What is your most fondest or favorite memory of COH?

My fondest memory is back when places like Hollows were actually Hazard Zones, mobs were packed tighter together, there were more of them and they were higher level. Now, the Hollows is nothing more than a little playground, even has an unnecessary contact in it that you HAVE to pick up in order to progress through David Wincott's story arc to move on to Flux. Complete nonsense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solarverse said:

My fondest memory is back when places like Hollows were actually Hazard Zones, mobs were packed tighter together, there were more of them and they were higher level. Now, the Hollows is nothing more than a little playground, even has an unnecessary contact in it that you HAVE to pick up in order to progress through David Wincott's story arc to move on to Flux. Complete nonsense.

Both ways. Uphill.  In the snow.  Real snowmen attacking you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Erasing every toon on World Of Snorecraft and Walking into Atlas Park Again. I had heard the game was back over a year ago but I did not believe it. I want to thank everyone who helped make that happen! Dumping Snorecraft and 30 minutes later standing in Atlas Park was really a moment.

My favorite moment from back on live was getting to level 6 on my first character and picking up hover, and lifting off into the air to float around in the sky. Flight was and still is my favorite travel power. Just being able to fly is awesome.

And from HC, logging in for the first time and seeing Atlas Park again.

1 hour ago, WumpusRat said:

And from HC, logging in for the first time and seeing Atlas Park again.

That was why I couldn't take Paragon Chat for more than a few minutes at a time; it had all the structure of the game, but it was dead; none of the life that the NPCs brought to the zones. It felt like the poorly-reanimated corpse of the game.

Sadly my fondest memory was the shutdown.  Let me explain.

I started playing right out of Beta, I wasn't a Beta person but started playing days after it went live.  I had tons of fun and have hundreds of great memories, most of which were with the Babes of War on Freedom server.  I made many friends in game and had thousands of laughs.  Glorious fights against evil and silly moments doing pool parties in Steel Canyon.  Friendship and fun was what defined things.

But about six or seven months before the shutdown, shit got real ugly in the SG and certain people's negative personalities and general hatefulness began to erode things.  This caused some to stop playing on Babe teams or avoid those that were the troublemakers or just outright left.  I was a senior leader at the time and myself was unable to fix it, and to a degree I was part of the problem.  More and more the senior leadership was openly tearing each other and thus the group apart.  And I stopped having fun so I stepped down, and it hurt because I was leaving several good Babes at the mercy of the one truly toxic Babe.  My play time decreased and even though I stayed in contact with the ones that were my friends that were still in the Babes, that began to stop too as my bitterness would infect them.

Then the announcement of the shutdown and the fondest memory.

I and others who had left were re-invited to the SG as we all congregated in Atlas Park.  We digitally hugged it out and buried hatchets and even if some of the words said weren't fully sincere or even forgiven we all chose to go out as friends, thinking about the good times we had rather than the bad times.  Just writing this now makes a knot form in my throat.  Its just a game yet it really did impact me; then and now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I won a costume contest in Atlas Park once! I was probably about 14 years old at the time, and I remember being so excited I actually got stage fright while accepting my prize, and wound up not even saying anything at all. To whoever organized that costume contest and gave a prize to "Sniper Elf" over a decade ago, know that you made my day XD

Edited by versidue
  • Thumbs Up 1

The night of the accidental cojones in RP posts. I was in a serious IC discussion about something else and one of my friends let that slip in a typo and I swear I was laughing myself into tears poking at him about it. I'll never forget that hilarious slip up.

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

1 hour ago, JasperStone said:

CoH was my first MMO.

Mine too! I was begrudgingly dragged into The City from my cozy offline-single player games under the assurances that I would have a great time.

Dammit but if they weren't right and here I am still enjoying every minute I'm here.

Favorite memories?

My first 50. (Dark/Regen scrapper). 

Sewer runs.

Having an SG that would show up to do Shard stuff over multiple days/times on the weekend. The many TF/story arc marathons or anything else we decided to run. 

My first 50 Villain.

My first 50 EAT.

Pool parties in Ouro and at Spanky's.

The huge gatherings in the 'Egg Hunter' lounge where the Devs turned us all into multiple baddies. 

The first Respec Trials, back before modern side-kicking and mentoring, were an absolute excrement exhibition.

It almost felt like an actual achievement when you'd finally succeed on a PUG.

So many times lying defeated, watching suicidal Raiders/Freaks/Rikti destroy the Reactor Core

knowing there's nothing anyone can do in time to save the day...

I miss those days.

What, me worry?

i have a couple ill never forget. the 1st, meeting a couple sg mates IRL, met up in Vegas, good times.

another was we were doing the 1st repec trial, i was running a spines/regen at the time, we got into the 1st big room with all the freak tanks the whole team wiped except for me, i kept hitting insp and temp powers i killed 6 of the 8 tanks while the rest of the team was heading back from the hospital. funny part is 2 sg mates stayed and watched me do all this instead of hosping. blew their minds lol. this was after the i2 regen nerf and no one had any of them fancy set IOs. sigh, i miss them days. wish i could find them again.

Edited by echoside29

On 9/11/2023 at 1:00 PM, JasperStone said:

CoH was my first MMO.

Nothing beats that first day I logged in on Live ...

People floating and flying around.

Characters zooming by with Super Speed.

That music ..Atlas Park ...

Happiness

This.  My first MMO as a home.  Players talked to you with dignity and respect (yes there were jerks too).  Teaming effortlessly.  

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

With my earlier post said, the very first time Freedom server took down the Hamidon was glorious.  No leagues back then either.

First Hamidon Victory 10.jpg

The Alpha Wipe During the Raid 🙂

Hamidon - Post Alpha.jpg

Edited by High_Beam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

My favorite moment was when I and a bunch of Protector people worked together for an entire Saturday to arrange the perfect moment.  Several teams were on standby to summon Babbage, several players had played through the World Wide Red arc and had finished the Defeat All Wildflower Agents mission.  All we needed was the stage...

Then somebody found it.  A Steel Canyon fire that JUST started.  Everybody used their base teleporters, Pocket D teleporters, and any other way they could force the game to keep from spawning the Giant Monsters as normal, all so we could converge on Steel Canyon, frantically shout in Broadcast for the location of the building fire and make our way there in the hope that our giant monsters wouldn't catch the wrong end of a police drone.

Why?  Because one player wondered if the Backdraft would kill them the same way it kills us.

On top of that, we also experimented to see if we could get these two giant monsters to fight each other.  We had six Babbages, I think two Kronoses, all battling on the rooftop of a burning building.  Yes, it turns out that once you get them to aggro each other, the Kronos Titan and Babbage WILL fight each other.  Also, when the Steel Canyon Fire event ends, the Backdraft obliterates the giant monsters, too.  The hilarity occurs when you learn the Backdraft has enough damage output, it could kill Hamidon.  It turns out the Hellions actually know how to make a damn good fire!

It was great seeing so many disparate people come together to set this up.  It was like watching a dominos arrangement being knocked down.  It's moments like this that make me feel that all the talk about "optimum build" and "maximum dps" really makes people forget to have fun with a game.

• Like 1

You can be a good man, the best man in the world...  But there will always be somebody who hates a good man.