What potential fighting venue might be interesting to add?

Techwright

What potential fighting venue, not currently in the game, might make for an interesting fighting venue?

I'll open with: shopping mall.  It could be active or run-down, or deserted. 

I got thinking about this when a coworker was showing me footage of the first-person shooter The Anacrusis.  While I understand this takes place on some massive space ship, the wide open spaces shown in the clip reminded me a little of a multi-story mall, and I realized the potential for instanced combat in CoH.  Even the smaller spaces that the player is darting in and out of resemble spacing for boutique shops and mall restrooms, and would keep things interesting in more compact spaces without the dreaded "blue cave" constant compressed space problem.  I'll set that video at a point where hopefully you can see what I mean:

• Like 2

Underwater, kind of like fighting the seeds of hamidon, but underwater, I think the tech necessary to implement the actual fighting is already there, you just have to suspend belief that people use flight poses underwater...

The fight could start out in an underwater base and then someone does something stupid and pulls out a gun and you know, now you are fighting in the deep sea, guest appearance by Lusca.

• Like 2

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

I wouldn't mind "merging" villain Mayhem missions with hero Safeguard missions. Whenever you enter a mayhem or safeguard, you get to face off with players from the other side of the tracks. I do  a lot of mayhem as part of my routine with all of my red toons. Frankly the heroes that appear are pansies. I've done a few Safeguard missions as I rarely play blue, and I've found them to be boring. Unlike the the mayhem where you're proactively robbing a bank and fighting off those trying to stop you, safeguards are more passive and IMO more of a waiting game. Now, I have no idea how this will work, or the amount of coding it will need, but hopefully, whenever you take a mayhem or safeguard mission, you (and your team) will be put in an instanced PVP map with the odds stacked against you. Not only is the entire map out to get you, but there are now players from the opposite side of the alignment seeking to destroy you as well.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

25 minutes ago, Six-Six said:

I wouldn't mind "merging" villain Mayhem missions with hero Safeguard missions. Whenever you enter a mayhem or safeguard, you get to face off with players from the other side of the tracks. I do  a lot of mayhem as part of my routine with all of my red toons. Frankly the heroes that appear are pansies. I've done a few Safeguard missions as I rarely play blue, and I've found them to be boring. Unlike the the mayhem where you're proactively robbing a bank and fighting off those trying to stop you, safeguards are more passive and IMO more of a waiting game. Now, I have no idea how this will work, or the amount of coding it will need, but hopefully, whenever you take a mayhem or safeguard mission, you (and your team) will be put in an instanced PVP map with the odds stacked against you. Not only is the entire map out to get you, but there are now players from the opposite side of the alignment seeking to destroy you as well.

This might be equally fun even if we couldn't attack the other players but could assist the friendlies and defeat npc foes..

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thunderdome.. with waves of challengers.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

a little yeah.

I'm thinking a big domed cage where, as you're fighting, you can see the next foe(s) waiting to come in. Maybe an announcer and npcs hanging all over the cage..

• Like 1

Sky Raider base in the sky, something like a Helicarrier with multiple nearby supply platforms offering optional objectives .

Inside an electronic device, reduced in size so we're running around on circuit boards, trying to reach a specific capacitor or microchip to destroy it.

The Gamester's gift factory.  Assuming he/she has a factory.  Good opportunity for missions with the same wacky fun feel as the Mapserver event.

A maze with no visible walls.  Enemies can be seen, but figuring out how to reach them, or avoid them...

I would say my brain, but there are enough sewer missions already.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Sky Raider base in the sky, something like a Helicarrier with multiple nearby supply platforms offering optional objectives .

Inside an electronic device, reduced in size so we're running around on circuit boards, trying to reach a specific capacitor or microchip to destroy it.

The Gamester's gift factory.  Assuming he/she has a factory.  Good opportunity for missions with the same wacky fun feel as the Mapserver event.

A maze with no visible walls.  Enemies can be seen, but figuring out how to reach them, or avoid them...

I would say my brain, but there are enough sewer missions already.

Sky Raider Helicarrier sounds intriguing.  I wonder if it could be treated as an event or pseudo-Giant Monster, to appear over Terra Volta some zone currently lacking a bit, like Terra Volta or Kalisti Warf?

I'd really not considered an instance functioning as a shrinking mission, but man, that is good!

I'm game for Gamester's gift factory.

Invisible maze does sound good, so long as its not just an invisible "blue cave", too tight to maneuver well in 3rd person view.  I'd suggest the addition of some additional surprises along the way, like pop-up gun turrets.

I'm not a turtle, I've no desire to go into sewers.

A sports ball stadium where we can play....sports ball.  Whatever sport it happens to emulate,  most likely soccer,  would be fine.  It has the added benefit of placing players into a PvP situation where nobody dies so you can have an opponent where your skill can make you victorious but their skill doesnt make you dead.

22 hours ago, Six-Six said:

OMFG HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT PVP CONTAMINATING OUR MOST HOLY PVE.

NO NO NO NO THE AUDACITY!!!!!

👎🤬🖕

Or something along those lines. 🤣

• Haha 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

22 hours ago, Six-Six said:

As we already have the option to take or ignore a safeguard/mayhem mission, I'd be for this if the PvP version were a 3rd option, not a primary.   If taken though, how do you line up the opposing force?  It's not like they unlock their mission at the same moment?  Perhaps this would actually use the LFG panel, allowing players to queue to be the opposition when a safeguard/mayhem PvP mission is accepted.  Alternatively, create a token or marker of some kind to given to every player on the team that can be surrender to secure a spot on a PVP play later.

We need the kind of place a couple of Jedi would pick for a duel.

You know... A high place. With narrow bridges. With no handrails. With lava or monsters or something down below. Maybe a few environmental hazards like high wind, or exploding rocks, or turrets. Maybe a few grumpy security droids or Sand People. 'That kind of thing.  

• Haha 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

@Techwright, like I said, I don't really know how to pull it off.

One way would be to make the mayhem missions the trigger. So a fine outstanding Rouge Isles resident does his newspaper missions, goes to a bookie and opts to make a withdrawal. Once he enters the map, an event notice similar to fire alarm or troll raid sounds off blue side. then the do-gooders can queue up to preach their self-righteousness. This thereby collapses the safeguard missions into the mayhem where a group of heroes respond to a crime.

I like the idea of the PVP aspect being an option to the existing one.

...just had another thought while typing this... responders or safeguarders can gang up on bank robbers. a full team of 8 can go after a single robbers. or stick to notoriety settings. I'm not sure how the timer works now... if the bank robber can evade the heroes for the set amount of time, he wins. If not, well, no bacon for him. if he dies, instance is ended... no in map jail time (because some blue folk would turn happy camper at the prison).

The radio missions can be re-purposed for something else. But like I said, I'm just winging this as I'm going.

• Thumbs Up 2