [I actually tend to put combat jumping in my toggle tray)

and, as I just indicated, I have tray that is just for my toggled powers that I always tend to keep running.

Toggling between the trays gives you additional access to click powers that you can't fit in your primary tray.

This is a basic framework but their are always exceptions. The framework is consistent enough so that when I jump to an alt, it pretty much plays the same with some minor re-adjustments.

* Heal insps macro

/macro Heal "inspexec_name respite$$inspexec_name dramatic_improvement$$inspexec_name resurgence"

-  or  -

/marco heal "$$inspexec_name Perfect Health$$inspexec_name Resurgence$$inspexec_name Invigorating Imbuement$$inspexec_name Greater Health Imbuement$$inspexec_name Invigorate$$inspexec_name Dramatic Improvement$$inspexec_name Rejuvenatating Imbuement$$inspexec_name Health Imbuement$$inspexec_name Rejuvenate$$inspexec_name Respite"

There is so much goodness in this post I do not know where to start. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Basically do the same only instead of tab I've keybound the 'r' key to target nearest foe so it became r,f,"attacks".  Usually tab is used to quickly scan the mob at range to spot targets of importance.  I've other macros that I use for specific foes -> sappers, bossnames, etc..  If they are running away that's when they'll get Focus in the back or being a relatively patient scrapper/player the r just moves me to the next and their cowardice will be dealt with shortly.

Thank you. I've always been a little frustrated by the logic behind the default 'Tab' select enemy.  It seems to want to target the enemy that is absolutely impossible for me to attack first and then cycle through everyone until the closest is last.  I will use the 'target nearest' macro - ty so much.

1 hour ago, Mashugana said:

Thank you. I've always been a little frustrated by the logic behind the default 'Tab' select enemy.  It seems to want to target the enemy that is absolutely impossible for me to attack first and then cycle through everyone until the closest is last.  I will use the 'target nearest' macro - ty so much.

You're welcome.  Just don’t do what I did initially.  I found the auto run annoying so when I was looking to set up target nearest I noticed the proximity to the f for follow.  Figured I'd take care of both issues by moving auto run well across the keyboard from the movement keys to p so I wouldn't accidentally hit it.   Great!  Till I suggested trying to pull some dangerous mobs and I promptly shot towards the mob of pumucites auto run agoing.

On 3/9/2022 at 2:44 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

It is damn good for that. 🙂

Edit: When I was doing that swipe-only scrapper, I rebound tab to targetenemynear (unsure if that's right) and have been wondering ever since why that wasn't my default...

Edit2: I remembered... can't quickly tab through a spawn to see what's there. But still... damn fun on melee cuz we don't care.

10 hours ago, Mashugana said:

Ctrl+Tab is default for "TargetEnemyNearest", BTW...

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Not gonna say I've never known this... but it sure as hell ain't in the current brain-db. Thx.

My fingers remembered before I did... Had to make the motion on the keyboard to figure out the keys.

Don't feel bad.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later
On 3/7/2022 at 7:49 AM, InvaderStych said:

If you haven't give CT a try.  It can easily be bound to Target, shift-<movementkey>, mousechord, all sorts of things.

Since I started using Combat Teleport I want to respec all my characters into it.

I bind it to Q since it's right next to WASD, and also to SHIFT+LMOUSE. So in normal combat I'll TAB to something I want to punch, press Q and punch it. And if I just want to go somewhere I use shift and the mouse to TP somewhere on the map.

I've always taken Combat Jumping on every toon and usually hit F to follow and Space to CJ to the target, but lots of maps have funky little platforms to jump onto and with Combat Teleport I just hit Q and BAMF I'm right there next to my target. Super useful on TV Respec Trials and any multi-level map, and also useful on regular flat maps and rooms. 

Love it.