Patch Notes for June 8th, 2019

I have talked to Leo about this in the last few days: Assault set buffs are top priority right now. Dont have a full list to share yet, but in Energy Assault in particular looking at shortening the cast time for Total Focus, increasing the recharge and damage for Power Burst significantly, and possibly make Power Boost be a bit more like Gather Shadows.

Whilst I'm at it, I wouldn't mind some trickle damage over time on some of the elec control powers.  I find the damage on that set underwhelming for the elec' domi.

I Also have an elec elec.. remember part of the elec theme is sleep, and DoTs would break it... im fine with more damage, just not in a way that breaks the elec sleeps

Sleep in Electric Fences.  Aye.  I'm currently re-rolling my Elec Domi (that I spent 4 billion influ' on live...back in teh day...) and I'm enjoying 'getting it back there.'  Lots of brittle fun.  Do or die...  Control or assault.  Sleep.  Yes.  Lots of sleep.  Confuse.  End drain.  Static.  Tesla Cages.  With a nice snipe here and there....with bonesmashing fun.

How many ways to pull legs off spiders.  Blap.  Blast.  Scrap.  Control.  Party Susan.

Azrael.

I have talked to Leo about this in the last few days: Assault set buffs are top priority right now. Dont have a full list to share yet, but in Energy Assault in particular looking at shortening the cast time for Total Focus, increasing the recharge and damage for Power Burst significantly, and possibly make Power Boost be a bit more like Gather Shadows.

Whilst I'm at it, I wouldn't mind some trickle damage over time on some of the elec control powers.  I find the damage on that set underwhelming for the elec' domi.

I Also have an elec elec.. remember part of the elec theme is sleep, and DoTs would break it... im fine with more damage, just not in a way that breaks the elec sleeps

...do Blasters dream of electric sleeps?

hVHncIL.gif

My domi uses electric sleeps alot.  It's 5 slotted.  Just one more recharge to go...

I recall the pets Electric Gremlins being a little flimsy.  I'd like to see them attack with a bit more ferocity.

...and I have a future where I want to unlock the Mu Patron. 

Azrael.

The Assault set I was super unimpressed with in terms of playstyle was /Icy. There just isn't a lot going on there.

An interesting addition to that set would be a chance to create an Ice Patch (similar to the melee ability, not the giant Controller Ice Slick) when using certain powers. Or this could be a secondary effect of using Icy's Power Boost.

Sidenote: I've long thought Jack Frost, easily the the worst Controller pet, should have Ice Patch as a power, altho maybe it would conflict with his Hold.

...do Blasters dream of electric sleeps?

hVHncIL.gif

Folks, this is what a hero looks like.  Well done.

The Assault set I was super unimpressed with in terms of playstyle was /Icy. There just isn't a lot going on there.

An interesting addition to that set would be a chance to create an Ice Patch (similar to the melee ability, not the giant Controller Ice Slick) when using certain powers. Or this could be a secondary effect of using Icy's Power Boost.

Sidenote: I've long thought Jack Frost, easily the the worst Controller pet, should have Ice Patch as a power, altho maybe it would conflict with his Hold.

Icy looks a little thin too, yeah.  Comparing to /Energy, it looks like Energy gets Power Push and Snipe, and Icy gets Frost Breath and Chilling Embrace.  The other 7 powers look pretty equivalent (3 blasts, 2 melee, PBAoE, and Power Boost.)  It still looks on paper like Energy gets the short end of that trade.

In a magical world, I'd move Power Blast into Power Bolt's slot, and replace it with Energy Torrent would do a lot for /Energy Assault.

Then bump Power Burst's Recharge as Cpt Powerhouse is thinking to really differentiate it from Sniper Blast.

And put Total Focus animation on par with Seismic Smash, which seems to be the closest equivalent in other Assault sets.

I'd be pretty thrilled with /Energy at that point.

• City Council

Please if you are reworking the dom assault sets, then postpone the snipe dom changes till then.  Being gimped for an unknown amount of time really hurts.

powers dev wants to do a pass on Dominators before sending the snipe changes to live, since they are directly affected by it in ways that don't apply to Ranged sets. So I imagine it will be a week or two.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

Icy looks a little thin too, yeah.  Comparing to /Energy, it looks like Energy gets Power Push and Snipe, and Icy gets Frost Breath and Chilling Embrace.  The other 7 powers look pretty equivalent (3 blasts, 2 melee, PBAoE, and Power Boost.)  It still looks on paper like Energy gets the short end of that trade.

