Will we ever see Wind Control?

this was in the files back in the day for Issue 25

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Wind_Control

We have seen Blasters, Corruptors, Defenders get new sets. Tanks got a rework all of which we cool and some was certainly necessary. 

Controllers and Dominators could use some love as well. especially since they havent gotten a new Primary since the game was live. 

PS Water Assault for Doms... think about it !!!!

• Thumbs Up 6

Wind control powers are in the game files but i dont know if animations are.  Im guessing the animations are not or we probably would have seen it by now.  Doesnt mean the team wont finish it,  but my understanding is animations are the more labor intensive part of a powerset.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Heatstroke said:

We have seen Blasters, Corruptors, Defenders get new sets. Tanks got a rework all of which we cool and some was certainly necessary. 

Controllers and Dominators could use some love as well. especially since they havent gotten a new Primary since the game was live. 

Controller version: 

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/powerset.html?pset=controller_control.wind_control

Dominator version:

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/powerset.html?pset=dominator_control.wind_control

• Thumbs Up 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 4/3/2022 at 9:56 PM, Heatstroke said:

I hate being the person to bring on doomsday but, honestly probably not. The dev team probably could've made it by now if they wanted to based on the fact new sets and mechanics were developed and they simply haven't touched the concept. I'm totally in favor of them creating the set though don't get me wrong and I'd love to see it! I'm just saying I don't think you should get your hopes up 😞

• Thumbs Up 1

To my knowledge the powers exist in the game files but only as placeholders, they have no animations or visual effects. Our devs could theoretically create effects for them similar to how rad melee and armor were done but the big problem there is the only wind VFX that exist currently are in storm summoning, which would mean a lot of duplicated visuals if someone made a wind/storm controller which you can bet a lot of people would.

Thus they'd have to create wholly new visuals for it which is a lot more work than recycling existing ones. And recycling existing ones isn't exactly a trivial task to begin with.

• Thanks 1

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

• 1 month later
On 4/3/2022 at 9:56 PM, Heatstroke said:

Good idea. The seismic set was a lot of fun when they created that.

Buddy the Elf makes debut for HUB Late Night

Untitled.jpg

I thought about animations a bit and there is a fair amount of potentially usable visuals outside of storm summoning.

Gravity control has propel that would probably look amazing with a smaller gale effect to push the object.  A slightly tweaked singularity could become the summon vortex.  Many gravity effects already are very 'airy' looking and with a color and sound change would make convincing wind.

Kinetics as well since it looks very similar to gravity.  Use siphon power animation but reverse the animation to come from the player and hit the target and you now have shot someone with wind.  Use speed boost animation for a shot and the windy part of frost shield (without the ice armor) for the hit.

And resized effects from within storm summoning could do quite a bit as well.  A miniature version of tornado or lightning storm could be what you shoot.  Steamy mist or hurricane with a radius just larger than the enemy could animate the holds and immobilizes.

And while it isnt ideal to recycle animations in order to create a new powerset,  if animations are the only thing holding the set back and there are no plans to create new animations then i think the players would prefer repurposed animations over not having wind control at all.  With alternate animations,  'new and finished' animations could always be added at a later time if the team were so inclined.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later

I would also love to see Wind Control... here is my list of "recycling of visuals" that I (personally) would be totally fine with:

