Page 7 Farming Microguide (Maps + Builds)

America's Angel

Re: AFK Brute Spines/Fiery Aura auto-toggle Burn vs Spine Burst

Just to follow-up I switched one of my brutes to auto-toggle Spine Burst instead of Burn. On an AFK mission run on the Shiva asteroid map filled with patrols it reduced the run time by 2-3 minutes between start and completion. I think that was good however I think either option is still effective because it is AFK and it doesn't matter?

May be an old-timer like me might still put Burn on auto and lament the changes to Burn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WyldeMoone said:

Couple questions after looking over the AFK build:
a) What map to use with this
b) I noticed a lot of "odd" power choices, i.e. most of the Fighting Pool, Sorcery, Taunt & other active-type skills that would just sit dormant during an AFK run - all of these are heavy slotted while more applicable powers like Assault, Maneuvers, Fire Shield, Temp Prot, Phys Prot seem underslotted
c) with Quills and Spine Burst specifically, is it worth it / necessary to single slot for essentially all damage types vs additional set bonuses?

You have to change the way you think about choosing a power or slotting. This isn't 'traditionally' how some folk choose powers/slot where you'd put 2-3 DMG IOs in a power, plus one ACC, and possible a recharge/end reduction. You are (mostly) choosing powers for the ability to pick up set bonuses. I'll use the Spines/Fire AFK build from AA as an example, as I believe you are referring to it in this case. You brought up Taunt. The 'Mocking Beratement' set has some nice set bonuses. 3.13% Fire defense and 7.5% recharge time are the big selling point to that set. Another one is Brawl, which no one is ever going to really use, but it allows you to 5 slot a Hecatomb set and get the 10% recharge to all, 15% accuracy, and some end recovery as well. Since the changed everything with ED, in order to get what they took away, you have to use set bonuses to achieve what was taken. That is where these folk who are really good at finding these different ways to achieve this shine. I howled laughing the first time I saw someone slot Brawl to get that set bonus from Hecatomb, as that is brilliant and totally against what I am sure the devs ever thought how Brawl would be used. It is brilliant. 

It is a big shift in thinking from how things are usually done. It takes time to get into that mode, but once you start seeing the brilliance in their work you will appreciate what they do even more.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Digirium said:

Just an NB but those requirements were for an earlier Issue/Page. The objective right now for the current Issue/Page (I27P6) is 60 HP/sec plus, at least according to the self-made AE mission that I use on the Shivan asteroid populated with patrols that ALL attack at the same time. The advice is still the same though for an AFK build increase MaxHP and regeneration as much as possible. Good luck, it was a fun process over many iterations when I figured it out for myself.

'What was old is new again'

A long time ago my first min/max character was a Spines/Regen scrapper who I loved to play. IH as a toggle, set up properly, was incredible. Finding ways to increase you HP was an obsession with us, and we could do some unreal things. I left for the 1st time right before they destroyed Regen as a viable power. They didn't use a nerf bat, they used a nerf tree. I have never seen something nerfed so bad in all of my years playing games. It still makes me sad almost 20 years later. 

Regardless about the death of IH/Regen, I started testing last night with the help of my empath defender, which I have on a separate account, what rate of healing it takes to stay alive if  you aggro the whole map. It is not the easiest thing to test, as the multitudes of variables are interesting, but I am trying to look at it. Changing the defender's rate of applied regen to the brute  via unslotting enhancements in the defenders powers is slow work. Toss in using 'Consume' to boost the HP, and it gets even more interesting.  I'll pass along what I find out.  

5 hours ago, WyldeMoone said:

Couple questions after looking over the AFK build:
a) What map to use with this
b) I noticed a lot of "odd" power choices, i.e. most of the Fighting Pool, Sorcery, Taunt & other active-type skills that would just sit dormant during an AFK run - all of these are heavy slotted while more applicable powers like Assault, Maneuvers, Fire Shield, Temp Prot, Phys Prot seem underslotted
c) with Quills and Spine Burst specifically, is it worth it / necessary to single slot for essentially all damage types vs additional set bonuses?

A)

For 5 min AFK farming use map #51289

For 10 Min AFK farming use map #38973

B)

For the bonuses. The only powers you use are the toggles, Spineburst on auto, and the three click incarnates every time you load in to the map.

C)

Procs do more damage than traditional slotting for this specific build. The fact they provide different types of damage (energy, cold, etc) is just happenstance and was not a factor in putting the build together. If the procs all did smashing damage, I would still 6-slot them in this build. 