One issue the the +regen/recovery toggle on icy gets shut off (because it has a mob effect on it as well) when mezed and is on a 10s recharge while the other do not, thats not to say its effects on mobs are bad, they are great, just pointing out a disparity, maybe remove the CD on the toggle.

powers dev wants to do a pass on Dominators before sending the snipe changes to live, since they are directly affected by it in ways that don't apply to Ranged sets. So I imagine it will be a week or two.

Oh my bad, for some reason when reading the thread i understood that the assault set overhaul was coming at a later date.

@jaguaratron are you talking about the Blaster Secondaries?  I was talking about the Dom Assault secondaries.

@scran I think GM Widower was quoting some other communication, because that was news to me too.  I can't see anything in Leandro's post history that looks like that quote.  So your understanding was reasonable. :)

Since we're trying to balance everyone around Blasters can Dominators get a base HP buff to match that of blasters?  I mean they are both the squishiest and yet Doms have a significantly lower amount of HP.  Blasters got a significant QoL buff to their secondaries since the game had been away which I won't begrudge them so since we're begrudging Doms of the only QoL buff that I can see they seem to have received and we're being brought into line to not make Blasters jealous wouldn't it be fair to have relatively the same base HP available to them as well? 

I'm not persistently pursuing this I'm just pointing out that there's always been a tangible or perceived difference between everything so trying to shoehorn one AT to another I'm not for.  Who says between two intended DPSers one has to have every edge in every comparable power?  We're not talking about giving Doms nukes here, as pointed out by one of my cohorts blaster dps in this dps spam of a game is still quite superior, we're just fighting so nerfs don't just keep coming out of left field.  The toolkit has been vastly improved for Blasters while in this dev teams hands, great for them!  Doms got one nice new trick added over the last few years and its gotta be nerfed now so it's not better than blasters?!

Anyways can't wait to see the new enhancements coming to doms secondaries.

@jaguaratron are you talking about the Blaster Secondaries?  I was talking about the Dom Assault secondaries.

@scran I think GM Widower was quoting some other communication, because that was news to me too.  I can't see anything in Leandro's post history that looks like that quote.  So your understanding was reasonable. :)

Yeah blaster, my bad

Who says between two intended DPSers one has to have every edge in every comparable power?

Kinda sounds like you are actually. Blasters were behind everyone and everything significantly. That's what the i24 buffs were all about - and even those were seen as a low-ball at the time as it was only going to - assuming no buffs to anyone else which there inevitably were going to be - bring high performing Blasters to the low end of the all-other-ATs median.

Dominators are a LOT safer than a Blaster thanks to their Primaries. For one thing they eventually have one or two summons apiece such as Fire Imps or Haunt + Umbra Beast. Their damage isn't that far behind and they've got far better controls than the Blaster manipulation sets. Yes, Dominators were far ahead as well - especially with the damage bonus baked in and no longer part of just the inherent.

I'm all for not nerfing the Dominator snipes,  but "this isn't fair they should also get the higher base HP"? The performance issues were WITH that extra HP remember. That had been added in long ago, not with i24.

Plus it feels like there's a very strong whiff of "yet" on your comment about not asking for their nukes.

Most likely, what needs looking at in the assault sets is which powers are being completely skipped and ignored and why, not a blanket "we need to recover the giant gap we used to have over this other guy". I'd imagine Total Focus is on that list for example, and making the snipes worth taking for everyone that can seems a worthy goal as well.

Who says between two intended DPSers one has to have every edge in every comparable power?

Kinda sounds like you are actually. Blasters were behind everyone and everything significantly. That's what the i24 buffs were all about - and even those were seen as a low-ball at the time as it was only going to - assuming no buffs to anyone else which there inevitably were going to be - bring high performing Blasters to the low end of the all-other-ATs median.

Dominators are a LOT safer than a Blaster thanks to their Primaries. For one thing they eventually have one or two summons apiece such as Fire Imps or Haunt + Umbra Beast. Their damage isn't that far behind and they've got far better controls than the Blaster manipulation sets. Yes, Dominators were far ahead as well - especially with the damage bonus baked in and no longer part of just the inherent.

I'm all for not nerfing the Dominator snipes,  but "this isn't fair they should also get the higher base HP"? The performance issues were WITH that extra HP remember. That had been added in long ago, not with i24.

