I have an issue with Scrappers, does anyone else?

FUBARczar

Not true from my experience and not from the power description

Scrapper AAO  +300% taunt on target

Brute AAO  +400% taunt on target

Oh, see, I never actually looked at the power description, I just always thought enemies really don't like AAO.  So they stand in range of it so you can use it to kill them faster....which makes no sense but mobs are dumber than a sack of bricks anyway.

But don't Brutes also have an actual taunt effect in their auras, while Scrappers don't?  So Brute AAO should beat Scrapper AAO.

Not true from my experience and not from the power description

Scrapper AAO  +300% taunt on target

Brute AAO  +400% taunt on target

Brute is stronger, but scrappers do have a taunt aura in AAO.  I definitely notice it.  I play a dark armor scrapper and things are running away from me all the time despite the damage aura.  Very annoying.  Playing a shield (or WP, scrapper WP also has one as well as a couple of other sets), and things rarely run away from my scrapper.

Things aren't running away despite the damage aura, they are running away because of it.

Things aren't running away despite the damage aura, they are running away because of it.

This. Death Shroud for Brutes and Tankers has taunt. Death Shroud for scrappers and Stalkers does not.

Yeah, I know, was kind of my point.

Difference between dark armor and shield is noticeable for dark armor's lack of taunt aura.

Gotten to the point I really can't stand playing any of the scrapper armor sets that don't have one.

Strangely I found that I'm the opposite: I can't stop rolling Brutes.  I don't know why this is as I was always a Scrapper guy, I'd have to combine all of my other ATs to equal the number of Scrappers I played.  My new Brute habit may be due to that extra bit of toughness and threat generation so I can tank in emergencies.  Also Brutes have a high-risk/high-reward mechanic which interests me.

There are times when I don't feel like chasing Fury though,  I may rectify this as my Spines/Bio Brute could easily be a Scrapper although that means I'd have to fight the Skulls again.  I'll probably reroll another as Electric/Electric to avoid the SS nerf.  I've never seen an Electric/Electric guide for Scrappers so I will probably start a thread for it.

• 2 weeks later

and then somebody invites an actual tank and there goes the Brutes' damage output.  Meanwhile, the Scrappers just keep on killing.

Brute:  "Oh shit, there goes my Fury."

Scrapper:  "Look at THAT clump of bad guys!"

for me it goes more like this.

<Tanker joins team>

<brute still has agro from all my aoe damage>

Tanker "wow you're a beast"

This is why a lot of tankers keep saying they need buffs.  the AOE brutes do their job pretty much on par and better than them in most content.  Scrappers deal more but generate less agro, tankers will hold the bosses atteention and a couple more but the brute has everything else and they like it.  If you are playing a single target set you are better off with scrapper, if you are playing an aoe set and wanna feel like Atlas or Heracles (Hercules in roman Heracles in Greek) brute.  If you wanna feel like a food processor on legs scrapper.  If you want that big guys attention undivided tanker.  Of course this all assumes equal skill.  The brute has to break a little earlier from this mob to take the alpha of the next mob while the tanker holds down the last few enemies of the current pack.  Also if u time your taunts right you can take most stuff off the tanker if u want it.  each AT fits in surprisingly well with as many ATs and power-sets as there are.  I am still trying to figure out how the sentinels fit into all this.  Right now they seem fun but a little under-powered on teams.  More geared to a solo toon.

Brutes are over popular, scrappers are allot more fun due to crits to me.

Preach it. Back in the day, I used to see posts saying the Scrapper inherent was bad because it couldn't be planned for or strategized around.  But to me it's always been a fun surprise when CRITICAL pops up.  People also complained that crits are "wasted" on foes with little life remaining (strangely, I don't remember anyone saying that about Scourge), but that's just an opportunity to shout "Boo yah!  How do you like THAT?!?" at the monitor.

I actually feel that way about scourge.  On most foes it doesn't seem to trigger until it'd be dead anyway and it does feel wasted to me. Elite bosses and Archvillians being the exception of course, on those it is wonderful.  I do like crits more than scourge myself.

IIRC, Scourge chances kicks in when the foe is at 50% of hit points or less, so yes, it is more likely to pop up when the foe is near death because you're killing him harder!  Sometimes it would have been enough anyway, other times you just shaved some seconds off the battle, which allows steamrolling and to rob that foe of taking another shot at you or someone else on your team.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

But don't Brutes also have an actual taunt effect in their auras, while Scrappers don't?  So Brute AAO should beat Scrapper AAO.

Correct. Good luck to a scrapper thinking they can pull a credible amount of aggro from my Spines/elec brute.

But I don't want my scrapper to pull aggro from your brute or a tank. I want you to hold the boss/av's attention while I quickly kill it.

Kill the mob fast enough and there wont be anything to Taunt. Problem solved.

This is the issue I've created with my current Scrapper project. Jump into mob, melt mob, jump into next mob, Tank watches absent-minded wondering when to Taunt, never gets chance. I've even teamed with a few Tanks who only bothered to toggle-up and Taunt when a room had more than 20 immediate targets in it, just to catch the overflow of aggro that I would've hit cap for. After the room was clear, they'd back down again. It wasn't to "let me tank" but simply because of the speed I travel at, there's really just not enough time for it to matter for them, and then I'm off into the next mob, and I definitely don't need saving from the Alpha at capped for most (and near capped for the rest) resists, along with Soft Cap Melee, S/L defenses.

I tend to feel like Riddick. "There's only one pace, mine. You wanna tag along, then keep up, cause I'm not coming back for you."

I have a 50/115 Claws/SR brute on Torch. I have a 50/45 Claws/SR scrapper on Excel.

Yes, they are the same character.

My brute doesn't worry about survival The extra HP and higher damres caps backed by barrier and the better performing scaling resists from the passives, along with access to superior conditioning instead of conserve power, just make him an absolute beast.

My scrapper, on the other hand, is currently dishing out just over 50% more DPS against pylons. Squishier against the +4/x8 spawns of the world, yes, but he's also killing them faster, so it's kind of a wash. To be fair to the brute, I haven't gone back and fixed his incarnate T4 choices based on what I've learned lately but regardless of what I do there, the AT IO buffs are certainly geared heavily in the scrapper's favor.

While I love 'em both, the brute is still more fun for me since his taunt aura means less chasing enemies around. More time is spent just killin.

And killin that bad guys is the joy of the game for me.