What is your most fondest or favorite memory of COH?

My fondest memory is of the Protector Server Raids, where a bunch of the Protectorites would create a bunch of themed characters on the server being "raided' and cause general confusion. One of them we built a bunch of mimes. After a few "raids" several of the other servers raided Protector with Hami themed characters so everyone were bubblers. Even the devs got involved on that one and started dropping multiple monsters on the hill by the Talos rail. An absolutely complete blast.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Sheesh, so many! I remember the first time making a friend... then two more... then joining a supergroup! I remember I used to set up online hangouts for some of the forum community where a few of the Devs would occasionally stop in. I still have my coffee mug signed by CuppaJo, and the Arachnos cape I won in a contest. But probably my strongest memory was being the ringbearer at an in-game wedding between a newlywed couple in my supergroup. A lot of the SG members spent a lot of time together online, and it was a great group that did feel like a family at time. Like so many other people here, I've never found a game - or, specifically, a community - that's been anything like this one.

We had a small group of people my ex and I played with in COH...the fun times we had....the game was a joy to play having two chars up to 50 in both H and V...it was a shame NCSuck had to bend to a little pressure from Marvel comics and bring it all down.

The Original Hangover since the early 90's...this asks for your birth date...WHAT you NEED a birth date? I don't know mine..forgot it, gave mine away years ago um No thanks...do not need a new one.

In 2009 when we were all celebrating a new zone opening (Cimerora), a whole bunch of us were there, including BaBs. He turned himself into a bush. Someone called him a 'shrubbery' and proceeded to whip out a sword and tell him he was due for a trim.....he yelled, "NOOOOOO", jumped up, and planted himself on Marcus Valerius's head. It still makes me laugh.

SDynnu2.jpg?1

lumKlIw.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

Uhhh that is not why the game closed - the Marvel lawsuit was in 2004 and resolved in 2005 and was a distant memory when the game closed on November 30, 2012.

We had a small group of people my ex and I played with in COH...the fun times we had....the game was a joy to play having two chars up to 50 in both H and V...it was a shame NCSuck had to bend to a little pressure from Marvel comics and bring it all down.

while I have many wonderful memories including a few RL lovers I first met in game the most epic in game memory for me involves the first 50 that really made me feel like Id made feel like Id reached some pinnacle of character building.

It wasnt long after Willpower had come out, and me being the contrary guy I am decided to finally try a classic regen, partly because at the time with RP new and fresh everyone was saying how obsolete and gimp regen was compared to WP.

So over the course of a month Id steadily climbed the lvls. he was just a generic broad sword regen scrapper with the name Adam Pierson and bio drawing heavily from Methos from the old highlander TV show. Id made him for mostly kicks but found myself reveling in his power. It was amazing how just something as simple as Parry gave enough defense to give regen breathing room against so many foe types.

So anyways I was in a group and we had been knocking out RWZ missions for what must of been a couple hours. It had been smooth as silk going. Still recall our group leaders name Miss France. this was on Virtue FYI.  We get a mission and go in. one of those rikti base or old lab maps, lots of Nemesis.

Things seemed to still be easy. had a tank, 2 other scrappers, tank and one scrap dual blade will powers, other scrap a claw regen. Miss France was a defender think empathy, and we had a bubler, might of been a troller. def had an illusion pet user. cant say more then that after all these years.

So we are about 3 floors into this lab/base and knocking nemmys down left and right. When we open a door. Its to one of them large square rooms. Big square platform in the center up ramps. walls ringed in 2 levels of cat walks. catwalks are just crammed with groups, every one with a sniper unit.

So the tank and we scrappers charge in as we have been no fear. buffs and heals have been flowing freely all night after all. But then things go sideways real fast. Tank falls. As aggro goes wild snipers firing down on everyone, soon everyone but 1 is dead. That one is my hacking and parrying scrapper. I recall not even really thinking anything except kill one more, just one more. At some point I notice there is a conversation in team caht. the tank and other scrappers who all hit the medi port the moment our empath fell were asking why the rest of us hadnt left the mission. Miss France said it was because she thought my guy Adam might win.