Plus it feels like there's a very strong whiff of "yet" on your comment about not asking for their nukes.

Most likely, what needs looking at in the assault sets is which powers are being completely skipped and ignored and why, not a blanket "we need to recover the giant gap we used to have over this other guy". I'd imagine Total Focus is on that list for example, and making the snipes worth taking for everyone that can seems a worthy goal as well.

What game were you playing before?  Blasters have always been great especially with at least a teammate.  Those buffs were to make survivability better, especially on their own.  Yes I agree doms were the safer slower choice especially on their own, even before permadoms.  The survivability toolkit deservedly so got an upgrade especially for when blasters decided to go it alone. 

I want nothing to do with their nukes I know doms were geared more towards aggro control and supposed good single target attacks and blasters just dps well at everything, but I will use their nukes in examples to highlight what I'm talking about.  Just today I was on an 8 man team aggressively running my dark blaster into +3 mobs with an aim+built up blackstar nuke that doesn't cause me to lose much end anymore so I'm able to quick snipe the few remainers.  By the time we get to the next mob all that is about recharged again. What's the dom have left to control or help dps with?  And in the big AV fights where controls have no affect?  You'd rather have the blaster.  Yeah blasters are doing well for themselves, why must one be beholden to another in every aspect?

Dominators don't really need a broad stroke revamp on their secondaries they just needed a light brush on a few things as you say.  The addition of this really good snipe felt like just that.  There's much apprehension because the time nerfing snipes and then revamping these same powersets could have been better used to help /ice and /thorn and any other snipeless underperforming secondaries. 

My point was not to shoehorn one to another which should go both ways but this went over your head. 

I liked the post from Golden Azrael style so I'm going to steal crib it!  Starting with some more global topics though.

1.  Let's keep trying to hear each other out and not get too worked up.  Actual testing, test experience, feedback and suggestions being shared is far more valuable and constructive than sniping (ha) back and forth and being smart asses.  Mostly doing good here and papa is proud!

2.  The "formula" as a justification for nerfs/buffs.  Having some kind of baseline and a mathematical way of getting there is a really good idea.  We also know that, sometimes, the formula fails somehow.  It can be a case of, "you can do everything right and still be wrong."  We know from live servers that a perfectly, formula correct, power ends up being "bad" or "skipped."  Thus it's okay to break the formula rules from time to time, just be judicious and examine the "why."  #2 brought to you by, "City of Blandness here we come."  ;D

3.  The original CoX developers went out of their way to maintain feel and not change things up too badly for existing fans/players of power sets and archetypes when changing things.  There are exceptions of course.  Following this example is commendable.  Along these lines, I love the efforts to retain slow snipes and allow for the availability of fast snipes being shown by the Homecoming team please maintain this drive as an ongoing effort!

4.  Dominator snipes are currently eating a nerf and there are at least 4 posts in this thread alone unhappy about it.  I have to echo the feeling expressed of, "Just leave them alone."  At least in the spirit of #3 above.  It seems like, at least, there are the tools to modify the fast snipe version to be in line, damage wise, with current snipe balancing, go with that if you can.

Any chance that the countdown on time bomb could be reduced slightly further?  5 seconds is still a little slow on faster paced teams.  Just another second or two could make a huge difference.

Having just leveled a Traps/Beam on live, trying to use a lot of Trip Mines (similar power with a cast of 5 and interrupt of 4 seconds) on teams I can strongly agree that it probably could go a full second faster.  Also, still not sure it needed to eat a defiance tweak with all the talk of /Devices under performing.

6.  Total Focus is an attack with a keen animation and great sound effects.  For what I see as over zealous balance reasons it was hit with the nerf bat on its mag 4 stun long ago.  This was after and in addition to ED hitting it hard so now it is sort of a why bother pick.  Regardless I still take it on my Ice/Energy Blaster main.  I really like the animation and sound hopefully whatever tweak is applied can retain some semblance of the "oh here it comes" feel.  Or just put the stun mag back up and crank the damage to make it "worth it" on hard targets?

better interrupt-redux compatibility in the trip-mines would be amazing.

This is super true.  As mentioned above, I just leveled a traps/beam on live and using up a full slot for -kb and another slot for Interrupt reduction leaves little flexibility for set bonuses especially since it is not compatible with any sets that have Interrupt reduction.  And if you go less than 6 slots..? oof! 

although as noted in the Bug Reports, Beam's snipe won't be spreading anything if the spread-delay bug sticks around.

