The Long Riders (trad/slow play SG-LFM)

cranebump

Been toying with the idea a bit, but, as a fan of throwback play, looking for folks interested in making this a thang:

SG NAME: The Long Riders

Premise: The Long Riders is an SG dedicated to (a slightly updated method of) traditional, or, as it it sometimes called, "slow" play. The focus is the story, as it spools out into character history. Bottom line: Running to 50's cool. But how about enjoying the languid (nostalgic?) pace of the game as it just is? Preferably on teams that actually need each other beyond just filling a team to the sacred 8?

Rules & Regs: Yeah, we have a few. Mainly, though: aiming for a bit of flexibility, while keeping it simple. Anyhoo, here they are (for the moment - cnosidering dropping the crafting aspect).

Making and running a Long Rider:

1) **Ethos & ATs**: All ATs & ethos’s are welcome! We want to run on both stories on both sides of the fence.

2) **Prestige powers and such:** P2W is open from the get-go. Well, to an extent. Take any prestige power you can afford after conception and birth, with *one exception*:  no purchasing XP enhancements from Lady/Laddie! We’re here for the “long (slow) ride,” after all. Now, Day Job XP boosts? Go for it! Get ALL them extrees!

3) **Taking the Ride:** We focus on story-based contact missions, on default setting. We collect those souvenirs that show us who we are, where we've been. We strive to experience the game just as it is. Um...more or less (prestige powers and all that, plus the way we enhance is a bit, erm,  'updated' [see below]). 

4) **Making $$:** The Ride requires seed money, but ya got to go get it. No sending cash from that nasty a$$ fire farming Dutch Uncle who's always there making you weak.:-) Your toon has to earn their way. That said, do what you gotta - grab those AP explore merits, exchange them for Enhancement Converters and sell, sell, sell. Turn that rare storage into dough so you can keep your Rider enhanced (but not too enhanced [see below]).

5) **Enhancing Your Ride:** You may freely purchase any TO (I mean...if you want to), DO or SO you can afford. Now, IF you can scrounge enough cash to craft IO’s, feel free. Here’s the thing, though. Your recipes have to come from drops. No cheater-pantsing to buy those precious procs and such. Luck of the draw is part of the game. So, bottom line: you can purchase enhances from a typical trainer, and/or craft what drops in your saddle bag. You can hit the Merit Vendor for exchange purposes only (as in turn in the merits to acquire things you will sell for $$). You can also scrounge from base storage and trade with other members...well, when we get those things.:-) NOTE: You are allowed to play the market to grab components for your recipe drops. If you have the cash, make market purchases to get the stuff you need to craft those recipes. Again: can't buy the recipes from the market, but you can build what you earn. And yes: you can exchange hard-earned merits for sets, if you got 'em. But you cannot shift merits from one toon to another. They're yours, hombre. Use 'em wisely.

6) **Task Forces:** Wanna solo ‘em? Give it a shot! But when you team, team with other Riders, please. In fact, if you're planning a TF run, put out the word in advance. Especially for us old Cowpokes who might need time to mosey over (because adultin' is all about schedulin').

7) **The Limits of Power:**As you probably figgered, there ain't no Incarnates in the Long Riders.  In fact, L40 is a ripe age for retirement. That said, if you simply MUST get to 50, do it. Then retire that a$$, because you're too godlike to be in the saddle with us, brutha.

😎 **RP'ing:** This is a casual group. If ya wanna RP, go fer it! If others want to join in, that's a-okay. No one is compelled to do so, however.

A Note on Travel: As far as travel goes, we like to mimic how a "real" team might work. Meaning not everyone has their own personal, multimillion $$ Team Transport.  Honor system for this one, but the TT is used by senior leadership when running teams (meaning I can't go bebopping around in the company car when I'm solo). So, you'll need to achieve L30 (Master Sergeant Rank) to access one. When you do, I'll send the $$ to buy it from one of my lazy-a$$ other toons tooling around on cheater farms and stuff in that alt-dimension of weaklings called Excelsior (kidding! kidding!). Now, you wanna pay for your own TT access when you achieve MSG rank, feel free to send dough from your other bad (alt) selves and do it. Saves me from havin' to raise extra $$.