Well my fellow scrappers and the tank all got abit flabbergasted. Even those in the room with me kind of couldnt believe it. Even I when I was done and rezzing our empath so she could rez the others still in mish seemed abit confused. after all the whole time before I had never stood out. I was a single target focussedbuild in general the masses of mobs died mostly to other hands. But when SHTF it was good old regen that held. And not unlike wolverine in the comics, if we had destructable clothing my toon likely would of been clad in nothing but red by the end of that fight.

It wasnt long before I bought a name change and came up with a good lore based RP concept for that character. He was the first one that just could do all the crazy things like solo an AV, or run a manticore TF and defeat a half dozen paragon protectors while down leveled at the same time.

Reading these has me laughing and crying. Reminding me of soo many good memories.

I think the highlight was my best friend and I were in a team doing Tera Volta. He was a Katana/Regen and I was a Claws/SR. Right before the last room, everyone else had to bow out for the night. MY buddy and I talked it over a bit and decided, why not, lets give it a shot.

Que one of the most intense fights we have EVER had. Over an hour of non-stop fighting. back and forth, flying right on the edge combat. I rarely had over 10% HP, unless I ate a freshly dropped insp. Tag teaming when we had to get new radbubbles. using every trick we knew, KBing into pillars, pathing glitches, Agroswapping, you name it. When it was all over, the core had like 5% health left, we had used every repair belt there was, and our wrists were KILLING us from the non-stop button mashing.

We had never heard of anyone finishing the Respec mission with only 2 characters before, and everyone told us it was impossible. After that, we made a point of trying to do every single "imposible" thing we could find. Solo or Duoing AVs, beating timed missions underleveled. You name it.

One of my best memories is from the test server, where I learned that sometimes even the bugs can be awesome. I'd copied my Katana/Regen Scrapper to the test server when they were testing IOs, and I got a "Touch of Lady Grey: Chance for Negative Energy Damage" recipe. Because of the limited space in the label, it showed up as "Touch of Lady Grey: Chance for Negative"... and I found out that it was correct -- when the proc went off, it did a negative amount of damage to my target, healing it. I thought this was hilarious and kept it in my build, even though it made fights a little harder. Then the devs fixed that bug... and replaced it with a new one. Now, the IO should have been named "Touch of Lady Grey: Chance to One-Shot" -- when the proc went off, it did an absurd amount of damage, taking your target down instantly. I was curious as to how far this went, and hied myself off to Crey's Folly, where I found Jurassik... and literally one-shotted him -- led off with the attack that had the proc in it, and did something like (working from memory here) 6.043 E+13 points of damage. I was also impressed to see that CoH seamlessly rolled over into scientific notation when necessary, instead of just having an endless string of zeroes.

I found out later that, even doing that much damage, I was nowhere near the record for having the broken proc kick off for enough damage that it should leave a crater. Good times.

I have many probably too many to list.

• "I can fly!"

Busting into the villains’ volcano lair to stop their evil plot. That’s what being a superhero is about!

Robbing a bank with my Robotics/Dark MM and a Necro/Dark MM. Sister Psyche was the hero who showed up to stop us. She couldn’t really hurt our minions or protect herself against us. It was an epic beatdown.

The sheer chaos of unleashing two Phantom Armies in Oranbega.

The first time my Stalker scored a crit with an Assassin’s Strike against a Boss (maybe a Fortunata). I damn near one-shotted her.

Busting into the villains’ volcano lair to stop their evil plot. That’s what being a superhero is about!

Turning the Terra Volta Trial into a cakewalk by putting bubbles around the reactor.

“While I’m in Atlas I’ll just…  Rikti invasion wtf?!

Costume contests. I’m usually impressed by (although jealous of) the creativity and humor on display. And to go with the fact that I don’t remember seeing any two characters anywhere who looked the same outside of VEATs.

Footstomp screamed “super” and using it never gets old.

Handing the biggest villain in the game his own helmet from the future and saying “Here’s proof of what will happen if you screw with me.”

The mission where I set up explosives to destroy that #&$!!@ layer-cake cave.

Stopping to play on the ice slides in Frostfire… and nobody complaining about “wasted time” because everybody else wanted to do it too.

Cape Radio dance parties. Welcome back DJs!

