A Tanker's Rant !!!

smnolimits41

Where to begin ???  I've been playing my Fire/Fire Tank again.  The Canadian Torch !!!  I got through most of the TFs today.  Until i hit the Manticore TF.  I'm not sure, what it was, but after the first mission, i didn't want to be there anymore.  I stayed though, once i start something, i like to finish it.  There was nothing wrong with the team.  First off, i kept getting blinded.  I've never noticed this before, on any of my other toons.  Is this new ???  Anyone else getting blinded ??  Secondly, i hate tough, and weave, i already eat through my endurance as if it were candy.  I think of my tank as a scranker, he's just not meant to be the main tank.  I know, everything changes when you get IO'd out and you get your incarnates.  Maybe i need to re-think the toon, maybe i should pick some new sets.  But I'm level 42 now, and i was hoping to hit 50.  Make this my first 50 Tank.  The other night, i was on a Synpase TF and a guy said i was being lazy, and i felt like he was being rather nasty.  I won't post the word i'm thinking of.  I felt the urge to kick him, but i didn't want to lose anyone, especially when we were early on in the TF.  He was right, I was being a little lazy, so after that i picked up the pace, and he didn't say another word.  I've had Canadian Torch since the days of Live.  However, i played mostly on Guardian.  It wasn't till almost the end that i started playing on Freedom.  One of the things i love about this game, are teams.  I've tried farming, I just can't do it.  When it comes to influence, i've mostly been working on it, the hard way.  However, my Guild has helped out, a couple of times. Rose's Thorns is great group of people.  When it comes down to it, i just want to make builds that focuses on SO's.  Alright, i think i'm done for now.  Also, did you know that Numina is my least favourite TF.  Most people want to speed through it, so thats how i run it.  I also remember, when you would get bonus xp, for all the, i can't think of the word.  Its where you have to go zone, to zone and defeat groups of enemies.  Arg, why can't i think of the name ??  Anyways, if you get all the way through this all of text, thanks for listening.

Eat a yellow to counteract being blinded, for the short term. For the long term, take Focused Accuracy or Tactics. If you find end a problem, turn Weave off and just run Tough. Fire Armor is resistance based so you get the most benefit from Tough anyway. In Weave you save up for and slot the special defense recipe(EDIT:Shield Wall Teleportation Protection +Res(All)) that adds +Resistance to all. It's not cheap, but worth it. You don't have to run Weave to get that Resistance bonus.

Edited by KC4800
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Consume will go a long way towards fixing end issues - you can also get physical perfection and put performance shifter +end in each power, panacea, miracle, and numina in health.

That in combination with consume will fix your end issues - lastly pick an alpha that has an end component like cardiac, agility, or musculature radial.

Edited by Infinitum

Manti was recently upgraded and the Crey got Paragon Protector "Elites".  They have a wide variety of pain-in-the-ass debuffs.  Rude awakening from the days of steamrolling that TF.  I like the fact that the devs are attempting to steer the game more toward needing a variety of ATs and teamwork.  Having said that, we did Manti on Tanker Tuesday, a few weeks back, and eight tanks had little problem at +2.  +4 would have gotten ugly, however.

• Thumbs Up 2

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

38 minutes ago, PLVRIZR said:

Manti was recently upgraded and the Crey got Paragon Protector "Elites".  They have a wide variety of pain-in-the-ass debuffs.

No joke.

PSA if you're a resist-based tanker:  Pack some orange candy for the Manti and keep an eye out for the Rad Defender variety of PP Elites.

They have THIS evil little thing on them...

image.thumb.png.9487dc9b41a13c732961c1406e66e4d7.png

ETA: This is a toggle, so unlike the unresistable Tar Patches that certain other NPCs also have, you can't run away from this.  But you CAN run away from your fellow Tuesday Tankers, who should thank you for not sharing this with them. 😈

Edited by ZemX

Fire/Fire has always been known to be a massive End hog. This is especially true if you play as a scranker and push damage. You should already have Consume. Go ahead and 6 slot that as soon as you can. Slot for Recharge, Accuracy, and EndMod. That will help a lot. Also, note that one trick that many players miss is that Consume gives you pretty massive End Debuff Res. This means if you are up against Malta, you want to actually open with Consume, then the Sappers have negligible effect on you. It freaking rocks.

Other than Consume, just slot heavier for EndRed in your hungriest attacks until you can afford IOs (or SOs). You are going to have to give up a bit of damage to save that blue bar, but you are a tank, so it's not that big a deal. The rest of your team should be covering you for damage. And 3-Slot Stamina as soon as you can.

My Fire/Fire/Pyre is fully IOed (it was my first 50 way back when Homecoming first dropped, so it's old) and it has no energy problems at all. I can even run Combat Jumping, Sprint, Athletic Run, and Superjump continuously while going full-barrel in combat. I say that not to brag, but to let you know there is hope at the end of the tunnel. Just a few more levels and then start loading up on the good stuff and you will be rolling smooth, eventually.

I wouldn’t sweat it. Fire non  built is like Tanker hard mode. Best suggestion is eat oranges to get that res up and pop a lot of purple on those really rough fight.  Tell the team if they want a quick pace to spare some love and Inspirations it is what it is. It’s not like Live anymore where people are patient for you to herd or use walls to pile them.  I ve learned you go as far as the team let’s you and if they want more then they have to put in to help. You can only carry so much non built.  Also if you start to get frustrated with the team sometimes it’s a good time to take a break better than blowing up.

Someone already stated yellow for blind but I would also like to suggest gettin a bunch of inspirations putting them in the auction to store and pulling them when you need them. That way no matter what you face your always super. Best of luck bud

Edited by Ironscarlet

22 hours ago, ZemX said:

ETA: This is a toggle, so unlike the unresistable Tar Patches that certain other NPCs also have, you can't run away from this. 

The toggle has a range. If you run far enough from the the caster, the toggle will drop.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

8 hours ago, Ironscarlet said:

... I would also like to suggest gettin a bunch of inspirations putting them in the auction to store ...

I would suggest an even better choice is to store them in email. Then you can access them inside the instanced mission. If you store them at the auction, you have to exit the mission to pull them out, and who wants to do that?

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Fire Armor can do the new Manti without even using inspirations, but you do need to slot IOs.

You should not be having endurance problems if you've slotted Consume. It's a full bar of endurance every minute.

Why do you resist buying IOs during leveling anyway? Most can be slotted by level 22/27 and will accompany you to level 50 without needing to be changed. The ATOs at level 10 even.

As for blinds the easiest way is just to slot a Rectified Reticule +perception unique in Build-up. Since two of them give 1.88% S/L defense it is something you'll probably want anyway