• Thanks 1

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

5 hours ago, DarkRevelation said:

You have to change the way you think about choosing a power or slotting. This isn't 'traditionally' how some folk choose powers/slot where you'd put 2-3 DMG IOs in a power, plus one ACC, and possible a recharge/end reduction. You are (mostly) choosing powers for the ability to pick up set bonuses. I'll use the Spines/Fire AFK build from AA as an example, as I believe you are referring to it in this case. You brought up Taunt. The 'Mocking Beratement' set has some nice set bonuses. 3.13% Fire defense and 7.5% recharge time are the big selling point to that set. Another one is Brawl, which no one is ever going to really use, but it allows you to 5 slot a Hecatomb set and get the 10% recharge to all, 15% accuracy, and some end recovery as well. Since the changed everything with ED, in order to get what they took away, you have to use set bonuses to achieve what was taken. That is where these folk who are really good at finding these different ways to achieve this shine. I howled laughing the first time I saw someone slot Brawl to get that set bonus from Hecatomb, as that is brilliant and totally against what I am sure the devs ever thought how Brawl would be used. It is brilliant. 

It is a big shift in thinking from how things are usually done. It takes time to get into that mode, but once you start seeing the brilliance in their work you will appreciate what they do even more.

That's actually a really good point. In some ways my brain was about 1/2way there, as I was thinking maybe it was based more on the types of enhancements allowed for that power, etc. But as I look over more and more builds I'm beginning to see the method in the madness... appreciate the input!

4 hours ago, America's Angel said:

A)

For 5 min AFK farming use map #51289

For 10 Min AFK farming use map #38973

B)

For the bonuses. The only powers you use are the toggles, Spineburst on auto, and the three click incarnates every time you load in to the map.

C)

Procs do more damage than traditional slotting for this specific build. The fact they provide different types of damage (energy, cold, etc) is just happenstance and was not a factor in putting the build together. If the procs all did smashing damage, I would still 6-slot them in this build. 

B) I figured as much, was more academically curious about why those in particular as opposed to other choices

C ) Gotcha. That makes more sense; thx for clarifying 🙂

Now the only thing that makes me sad is the fact that I have to start another build basically from scratch as most of the stuff I already have doesn't transfer over... *sobs quietly*

At least the one I'm using currently has decent survival for running TFs and other random "real world" stuff that occasionally needs doing, so...there's that I guess? *sigh*

Edited by WyldeMoone

Getting back into farming, it's been a while. As I understand it influence was nerfed in AE, anything else? Sorry there's been a lot of patch notes since I last farmed seriously.

Are story missions the place to go for farming influence now? If so, does anyone have a recommendation of a good mission I could build a farmer around?

37 minutes ago, Lightslinger said:

Getting back into farming, it's been a while. As I understand it influence was nerfed in AE, anything else? Sorry there's been a lot of patch notes since I last farmed seriously.

Are story missions the place to go for farming influence now? If so, does anyone have a recommendation of a good mission I could build a farmer around?

If I'm farming inf using my farmer for the Leader badge, I'll use Unai Kamen on the hero side and usually I'll pick up his demon map mission and clear then reset. If you're trying to farm inf just to have more of it, I would strongly suggest not relying on inf earned through farming alone, but also start selling drops and crafting IOs to sell on the Auction House. 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 2/12/2024 at 6:32 PM, Lightslinger said:

Read the first post in this thread and the ones it links to.

What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

Have you considered AFK farming with a Dark/Spines tank?  Seems like the two toggles, and dark regeneration spam, all procced out.. could be effective.  Plus you can throw a cloak of fear in there for more mitigation.

Just wondering if there is any reason I shouldnt consider making this character.

• America's Angel changed the title to Page 7 Farming Microguide (Maps + Builds)

The OP and builds it contains/links to, all still work the same in Page 7.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

• 3 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later
On 8/28/2022 at 8:55 AM, America's Angel said:

the best AFK farmer is an Elec/Rad Tank.

It's been quite some time since I've even thought about farming. The only reason I'm going revisit it is my inability to stomach the same iTrials over and over again for the incarnate bits. It seems I like repeating the lower level stuff more than the higher level stuff. Lord only knows why.
Since we can transfer emp merits (transcendent merits are actually the goal), it makes sense to me to have a character PLing another character while I actively play on my third account. And, then, if all works well, I rotate which account is actively playing, where the account that got PL'd will have enough emp merits to send to the next alt where iTrials will be something I might choose to do or choose not to do, rather then repeat the same heather townsend or iTrial trains ad nauseum. 

My question is simple in form, but likely not so simple in answer: what do you mean by "best". 
Inf and vet level XP correlates, and pretty sure my goals are not aligned with most of the goals of your typical farmer. By best are you referring to inf or xp gain per some metric of time? 
Or are you measuring something else? 

I have an afk rad/fire brute that does fairly well, but something is happening behind the combat log that's not mentioned. Combat attributes that are monitored like fire defense and fire resistance never waver, yet there seems to be some sort of failure. I never know why because I'm afk - (Well, tabbed out is probably more precise). Occasionally, I tab back in and see things are fine. And sometimes, I'll see defeat is imminent. I check the combat logs and there's no explanation as to why. If there's any -defense happening, this isn't shown on my combat log, and my combat attributes don't indicate anything amiss. It doesn't happen often; I can accept it as the cost of doing business. 