As for that whole LR TP, ATT, Ouro, and all that? That genie's kinda out of the bottle. If you acquire/earn them, or can afford them, they're yours.

On this topic: I already picked up a TT for Acrobattle, because it seems like, being the so-called leader and all, he should have one (and because I had to do something with those procs he had that I removed from his slots when I transferred and respec'ed him).:-)  He'd already earned LR TP, Ouro, Rapid Response and some other nifties from day job log outs.

Rank Structure, Permissions & Perks: We’re here to work for a living. So, naturally, our ranks are U.S. NCO-based. Further up you go, the more you can do. 

Sergeant Major (SGM) (there can be only one): Head of the group (yours truly), running as Acrobattle (global: @craneump). Mostly ceremonial, once I grind him to 40 (he was frozen at 38 when on the .38 Specials)

First Sergeant (1SG) (L30): Need this rank to edit the base, promote/demote members, and other stuff.

Master Sergeant (MSG) (L25): As Staff Sergeant, plus Promotion of members. Access to Team Transport (if you have one).

Staff Sergeant (SS) (L20): Minimum rank needed to invite members.

Sergeant (SGT) (L15)/Corporal (CPL) (L1): Gotta pay a few dues to move up, kemosabe.

If you're a greenhorn and make rank, be sure to contact an MSG or higher to give you your bump.

Administrative positions: No minimum level.

Quartermaster: If base editing is your thing, I’ll immediately push you to the effective rank of 1SG and cut ya loose to get us a decent base. What we’d want: 

TP’s

Storage 

Flavor! (got some ideas for a sort-of run-down-but-we’re-holding-it-together feel? We want YOU!).

Scheduling: I’m usually on THU evenings/FRI mornings (USA, Eastern-Time).  I happen to be on WED right now by luck of the draw.

Discord: I've created one. Plan to send invites as we recruit solid members. It'd be nice to have a reg'lar posse.

That's it fer now. I'll check back in to see if we got any nibbles. Torch is a quiet shard. Any super team working there is gonna feel like they have the run of the place if they're regulars. Esp. if it's a weekday (THU) group (or a morning team).

Addendum-Costumes: There's no requires, but it might be cool if, when we ran as a team, we fit the motif. That could be an article of western (cowpoke) gear, or just wearing the longhorn emblem. The SG costume colors are red, accented with white, but that's also completely optional. It's your character, hombre.

P.S. Don't knock morning gaming! One of my best experiences was a TT group we called Dungeons & Donuts. Had a solid couple years of good, SAT morning gaming with that team.:-)

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Sounds interesting, and the rules sound reasonable. The idea certainly fits my playstyle well. I have a few character ideas I could dust off for this, and I could use a spark to get back to playing the game normally again rather than working on mods and stuff all the time. I wasn't totally clear if this was intended as more of a static group (which is fine with me) or if it's more of a play-as-you-can, but I assume it's the latter.

Hey there! Thanks for the reply. Hoping we can get some folks who enjoy OS teaming. I coulda used a lil' help tonight finishing off Yates arc versus Terra. Luckily Acrobattle had some temps he could throw out there (envenomed daggers) to whittle her down. 32 merits for that arc! Been so long, didn't remember playing it, so it was brand, spankin' new.

Anyhoo, if/when you get an idea, hit me up at my global, @cranebump. I'm on Excel a lot, but plan to get Acro-alt (my main acro is on Excel) to 40, then run my second Long Rider, Whipsmart, up the chain (he's 20 right now, running all story arcs).

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I would be interested as it's not too far off how I play already. Admittedly, I do XPbuff + TF level most of my characters because I get bored soloing all the time.

How would you propose a starting SG team be handled? Would it be a sort of "level pact" team where arcs are only picked up and run together? Or more like pop in and help with whatever arc whoever is doing?

