What is your most fondest or favorite memory of COH?

I had a personal goal for a while. I looked at the wiki and made a checklist and I set about finding every "Big Name" villain in the game and clonking them in the head with a temp power baseball bat.

Nemesis, Clockwork King, Vanessa DeVore, anybody who was kind of the head of a faction. Clonk, clonk. Right in the head.

I was kinda thinking it was my character reminding these big name villains to stay humble because they were still vulnerable to something that mundane.

I filled out my list. Looking at the wiki, though, there's some names I don't recognize. Must've added a few in issues after I left.

Maybe it's time for a second inning.

My fondest memory was of my Illusion/Empathy controller in The Hollows … I would constantly be joining pugs to do Atta and Frostfire missions, over and over … I vastly out-leveled the area doing these and had to be side-kicked to lower my level in order to play them … eventually, in my late level 20's I had to call it quits as no one would team with her … but, at the end of each day, the last 30 minutes before closing down and going to bed, I would hover above the low level areas in The Hollows and rain down Heals on players in trouble, rezzing when necessary.

I recall an Atta mission that took us about 4 hours to complete - it was insanely difficult and we kept wiping … eventually it got so late that one of the guys offered to log in 'his 50' and so that's how we completed it.

As an Illusion/Emp controller I played as scout/secondary healer - using 'Confuse' on the mobs attacking the squishies

I remember learning Mob Aggro Circles in The Hollows … something many new players in other mmo's never learned.  I can now run through high level areas in most mmo's without a scratch, without aggroing any mobs, thanks to the lessons learned in The Hollows.

I recall a team in The Hollows, a Frostfire mission when I was playing my Empathy/Dark Defender … there was this Blaster that actually listened to me when I asked them to be more careful about drawing aggro … over the course of several weeks this Blaster and I became good friends and we still stay in touch today … he introduced his best friend to the game and to me and his friend became my friend - a lovely guy whom I am in touch with daily on Steam, he always makes me laugh.  He is just as overjoyed at being able to play CoX again.  (Both of them live in Sweden and I am UK)

City of Heroes is the first mmo I felt comfortable joining PUGs … after CoX I played solo in other mmo's/games … until The Division 2 - these 2 games are the only games I feel comfortable joining PUGs

So one of my fondest memories of the game was my Main making it into the Comic. I submitted an idea for a bumper sticker in a contest on the official forums and won. Which lead to me winning a spot in the original run of the comic that came with the game. Issue 8 show up in my mail box one week and there she is, "LadyFlame" big as day, it was a site to behold. What struck me as odd about it was how they had her mannerisms down. She was one of my first true RP characters and what you see in the comic is how I used to RP her.

Then I remembered, that there was a player that ran with our SG for a few days "BrickPheonix". He was a solid player and fit right in with our SG everyone liked him and we even asked him to join our SG, he declined but I cannot remember the reason. However (in hind site) I realized that he seemed very interested in my Bio and asked questions about my character. Then a few months later there she was in the comic. It was only then that it struck me that BrickPheonix must have been someone involved in the comic to ensure that when they put out characters in the Comic they were as close to true as possible.

It was just one more reason for me to love the Dev team.

Early in Beta.

I don't recall ever being so excited to test out a game in its early stages. We had started up a SG in the game forums and handful of us got in at the same time and started running at every opportunity. Even at that stage the game exceeded our expectations.

For most of us on that team, it was love at first play.

Hitting 40 on my Gravity Controller in the days before the Singularity pet, Containment, or revamped Propel. It felt like such a slog, and I watched my Illusion and Fire Controller pals crushing enemies. I was lucky that my secondary was Kinetics, so I was at least valuable ;-)

After that, it was probably building a non-squishy Fire Tank using IOs, and despite advocating for the concept with a theoretical build on the forums, not being totally confident that I'd be able to pull off tanking Lord Recluse or Main Tanking Hamidon. Of course, the credit really goes to the support, but they were gracious in both instances and said I made it easy. It felt like a vindication of the idea that Fire Tanks didn't have to be squishy.

First flight.  First scrapperlock.  First TF/SF.  Meeting someone who became a friend, meeting another through them.  Still being in constant contact with them both to this day.  Seeing a level 50 stop to throw a buff or heal on a lowbie who's in over their head, without just winning the fight for them.  Seeing the 50 team up - and exemplar down instead of SKing the lower-level up.  Seeing a dev actually playing their own game - not just doing Pocket D chatter, actually out on the streets.  Seeing players toil, sweat, and strain to write their stories, and seeing them get recognized over the farm-maps in Architect.  Seeing young and old, new and veteran, casual, hardcore, RP, grindhead, all finding their place in the city we called home.

And even though it didn't stop it then, seeing Atlas Park and Mercy Island multi-instanced by all the people carrying a torch, trying to keep the lights on just a minute longer.

Early days on protector!  PvP infancy before servers could meet on the test server.  Poison Spinner, Petrious (Uber rad/psi) and many others who were great friends.  I tried to PvP with a dark/dark defender and everyone was cool even though I was so bad...really cool peeps in this game.  Then Justice and Protector battled in arena.  Protector had an awesome group of skilled players however our teams were not PvP optimized.  We had scrappers, tanks, kinetics, storms, etc.  Justice had Johnny Preist and 2 emps following him.  I watched as an observer and my mind was blown.  I hope my memory serves me right about Justice.  Also, first edan trial was the most amazing PvE time I have ever had in a video game.