Novacat bringing it again.  Some of the animations in Beam are really rough (as in, I can't tell that they actually fired and don't see damage numbers) when chained as well.  Not much to add, more of an I agree and hope it can be addressed. 

noob trap

Glad to see considerations for this kind of thing.  Currently the Consignment House lets players game the system on Attuned enhancements by listing regular IOs and buying that same IO as an attuned IO making the purchasing of Enhancement Catalysts a bit of a mugs game in most scenarios at their current merit price.  It's more complicated than that so I'm not sure what exactly should be done.

From a purely subjective standpoint: Hitting Aim and Build Up into a slow snipe and hitting like an absolute freight train to open a fight is just plain fun and that fantasy needs to be embraced.

Hear hear!  Don't tweak the game and game play styles into oblivion chasing balance.  Awesome!

While your visiting with Energy Assault, Energy Melee (in all its forms) might benefit from some attention, given that its noteworth attributes are terrible AOE damage, terrible single-target damage, and an attack you can kill yourself with. :)

Holy moly what I wouldn't give to have my Energy Melee brute back from the Nerf Retirement Castle.  Anything I can say, do or pay to get Energy Transfer back to the Power Thrust animation era alone would be worth it.  ;D ;D

Another one where I have nothing to add but my love and support.  Poor Jack, I loved him more because he was trying his best rather than being amazing.

One issue the the +regen/recovery toggle on icy gets shut off (because it has a mob effect on it as well) when mezed and is on a 10s recharge while the other do not, thats not to say its effects on mobs are bad, they are great, just pointing out a disparity, maybe remove the CD on the toggle.

Strongly agree, reducing the recharge by half would make it a lot more tolerable leveling, pre-io, and pretty much a non-issue after.  It will still be a QoL thing to have to retoggle it though every time to the point where you'd probably want a toggleon combo bind in your basic attacks because it is super important.  Would it break balancing to flag it as non-dropping?

Keep up the great conversation everyone, look at the results of just a little testing and feedback.  Very impressive!

Side note / post script: Apologies in advance, I think I borked one or two quote attributions.

Holy moly what I wouldn't give to have my Energy Melee brute back from the Nerf Retirement Castle.  Anything I can say, do or pay to get Energy Transfer back to the Power Thrust animation era alone would be worth it.  ;D ;D

Now that's what I'm talking about. :)

Azrael.

PS.  Energy Punch from Energy Melee kinda sucks after the Lord Mayor's show of Barrage's revamp?  Mere love tap.

PPS.  I'd like the equivalent of 'Rage' from SS on En Melee tank.  'Power Surge!'  To replace build up.

Jack Frost and Fly Trap got a buff er Balancing right before Shutdown now he's still a horrible pet but doesn't have a glass jaw like he literally had before.  I need to find the old patch notes on the changes on those two pets but lets just say I was pretty upset that it took the Devs that long to realize that our complaining about with Fly Trap and Jack Frost under-performing was true lol.

I agree with Mezmera Novacat.  Blasters are not what they used to be and they def have outpaced Doms which is fine but Doms need some work and I'm glad Powerhouse and Leo are looking at them! :D  Maybe Novacat, you are thinking about Fire/Psi Dominators?  Not all Dominators play like Fire/Psi sadly.

On the Dom changes please yes Icy needs SOMETHING lol.  -Recharge of 10% and slows are laughable.  Woot on the Energy change and I'm crossing my fingers on the changes for the other assault sets. 

On Topic:  I have not tested the Snipes yet but I will soon!  I can imagine I will love them since I was over the moon with the last patch anyway. 

OH!  The Beam Rifle changes!  Thank you so much!  I remember the Devs freaking out about how damaging Beam Rifle was on Beta so they nerfed the proc'ing of Disintegrate into Oblivion to the point where it felt like there was no reason to play Beam Rifle except for thematic reasons.  Bravo!  This will give Beam Rifle toons tools to further spread Disintegration and it will actually spread faster in teams instead of it only spreading to 2 or 3 people before the entire mob is dead on teams.  This news is almost exciting as the Snipe and Dom news  8)

Misc

All versions of Beam Rifle's Penetrating Ray now has a 55% chance of spreading disintegration.

All versions of Beam Rifle's Lancer Shot now has a 100% chance of spreading disintegration.

Beam Rifle > Disintegration > Should [hopefully] never linger after the target dies.

