Armour

J-sonic

Hello just wondering if it is possible to create a new tanker damage resist powers set using existing sets just renamed then call the set "Armor" to better suit characters in suits of armor or robotic characters and such ? 

The set name doesn't really matter. If you have an invul' character with armor as part of the look, then the armor can be considered the source of the invulnerability. Same with dark, rad, and all the other armors. The set determines the mechanics and visual effects. The character design determines what it is and what its source may be.

25 minutes ago, J-sonic said:

Hello just wondering if it is possible to create a new tanker damage resist powers set using existing sets just renamed then call the set "Armor" to better suit characters in suits of armor or robotic characters and such ? 

So when thinking about powersets in this game, don't think about where the powers come from, but what the resulting effect of those sets are.  For instance, the invulnerability set mainly deals with reducing the amount of damage you take - you'll still get hit pretty often, only you won't take as much damage.  If, instead, you want your armor to be so good that attacks bounce off you harmlessly, then you need to go with a defense-based set, like super reflexes or ice armor, (use the minimal FX option for the latter).  Don't get hung up on the look or name of a particular powerset, and instead focus on what each set has to offer.  Take a look here as a good place to get started.  Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later

I am not new to this game I understand the difference between Damage Resist and Defense, I don't see anything wrong to suggest a new powerset to better suit a type of character, an example of which could be  changing a heal power and call it "Repair" or something similar to suit a character wearing armor, it's just another way to complete the character.  If the Devs look at it and say no then fine, it's only a suggestion, I'm not requiring a blood sacrifice here.

Edited by J-sonic

Why? Just for a name? All powers in the game work for armor just as well as they work for unarmored super beings. If you want a heal power that works on your armored character or your bot character or your golem character or any other character? Take a heal power. You want an armor set that provides high damage resist? Take Invulnerability. So on and so forth. The powers already exist, the sets already exist, and both the powers and the sets they are in don't care if your character is armored or not because they are the power effects, not the character appearance/visuals.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to remove the "y" from "the".

1 hour ago, J-sonic said:

I don't see anything wrong to suggest a new powerset to better suit a type of character, an example of which could be  changing a heal power and call it "Repair" or something similar to suit a character wearing armor,

What is stopping players from building an armor-based character, taking a self heal from an existing powerset or pool, and defining it as a repair function? I've got a Bots/Dark MM whose backstory is having been a Soviet military research project to develop a director for a team of combat robots which accidentally became sentient; I think of Howling Twilight as the ejection of a cloud of nanites that extract energy from its target to power them to reconstruct the entities around him.

On 8/27/2022 at 7:40 PM, J-sonic said:

What would this new set do differently than say invuln? I am all for new set ideas, but give us an example of what you want the set to accomplish other than just changing a couple power names. Each armor set as is brings something slightly different to the table in the way they work outside of simple cosmetics or name changes, so what would this "Armour" set look like on paper?

Edited by Marbing
  • Thumbs Up 1

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)

I'm going to repeat... It's a suggestion to round out a character, that's all it is, all that had to be said was the devs probably have other things in the pipeline and my suggestion is a no or a low priority instead of attacking my suggestion coming at me with spears and pitchforks for my blasphemy.

37 minutes ago, J-sonic said:

I'm going to repeat... It's a suggestion to round out a character, that's all it is, all that had to be said was the devs probably have other things in the pipeline and my suggestion is a no or a low priority instead of attacking my suggestion coming at me with spears and pitchforks for my blasphemy.

You and I must be reading a different thread. People asking "why is this necessary" is not the same as attacking you.

Edited by golstat2003
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, J-sonic said:

No one in this thread was attacking YOU, or "coming at you with spears and pitchforks for your blasphemy."

There's a pinned post in this sub-forum, by a mod, that specifically says that we're allowed to disagree with a suggestion. And so far I haven't really seen anyone attacking your suggestion, mostly people just asking questions about it. Is answering questions too difficult and/or offensive to you?

Oh and, welcome to the Suggestions Forum!  :classic_biggrin:

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Also, attacking a SUGGESTION is *NOT* the same thing as attacking the PERSON.
In a debate you're SUPPOSED to attack the suggestion.
That's the POINT of a debate.

As for the suggestion itself.

Since one's costume is purely cosmetic, and it would require creation of assets which are currently not easily created, I could see it be a problem.

Currently, depending on AT, there's 6-8 low/no-FX armor types already in the game.
Invuln
Radiation
Shield
Super Reflexes
Willpower
Energy Armor
Regen

And you can put armor-type costume pieces on all of them.

Thank you for your suggestion.

• Like 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

4 hours ago, J-sonic said:

Can you please address the points brought up by myself and others in this thread, instead of assuming people are attacking you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, I am not going to reply to any more of this, it's putting me in a depressed state and that's not where I want to be. My ocd has just never gotten over that in my mind my robotic toon is slightly off with the chosen power set so I wanted to suggest something to improve a very small quality of life for me and maybe others like me. I didn't mean to offend any one and I apologise if I have. Hoping you all health and happiness. :-)

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, J-sonic said:

Sorry, I am not going to reply to any more of this, it's putting me in a depressed state and that's not where I want to be. My ocd has just never gotten over that in my mind my robotic toon is slightly off with the chosen power set so I wanted to suggest something to improve a very small quality of life for me and maybe others like me. I didn't mean to offend any one and I apologise if I have. Hoping you all health and happiness. 🙂

This is a pretty civil discussion with reasons provided I don't believe anyone showed intent to attack you. If you took the "use your imagination" advice personal it didn't seem like the intent in the posts just a reason a new armor set is not a good solution.

It seems like you want different names for the powers because you mention using assets already in game to create this new set.

So an alternate suggestion that may meet your desire is to be able to rename the powers. Then regeneration becomes nanite armor repair. Then what the set provides is the only thing that matters

On 8/27/2022 at 8:40 PM, J-sonic said:

I know I'd love a set that's like Shield Defense, but as a Shield Bubble instead of a shield on the arm.  Not only do I like the bubble armor, it'd have both hands free so Kinetic Melee doesn't look so bad and dual wielders could use the set.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 7:50 AM, BrandX said:

I know I'd love a set that's like Shield Defense, but as a Shield Bubble instead of a shield on the arm.  Not only do I like the bubble armor, it'd have both hands free so Kinetic Melee doesn't look so bad and dual wielders could use the set.

I've also said I want  a Shield option that's an orbiting particle shield, like Mega Man with Leaf Shield, or Magneto with chunks of scrap metal. 

On 9/25/2022 at 8:50 AM, BrandX said:

A set of combat auras that are shields would be great for this...