• Ranged, Hold(Foe), -Movement(Foe), -Rech(Foe), -Fly(Foe), Pressure Builder (Self)
    This one seems to be the most tricky... basically some kneel/bent-over animation (similar to the throwing-up animation, but without the "empty your stomach"?) would be nice, but I'm not sure how easy it is to "lengthen" that animation into a "hold".
  • Ranged, Light DMG(Smashing), Knockup(Foe), -Fly(Foe), Pressure Builder (Self)
    Use Gravity's Knockup, it's essentially the same. Or, way cooler: use Ghost Window's Soul Patron Pool Single Target Hold, but I don't see this happening.
  • Breathless (This one actually needs to be renamed, being out of breath does not immobilize...? it would stun/hold/...) Oppressing Winds?
    Ranged (Targeted AoE), Variable DMG(Lethal), Immobilize (Foe), -DMG(Foe, All), +EndCost(Foe, PvP), Consumes Pressure
    Have the little green "slow" effects around hands and feet be obvious and constant, maybe "crouch/kneel" mobs to show how the air pressure makes it impossible for them to move. Add some "Hover" visuals around enemy feet.
  • PBAoE (Toggle), -Speed (Foe, All), -Fly(Foe), -ToHit(Foe), -DMG(Foe, All)
    Group Fly's animation would be very fitting here, and is a rarely seen animation to begin with. With the ashy stuff from Fire Control Holds around enemy heads?
  • Ranged (Cone), Minor DMG(Smashing), Knockdown(Foe), -ToHit(Foe), Pressure Builder (Self)
    Sonic Blast has a few cones that would be quite fitting here.
  • Ranged (Targeted AoE), Variable DMG(Smashing), Stun(Foe), -Speed(Foe, All), -Fly(Foe), -Rech(Foe), Chance for -DEF(Foe, All), Consumes Pressure
    Sonic Blasts, as well as Psi Blasts have some fitting visuals here.
  • Ranged (Targeted AoE), Confuse(Foe), EndDrain(Foe), +End(Self)
    Gravity's Propel without the actual objects or Sorcery's Arcane Bolt without the rune? The effect on enemies with confuse is always the same, so nothing new here? Maybe add "white ash" from Char Fire Holds around enemy heads?
  • Ranged (Targeted AoE), Hold (Foe), Moderate DoT (Lethal), -Movement(Foe), -Rech(Foe), -ToHit(Foe), Special(Pet), Pressure Consumer (Self)
    This screams Gravity AoE Hold... Mobs hovering suspended in the air... maybe combine with some force bubble effect around enemies. The caster animation from Ghost widow's single target hold would be perfect here 😇.
  • Self (Auto), +ToHit, +Rech, +Rec, -EndCost
    No textures needed: auto power
  • Summon Vortex
    I wish this would not be so "obviously" Gravity Simulacrum... so maybe like Storm's Tornado/Leviathan's Water Spout?
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like how the Devs are getting a bit creative with powers. Some of the HC powers had some unique aspects to them which is great. I'd prefer that over just using an old power and re-skinning it. If wind power is just a re-skin of old powers then leave it out.

It is running on two other servers structures (like Unity and Thunderspy I think), though one I think is broke because the Tier 9 Pet is actually obtainable at level 1.  Its interesting to play but I didn't do it long enough to really get into building up pressure.  Animations were fairly cool and in many cases appearend to be similar to say Lift or Tornado or Gust.  The Pet was a orb like thing similar to singularity if I remember right.  It had a lot of Knockup and down in it.  I mean thematically it would be seksi with Storm Summoning.

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

7 hours ago, High_Beam said:

It is running on two other servers structures (like Unity and Thunderspy I think), though one I think is broke because the Tier 9 Pet is actually obtainable at level 1.  Its interesting to play but I didn't do it long enough to really get into building up pressure.  Animations were fairly cool and in many cases appearend to be similar to say Lift or Tornado or Gust.  The Pet was a orb like thing similar to singularity if I remember right.  It had a lot of Knockup and down in it.  I mean thematically it would be seksi with Storm Summoning.

Very interesting. I haven't been on those in ages. I prefer HC.

If it's very little effort to add the power here then add it. Nothing wrong with more. If it requires a lot of work to add it then I'd rather the Devs work on something else.

First, they might have to see if the animations and effects require that the gigantic spaghetti code be modified in any way shape and or form. If this is the case, then very likely there won't be an implementation of this until a safeguard is found that won't screw up a mechanic that might be dependent on the unmodified bit of code what might require to be adjusted in order for the new set to be added.

Its all about the big spaghetti code not getting messed up... :|

I want Wind Control really bad but I don't want it to be overly bland/recycled. I understand there's recycling that goes on in any set (how many unique activation animations are there really?) but I would want the set to look/feel/play unique.

• Thumbs Up 1

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

• 2 weeks later