The Elephant In the Room : Enhancement Converters

Karthunk

Something needs to be done about enhancement converters changing uncommon enhancements into rare enhancements. As it currently stands there are some popular "rare", not sure how they can be called rare anymore, enhancements are selling for cheaper than it cost to make from the recipe. Why, you might ask? Well it's far cheaper to make an uncommon of a set and spend two enhancement converters to change it to a rare.

Please fix this! I want a game with a healthy market, as it currently stands people are going to get bored fast when they can fully outfit a hero/villan with little effort in rares.

From Guides\How to Make Millions on the Market in Minutes, regarding the usage of converters for exactly this.

I don’t know whether this state of affairs will last, or whether the devs will eventually get around to nerfing it somehow..

Just my personal opinion, not the official stance of the team: I think it's unlikely we'll make any changes to the way this works. It's all designed to keep prices down for everyone whilst also allowing drops at any level to have some value.

Please fix this! I want a game with a healthy market, as it currently stands people are going to get bored fast when they can fully outfit a hero/villan with little effort in rares.

Nothing to fix, IMO, seems great, no need to be at the mercy of the market to acquire what I need.

Makes me want to trick-out more charactres, not become bored.

A friend and I play nearly as hardcore as we used to and I am happy to have to spend so much time building great heroes.

What jubakumbi said × 1000. So nice that it takes less time to deck out alts, time I can spend actually playing the alts instead of farming and marketing trying to fund their build.

Edit. - initially said I agree with op from reading the post directly under my reply, when I meant jubakumbi.

Right. No more 2 billion Inf PVP recipes. No more people deciding to corner the market on Luck Charms and force players to pay hundreds of thousands of Inf for them. Everything is a lot more affordable to everyone, which means less frustration all around.

(Plus, it's remarkably easy to make money by converting. See the guide that GM quote above is pulled from, which I wrote... :) )

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

I'm fine with it as well. Basically the market just has a lot of stuff in it so the price for an IO'd build comes down substantially.

To be honest the only downside I can see is that you can't frankenslot with level 30s on the cheap anymore but since you can just buy attuned IOs relatively cheaply instead I don't consider it a major issue.

Defender Smash!

No need to nerf anything like this, people play COH out of passion and love for the game, creating a build and empowering it is almost more an exercise in creativity rather than WOW/MMO style endless grind that gets invalidated every patch. This game even more so than before is unique stop trying to make it more like the other trash on the market.

Right. No more 2 billion Inf PVP recipes. No more people deciding to corner the market on Luck Charms and force players to pay hundreds of thousands of Inf for them. Everything is a lot more affordable to everyone, which means less frustration all around.

(Plus, it's remarkably easy to make money by converting. See the guide that GM quote above is pulled from, which I wrote... :) )

See, when I see people wanting a healthier market, I always tend to think this is what they want...a market contolled by the big influnce marketeers, forcing us to go uphill both ways to get the goods.

I shudder at these kinds of things, because like another poster states, I play the game to be a (super)hero, not to be a money manager and the current state makes it enjoyable - I have to take the time to get/make the IOs, but I don't have to take time out of playing just to earn the stuff to do it, it happens while I play normally.

Having to play two games - the market and the Go Hunt Kil Skuls - is not my thing.

My best-man, back in the day, hit the 2B mark in a couple weeks after starting, because he loves numbers, so i get that the market is another game.

See, when I see people wanting a healthier market, I always tend to think this is what they want...a market contolled by the big influnce marketeers, forcing us to go uphill both ways to get the goods.

I shudder at these kinds of things, because like another poster states, I play the game to be a (super)hero, not to be a money manager and the current state makes it enjoyable - I have to take the time to get/make the IOs, but I don't have to take time out of playing just to earn the stuff to do it, it happens while I play normally.

Having to play two games - the market and the Go Hunt Kil Skuls - is not my thing.

My best-man, back in the day, hit the 2B mark in a couple weeks after starting, because he loves numbers, so i get that the market is another game.

Pretty much this, someones "game" consists of locking down the market and being able to freeze everyone else out and demand outlandish prices. The devs did good work nipping this in the bud when they capped salvage, now they are mad that they cant lock down specific enhancements due to converters allowing side access.

Converters, salvage bucketing and less ridiculous merit prices effectively kill "Market PvP" dead... and that's a *good thing* for most of the player base. You know, those of us who want to play City of Heroes instead of City of Marketeering.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Nothing to fix, IMO, seems great, no need to be at the mercy of the market to acquire what I need.

Makes me want to trick-out more charactres, not become bored.

A friend and I play nearly as hardcore as we used to and I am happy to have to spend so much time building great heroes.

^ This 100%

Something needs to be done about enhancement converters changing uncommon enhancements into rare enhancements. As it currently stands there are some popular "rare", not sure how they can be called rare anymore, enhancements are selling for cheaper than it cost to make from the recipe. Why, you might ask? Well it's far cheaper to make an uncommon of a set and spend two enhancement converters to change it to a rare.

This is a terrible suggestion. If you don't want it to be easy, then set up some sort of artificial restrictions on yourself instead of asking for it to be forced on everyone else.

Converters, salvage bucketing and less ridiculous merit prices effectively kill "Market PvP" dead... and that's a *good thing* for most of the player base. You know, those of us who want to play City of Heroes instead of City of Marketeering.

It didn't kill it at all, it just changed it. You can still easily make billions of inf marketeering, although the nature of how you make that inf has changed. Crafting is no longer profitable (for most items, there are some exceptions) but crafting and converting is still very profitable. Flipping is also still profitable on at least some items.

Honestly the main change is that the relative scale has changed. Prices are, roughly speaking, about 10% of what they were on live so while the profit margin is still there for those who want it the overall prices are more affordable for people who don't want to market.

Defender Smash!

It didn't kill it at all, it just changed it. You can still easily make billions of inf marketeering, although the nature of how you make that inf has changed. Crafting is no longer profitable (for most items, there are some exceptions) but crafting and converting is still very profitable. Flipping is also still profitable on at least some items.

Honestly the main change is that the relative scale has changed. Prices are, roughly speaking, about 10% of what they were on live so while the profit margin is still there for those who want it the overall prices are more affordable for people who don't want to market.

Basic marketeering isn't what falls under "Market PvP" and you know it.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

This is a terrible suggestion. If you don't want it to be easy, then set up some sort of artificial restrictions on yourself instead of asking for it to be forced on everyone else.

He doesnt want it easy, he wants to Dr Doom the market

Basic marketeering isn't what falls under "Market PvP" and you know it.

Actually I don't, I would consider any form of buying items with the specific intent of reselling them to be a form of Market PvP. What definition do you use?

Defender Smash!

He doesnt want it easy, he wants to Dr Doom the market

Not sure what you mean by Dr. Doom the market. I never said that I want 1bil infamy enhancements or for the market to get where people can corner it, but a popular rare enhancement should be at least profitable to make from a recipe.

... a popular rare enhancement should be at least profitable to make from a recipe.

Why?

Not trying to be snarky, really!

Why 'must' something popular also be profitable?

Then what is the point in having rare recipe drops?

Then what is the point in having rare recipe drops?

Maybe you want to craft it for yourself. (If you don't plan to Attune it, in which case it would be cheaper to buy it pre-crafted through the market from the Attuned category, at least.)

Anyway, why does everything have to have a point?

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!