The Taxibots. If not for them I would have rage-quit the game because navigating the Hollows was so frustrating. For people to spend their free time standing around until another player needed their help... that’s what we mean when we praise the game’s community. I will buy any of them a beverage of their choice if I meet them irl.

My favorite memory isn’t actually of me playing the game, but rather my friend who introduced me to it.  I went over to his house to hang out and he was playing a game on the computer.  He was playing a villain in sirens call. A huge group of villains had managed to push an equally large group of heroes to their spawn point.  The heroes rallied and pushed down that alley way back to the point where everyone used to duel several times. But the villains always succeeded in pushing the heroes back to spawn. I watched for probably an hour before I asked, “What game is that?!”

I got hooked soon after.

The other vivid memory I have is running around recluses victory with a fairly large group of villains (maybe around 10). I saw a lonely hero a ways off.  We weren’t in the mood to take any prisoners and had no qualms of fighting an uneven fight. It was a massacre. This scrapper tore us to pieces. I hadn’t seen anything like it before. We got mad and kept going to try to kill him and he kept murdering us over and over. We messaged friends to come and help and he just killed everyone every time. He seemed to kill multiple people at once and his health just kept going back up. That was my first experience with a spines Regen scrapper.

I have so many good memories... and I hope to make a lot more....

I remember the first time I hit 50 on anything... it was my first character too, Crimson Samurai, a Katana/Regen scrapper.  My roommates and I were so focused on getting me to 50 finally, I barely remember 46, 47, 48, and 49... Then when I finally hit 50, no one even noticed, not even me.. not until we all finished, and I didn't get anything for Mission complete XP... We all started died laughing.

I remember actually getting the MoSTF badge on my human-only Warshade, Umbral Samurai.  Getting MoSTF was hard enough, but getting a human-only 'shade?  You know, who're even squishier than blasters?  I did it... I was so proud of myself for that... I wore that badge until the day the servers closed... I'd get tells from people asking me how I managed it, and in true hero fashion, I'd just say "Just lucky, I guess?".

I remember all the parties in Pocket D... The winter events (when they worked right, or even when they didn't...).  I remember the day ED was released, and I went from being super regen to squish overnight, but we all got through it...

I'm so happy we're back... It's been a long time coming... and it's about time.

• 4 years later

COH/COV is the first game that my son (8 at the time) and I played together...we played together, off and on, for several years.

He was really great at creating costumes and won several contests.

We played a few games together after the shutdown, but it just wasn't the same...

Anywho...playing the game again now is a constant reminder of that time we spent together and I cherish every session...

• Thumbs Up 1

watching yet another PUG Posi 1 team blissfully wander up to the City Hall doors and unknowingly trigger the ambush.  And me chomping inspirations and somehow surviving the madness....again.

"Why are you fond of that?" you may ask.  EMBRACE THE MADNESS I say!

Edited by Snarky
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Going to my buddy Dave’s home during Beta play and having him introduce me to CoH. I created a toon and hearing the fan fair music for the first time ever was incredible. 

My buddy passed away just before HC launched. He would have loved the fact the game is public again. 

The funniest memory I have was the first time I entered Crey’s Folly and punched Rikti Monkey. To my surprise, due to not having limitations in KB, he flew half way across the map. Everyone on my team blew up with laughter. 

The biggest “awe” moment was the first time I saw a Tank aggro the entire map in the Woodsman Trial. Watching the Tank run into one of the Volcano pits and the XP and INF numbers just tick off as every baddie on the map follows to their doom.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

watching yet another PUG Posi 1 team blissfully wander up to the City Hall doors and unknowingly trigger the ambush.  And me chomping inspirations and somehow surviving the madness....again.

I still remember going up to the 'back door' of City Hall during a Posi 1 run back on Live and trying to click on it, in the vain hope that, either because of a bug, or a deliberate decision by the devs, the same ability to 'go in the back way' to City Hall would work during the TF. It never did, but there would be enormous hilarity if it had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

I still remember going up to the 'back door' of City Hall during a Posi 1 run back on Live and trying to click on it, in the vain hope that, either because of a bug, or a deliberate decision by the devs, the same ability to 'go in the back way' to City Hall would work during the TF. It never did, but there would be enormous hilarity if it had.

We are lucky it does not trigger ambush train….