Still, I would be interested in seeing this elec/rad tank, as I already have one that's probably never been in AE. Might be interesting for me to use a second build and put it to work. 
The afk farm build that's in the edited initial post is for a rad/fire brute that didn't even take burn - which kind of boggles my old-fashioned mindset. 

I looked through a few pages, and it's possible I missed it. Can you share that build? NVM, it just slapped me in the face. I found it. Still - what did you mean by best?   

Edited by Ukase

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

I have an afk rad/fire brute that does fairly well, but something is happening behind the combat log that's not mentioned. Combat attributes that are monitored like fire defense and fire resistance never waver, yet there seems to be some sort of failure. I never know why because I'm afk - (Well, tabbed out is probably more precise). Occasionally, I tab back in and see things are fine. And sometimes, I'll see defeat is imminent. I check the combat logs and there's no explanation as to why. If there's any -defense happening, this isn't shown on my combat log, and my combat attributes don't indicate anything amiss. It doesn't happen often; I can accept it as the cost of doing business. 

New (if p5 can be considered "new") aggro mechanics mean that it's no longer enough to have the magic "45/90" fire numbers.  Mobs that see you will shoot at you even if they're not in your official aggro table.  This gets to be a LOT of incoming damage.  You'll need some sustain, like additional regen or power transfer procs.  Note - I stopped farming before p5 but my curiosity did cause me to ask "how would I solve this?" and that's what I did and could handle any amount of additional incoming attacks.

Hello guys, i have a little question. I'm not looking for best farmer there is, just a character that is efficient enough, mainly to powerlevel my other account. I wanted him to have some kind of powerset that i rarely play and i ended up thinking about battle axe or war mace, with damage procs slotted of course. The plan is to make an active fire farmer, would it be better as a tank or brute?

On 3/25/2024 at 4:39 PM, Ukase said:

It's been quite some time since I've even thought about farming. The only reason I'm going revisit it is my inability to stomach the same iTrials over and over again for the incarnate bits. It seems I like repeating the lower level stuff more than the higher level stuff. Lord only knows why.
Since we can transfer emp merits (transcendent merits are actually the goal), it makes sense to me to have a character PLing another character while I actively play on my third account. And, then, if all works well, I rotate which account is actively playing, where the account that got PL'd will have enough emp merits to send to the next alt where iTrials will be something I might choose to do or choose not to do, rather then repeat the same heather townsend or iTrial trains ad nauseum. 

My question is simple in form, but likely not so simple in answer: what do you mean by "best". 
Inf and vet level XP correlates, and pretty sure my goals are not aligned with most of the goals of your typical farmer. By best are you referring to inf or xp gain per some metric of time? 
Or are you measuring something else? 

Still, I would be interested in seeing this elec/rad tank, as I already have one that's probably never been in AE. Might be interesting for me to use a second build and put it to work. 
The afk farm build that's in the edited initial post is for a rad/fire brute that didn't even take burn - which kind of boggles my old-fashioned mindset. 

I looked through a few pages, and it's possible I missed it. Can you share that build? NVM, it just slapped me in the face. I found it. Still - what did you mean by best?   

Makes the most inf/minute.

5 hours ago, Fireburn said:

Hello guys, i have a little question. I'm not looking for best farmer there is, just a character that is efficient enough, mainly to powerlevel my other account. I wanted him to have some kind of powerset that i rarely play and i ended up thinking about battle axe or war mace, with damage procs slotted of course. The plan is to make an active fire farmer, would it be better as a tank or brute?

Tank.

Now i'm trying to decide between axe and mace....looking at the powers it seems mace has more aoe but worse proc chances. my initial choice would have been mace....trying to do the math

Hi all,

I've seen that other's have asked, but I haven't been able to find a response, so I'll ask again.

I can't seem to get the Farmpro.mnu file to work.  The path listed for my install goes:

C:\Games\Homecoming\data

And is empty from there on out. Where should the mnu file end up so it can reference it through the key bind?

Thanks in advance.

20 hours ago, CrashJupiter said:

I'm running the AFK S/L build as a helper for my active S/L, Can someone tell me which toggles should be on? I assume Atom Smasher is the autofire.

For those looking, here's my best guess:
Toggles: Tough, Weave, Focused Accuracy, Charged Armor, Lightning Field, Static Shield. Everything else seems to be a set/proc mule.
Autofire: Atom Smasher.

So for the Smashing/Lethal I made a set of maps using the road tunnel that just make it easier to get in with whatever lowbies are tagging along so they don't get killed instantly. The enemies are the same build that AA uses on the asteroid map. Give it a try if you like 61170.