13 hours ago, Dona Eis Requiem said:

I would be interested as it's not too far off how I play already. Admittedly, I do XPbuff + TF level most of my characters because I get bored soloing all the time.

How would you propose a starting SG team be handled? Would it be a sort of "level pact" team where arcs are only picked up and run together? Or more like pop in and help with whatever arc whoever is doing?

The latter. Outside scheduling events - which is a ways off - I see this as pretty casual. The main focus is to give some love back to the SF mishes. That said, I'm open to any ideas folks want to try that support this mode of play. I think it'd be really cool to have a toon that progresses with a team, be it a dynamic duo, or a full out spread of 8.

3 hours ago, cranebump said:

The latter. Outside scheduling events - which is a ways off - I see this as pretty casual. The main focus is to give some love back to the SF mishes. That said, I'm open to any ideas folks want to try that support this mode of play. I think it'd be really cool to have a toon that progresses with a team, be it a dynamic duo, or a full out spread of 8.

Seems the logical choice to start with. It would probably be easier to do pact runs once things are established.  Drop me a line @Incense and Iron when you're ready to roll out, if you'd like to have me along.

Absolutely. I’ll be off a bit for holiday break. Need to do a small amount of work on the Discord channel and I will get that to you as well. Great to have you aboard!

• Thumbs Up 1

• cranebump changed the title to The Long Riders (trad/slow play SG-LFM)

Did some base work today. Created storage for Insp's, salvage and enhancements. Crafting bench, Merit Vendor and Mish Computer is available. Bit of window dressing. Still need some TP pads. Plenty of room for window dressing, if we can recruit a quartermaster. 

I'll be online (but not necessarily in game) most of this morning (pending a quick trip to the post office). If anyone interested in joining or needs an invite, lemme know and I'll hop on. 

As expected from you, Crane. 😃

Unfortunately, the ping from my corner of this flat earth to where Torchbearer server and the time difference prevents me from full enjoyment of such. As it is, I'm restricted to Reunion, though restricted is a strong word. Enjoy the ride.

A little encouragement for those daunted by the Rules. You get about 20+ mil in chump change for the entire trip to 50. This is just from missions and selling white & yellow salvage (don't sell oranges, they're still kinda rare to drop). This means you might want to hold off on SOs and invest in rot-free crafted enhancements. Recipes for them are cheap and drop often enough. You'll also get more than enough IO Recipe drops to fully kit your toon. This plus converters should get your toon the IOs it wants. Just pay attention to the IO level when converting. Unless it's attuned (20 Merits??? my ass! I can get that cheaper from that other guy over at the... oh wait). As I was saying, certain IOs are not available or are only available at certain level ranges. You can check the merit vendor (under recipes) just to be sure.

Again, enjoy the ride. Really wish I could come along.

Boo Six-Six! BOOOOOOOO!!:-)

Sorry we can't have you along, but I totally get the reason why. And thanks for the info! I'm hoping merit conversion allowance will be something that encourages more people to "story up." I've already managed to get some drop, craft and sells, though you have to watch the return rate versus cost from time to time. Still, ol' Acrobattle is kitted out with the SO's. Hoping to get lucky on the current arcs he's toiling through. Meanwhile, Whippy is bouncing through the 20s, running into BP, of all things. Have to say, I'm enjoying the ride. It'll be better with more peeps, of course, but, for now, HIYO, CRANEBUMP! AWAAAAY!

• Haha 2

Sorry, my man. Third World internet isn't there yet.

If you find yourself in Reunion, I have a new gig running... two actually. One is no training. So all toons only get T1/T2 primary, T1 secondary, Sprint, Stamina, Health, Brawl and Origin Prestige Power. NO REST! and with just one slot each. It's a little tricky, but doable, especially with a well coordinated team right from the character creation stage. Solo, it's tough. I have one up to 20, the rest are only level 10. I'll see how it goes when beginner's luck runs out. Oh, did I mention no deaths? The fear of dying is what makes it fun. Another group only trains until level 10. Also got one to 20 while the rest are at 10. I'll see how the pioneers do then I'll decide if I'll continue to play hobo (same as your rules above) and no P2W or seek some hand-me-down IOs from alts.