Drinking with Ex Libris. Ex could drink a person under the table. I remember when Ex did boiler makers with Marcian Tobay. That was fun to watch.

I seriously miss Ex Libris, now going by Max Jones. He was a character, and had a good heart. Hope to see him again IRL sometime to give him a hug.

Obsidius

Excelsior Server | The Nightwatch

NW-738

It's only ancillary to actually playing the game itself, but my fondest memory was winning a costume contest in my Super Group, the Circle of Jerks (then the League of Extraordinary Bastards as I recall).  Whoever was running it mailed me a bunch of ATI Radeon swag and it was probably one of the coolest moments of my otherwise punishingly-awkward teenage years.

There's a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in putting Johnny Rad into this forum's first costume contest, lemme tell you.

Lead of the <New Praetorians Initiative> supergroup.  Goldside enjoyer.  Perennial RP-etiquette overthinker.

Most of my writing is SG-internal, but the following are SFMA that anybody should be able to play if you want new story-based content.

• NPI: Duray, Duray | 25575: - The New Praetorians scramble to stop the Praetorian and Primal Virgil Durays from getting the band back together.
  • NPI: Brickstown Vice | 36729, 40648, 40803 - The New Praetorians aid Marauder in a drug bust that dredges up his past.  Branches into two paths.
  • NPI: Red Resistance | 43796 - The New Praetorians run afoul of vigilantes after a robbery gone wrong.  Crossover with <Hero Corps Founders Falls>.
  • NPI: Leucochloridium | 44863: - A wellness check on a Woodvale cleanup officer turns over unfinished, Praetorian business.
  • How Emperor Cole Saved Christmas | 45794 - A 100% authentic simulation of how Emperor Cole singlehandedly saved the holiday of Christmas!
  • Bassilisk | 51947 - Several Paragon City villain groups fight over the Rikti's dumbest entirely-canonical doomsday weapon.
  • A Freakshow Love Story | 54544 - Ganymede the cherub calls upon heroes to break up a toxic romance that's going to have explosive fallout!

Honestly the first day I played the game. It was my first MMO and I had debated for months on actually getting into it because I was in college with little money and it was a game you had to pay for and then pay a sub fee for and I wasn't sure I was ready for it, it seemed so...grown up. I must have picked up and read the box at the computer game store(yes we had those back then...) 5 or 6 times and then finally I bought it. I must have sat at the character creator screen for 2 hours that first night just trying to figure out what I wanted to make, then finally got in and did the tutorial. I was still clueless and just wandering around Atlas Park fighting mobs and then somehow accidentally sent a team invite to some level 50 that was nearby. I almost expected some kind of elitist rebuke or talk down for not knowing what I was doing, but instead this person asked me if I was new and when I said yes they spent the next hour showing me around Atlas Park, helped me get a few badges, basically taught me how the communication and chat system worked, explained some power and build basics and then gifted me a bunch of enhancements and some influence. I was really taken aback by their kindness since I'd never experienced anything like that before in gaming. I thanked them profusely and said being a noob level 4 I didn't have much to repay them with, and they simply said if I stick with the game and someday I'm a big level 50, just help out some new players and pass it along.

That was my introduction to the community on the Infinity server, and essentially an indication of how the run of the game would go for me. COX to this day still had the BEST gaming community I've ever been a part of and there were so many amazing in game interactions like that one, but that will always stick out to me as one of the best in game experiences I've ever had in any game.

• Like 1

While not some of my fondest, the conversations on PinnBadges were often, and unrepeatabely, interesting.  Including one line of conversation that had references to the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie and how a certain woman ended up.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

There is a little easter egg incorporated in Homecoming that harks back to the big outpouring of defiance against the shutdown announcement. If you pay attention to the character select screen, when you click on a character, if they logged out in Atlas Park, their location in the text at the bottom of the window says 'Atlas Park 33'. A very nice and subtle touch.

On PI (IIRC) and turned in a mish that spawns an ambush. Was supposed to be level 46 council, it was 46 level 1 council. The whole damn army was charging up the hill at my lvl 48 blapper... Didn't realize how far power push could knock a low level mob until then.

The second is seeing Jack on his throne.  I had a screen shot of it that I was using as my desktop wallpaper for a while.  Unfortunately that PC died a fast painful death. and the data was unrecoverable.

Didn't realize how far power push could knock a low level mob until then.

You'd never played Hellion Golf? You took Power Push, slotted a level 50 knockback IO into it, then went to Atlas Park and tried to hit various 'targets' on the other side of the zone by using Power Push on level 1-3 Hellions; you needed to have a teammate in the target area so they could see the incoming bodies.

Seeing people who in the first year of the game, where level 50. Back then it actually meant something. It meant that player, had worked hard, been to every zone and done tons of missions. There was an amount of respect and "awe" seeing a level 50 Hero. Once people where able to power level and hit 50 in a matter of a few hours, it really changed for the worse IMO. People who barely knew how to play their class where 50, and were just terrible players.

Dr. Demoriel - Protector Server

Being a part of the first fire/rad superteam(s). I was relatively new but even the veterans marvelled on how powerful it was. To this day I wonder how many you would need to defeat Hami, because little else was a challenge.