Best all around solo character (no AVs/Monsters)

Ravenprince

I can't seem to get out of the character builder.  I get too hung up on the -regen for fighting AVs solo.  But I give up, I just want whatever will kick butt on everything except AVs without any crazy IO set bonuses.  Would love suggestions, thanks!  

Thanks to the Long Riders , I have several toons with no IO set bonuses (or a pretty limited number). If you're running mishes in default mode, just about Scrapper/Blaster/Brute/Sent (even) works. I can only comment on that to Lvl 42, which is where the highest one in that mode is parked. The biggest struggle is most often with END issues in the 20s/30s. This is one reason I've run an inordinate number of Regen sents - just to have the extra stamina, and some status protection (I grab their additional defenses from things like fighting pool, or even stealth). My most recent DM/Elec Brute seems to handle big groups pretty well, though he's far from on touchable. Only L20, so we'll see how well he holds up.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

9 minutes ago, cranebump said:

My most recent DM/Elec Brute seems to handle big groups pretty well, though he's far from on touchable. Only L20, so we'll see how well he holds up.

I ran a DM/Elec brute back on Live. Give yourself some time and he will get there, even on SOs.

I'm going to be that guy and say ... "Umm for my money every AT and any combination of power sets."  Seriously though, OP's question has so much to do with personal preference that almost any answer is good enough.  Now if you want to narrow down to say can do +4/8 Malta solo then at least that helps thin the herd a bit.  Or say be able to handle +4/8 carnies.  But I can make the argument that depending on the approach to game play any AT can solo better than 90% of this game with just the basic understanding of IOs, maybe some set bonuses for good measure and liberal application of insp.

Based on my personal toons I'd say: dark/bio scrapper, street justice/ninjitsu scrapper, and illusion/storm controller are kick ass solo and can handle just about any situation without blinking.  The scrapper's builds were probably in the 500-750 mil range and the controller is probably 650ish mil range.  So nothing breaking the bank in terms of sets.  Those aren't the only high powered toons I have but they are the ones I have a lot of fun with.

I leveled a rad armor/dark melee tank on SOs all the way to 50 and it was damn good.  Then it got crazy good with an IO build. 

Very good resists, some absorb, 2 heals that do damage and almost endless endurance.  Once you go IOs you can also get softcapped to some defense vectors on top of all that.

You cannot beat a claws scrapper for a "do anything" character IMO.

And you can pretty much take whatever secondary you want with it, and make it work.  some end hits will need the +endo procs to run smoothe, such as dark armor. But claws scrappers are amazing.

And well that guy aka @iBot beat me to it pretty much anything can solo pretty much everything in the game if you exclude AV and GM rank foes from the equation.  It'll come down to personal preferences and tolerances.  How fast, how much mez, how far you go in adding p2w options, notoriety settings, how many or if you use IOs etc., etc..  Most of the above have armor and mez protection except for the blaster who especially outside of IOs and p2w is basically a glass cannon ... but playstyle, skill and or a few key IOs can make that glass highly bullet resistant.  A Scrapper or Brute on SOs only are probably the most straightforward solo builds but I've run solo Empathy defenders pre IO.  They won't set speed records or spawn size records but I was soloing at least one of them on Invincible in Cimeroran repeatables way back and the build had IOs but was a long, long way from a beastly build even for that time nevermind today's levels of IOs (lots of patience, Cosmic Burst and Air Superiority involved).

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Thumbs Up 1