This is your fault, you know. You're the one who showed me this way of playing. 😃 

• Haha 1

I take no responsibility for the insanity of your current idea, Six.:-) 

But, honestly, I can't imagine how hard that must be. Perhaps I'll try it...someday...when I'm really drunk and feeling extra masochistic.:-D

• Haha 1

With SGM Acrobattle at 40, he's going into semi-retirement (to run Sweet Eats bakery in KR, and hang out with his son). Oh, he'll be there when called upon, hombres. Make no mistake.

With our millionaire tech genius Fletcher Finley (aka Whipsmart) aboard, and now at MSG rank, he's brought on a down-and-out rogue looking to start over. I give you TRACKLASH!

unknown.png

Name: Galen Blake
Codename: Tracklash
Power Sets: Dark Melee/Regeneration*/Super Speed (looking to have lotsa rapid-fire fistage):-)
Source: Technology
Origin: Rogue-turned-hero with a score to settle

After I lost my legs, I thought it was over. I thought I - me, myself, everything - was over. But then Fletcher Finley constructed me some some legs. Fashioned me a suit. So now...I'm back out there. Mixin' it up with the bad guys. It's a long road, starting over, but I can tell you this - the Family are gonna regret not finishing me off.

*Yup...taking my life into my own hands with that one.

RIDE, HOMBRES! RIDE!
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Welcome,  Omega Fury! Well...just as soon as I can get you an invite.:-)

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, it took a LONG time running through this arc, but, 20 missions later:

image.png.4851cb6120ac0b07419c7a4b80c5a10c.png

And 48 merits to boot!

Not to worry, folks. I still have Maxwell Anderson's second arc.:-/

Edited by cranebump
  • Thumbs Up 1

Omega and Track had an abbreviated duo of clock smashing (and getting smashed by some nasty orange groups). Tracklash loves teaming with Tanks. They just slide away from him to the big guy.:-)

I'll be on for sure next THU evening, likely around 6 pm EST, if the Riders wanna make it a team thing. Tracklash is ready to run the Hollows. Meanwhile, Acro is attempting to solo Pos1, and Whippie is embroiled in various missions in IP.

Good times!

Okay, solo run of Pos1 complete. Thank you insps. (and that timer's got to be wrong)

image.png.54aa3ddfe801ec3cf3815874d7fe1ab7.png

Right... I couldn't help myself. I rolled Mean Green Demon on Torch, red of course. I'll probably visit the bird when I get the chance so I can step on blue soil. Currently level 6, should be 10 in a few hours. So far, the internet gods have been good. could be better, but I'll take what I can get.

I'll try to be on when you cowpokes are on (Thursday nights to Friday mornings EST?). I can make it around 9am to 3pm (that's 10pm to 4am my time) almost everyday, unless something out of the ordinary comes up. Hope I bump into yous.

Roger that, hombre. Hit me up for an SG invite, if yer so inclined (tips hat(.

11 minutes ago, Six-Six said:

Right... I couldn't help myself. I rolled Mean Green Demon on Torch, red of course. I'll probably visit the bird when I get the chance so I can step on blue soil. Currently level 6, should be 10 in a few hours. So far, the internet gods have been good. could be better, but I'll take what I can get.

I'll try to be on when you cowpokes are on (Thursday nights to Friday mornings EST?). I can make it around 9am to 3pm (that's 10pm to 4am my time) almost everyday, unless something out of the ordinary comes up. Hope I bump into yous.

Friday mornings are less predictable for me than THU evenings. But...next week I'll seek to check in.

Incense let me in the door. Ha! I pity you poor polks, letting a trouble maker like me in. thanks and hope to run with you guys soon (just gotta get some chores done for the wife rn).

wait... I just noticed all the cowboy references. Is there a thematic going on? I can cough up a new costume.

• Like 1