Yes!  It was amazing!  A good transition of the way it was during PreShutdownLive-Beta and Current-Live.  I need to do more testing on a Defender or Corr since on a Blaster everything seemed to die fast heh.  This will put Beam Rifle back on the map and make it a great set for Bosses as well as large groups.  It also didn't spread after foes died so now no worries on that one.  Back in the day Beam Rifle was a big hit but the nerfs were too safe and neutered it's potential and combined with some of the worst redraw we've ever seen it didn't do well on live and still hasn't.

Jack Frost and Fly Trap got a buff er Balancing right before Shutdown now he's still a horrible pet but doesn't have a glass jaw like he literally had before.  I need to find the old patch notes on the changes on those two pets but lets just say I was pretty upset that it took the Devs that long to realize that our complaining about with Fly Trap and Jack Frost under-performing was true lol.

I agree with Mezmera Novacat.  Blasters are not what they used to be and they def have outpaced Doms which is fine but Doms need some work and I'm glad Powerhouse and Leo are looking at them! :D  Maybe Novacat, you are thinking about Fire/Psi Dominators?  Not all Dominators play like Fire/Psi sadly.

On the Dom changes please yes Icy needs SOMETHING lol.  -Recharge of 10% and slows are laughable.  Woot on the Energy change and I'm crossing my fingers on the changes for the other assault sets. 

On Topic:  I have not tested the Snipes yet but I will soon!  I can imagine I will love them since I was over the moon with the last patch anyway. 

OH!  The Beam Rifle changes!  Thank you so much!  I remember the Devs freaking out about how damaging Beam Rifle was on Beta so they nerfed the proc'ing of Disintegrate into Oblivion to the point where it felt like there was no reason to play Beam Rifle except for thematic reasons.  Bravo!  This will give Beam Rifle toons tools to further spread Disintegration and it will actually spread faster in teams instead of it only spreading to 2 or 3 people before the entire mob is dead on teams.  This news is almost exciting as the Snipe and Dom news  8)

Tried an ice controller.  Was so looking forward to my pet Jack Frost.  Oh dear.  A dim-witted pet.  After the seeing the frenetic fire imps in action?  I was so disappointed that I stopped play my ice/rad.  Jack got a buff?  He had a glass jaw and now he don't.  Whoop.  Needs to be more mischievous like the electric gremlins.  (Now, they DO have a glass jaw...)

Aye.  Not all dos play like Fire/Psi.  AoE or bust?  I like my single target elec/elec domi.  I love it.  A little bit more damage over the set(s) would be good.  I've seen fire/psi melt mobs and do stuff I can only dream of.

Ice dom.  Tried it.  I felt it sucked.  If you want a real ice dom?  Roll an ice blaster.  i24 was transformative for them.  Ice aura slows down mobs a treat with sound range.  And it can stack with ice storm.  Awesomeness.

Beam rifle.  Tried on on live.  I felt it was the worst graphical and 'feel' for a set Paragon had ever done.  I'll have to go back and give it another try.  I recently teamed with a Beam on my Team (heh) and it looked like he was doing 'ok.' ;)

100% change for disintegration.

You know?  What would be REALLY transformative?  100% for knock back for en/en blaster.  It's irritatingly hap hazard.  Eg.  Like Force Bolt.  When it hits?  It's going to do knock back.  Or like Force Bubble?  When it hits you?  You're getting pushed back.  No question.

Azrael.

Azrael, you should grab Dom /Energy Assault's Power Push.  It's full regular blast damage plus a strong 100% KB.  It feels like the blaster version should get the same love.

Good catch, Senseichen!

I remember rolling a Gravity Energy Dominator.  Very 'different.'  And yes, vaguely recall En's Power Push on Assault being regular blast damage with 100 KB.  Now that's what I'm talking about.

I'd love to see En/En get the knock back love.  (Hey, Ice holds.  It holds.  Not 'maybe'.  It holds.  It's slows.  It slows.  Not if.  It slows.  I'd like to see the knbk on energy a bit more '100%'.  Fun mitigation.  It buys you just enough time to get your shots off.)  It would make the class more fun.  The snipe and energize are huge steps in the right direction.  Put the guaranteed knock into Power Boost and have that as a toggle maybe.  I'd like to see some of that bio armour modulation brought to energy 2ndary.  One mode makes you do perma-hasten.  Another mode allows perma-DEFFO-KnBK.  Another mode is STUN!  Another mode is bonus damage (En is so mediocre..) another mode makes your powers AoE but less damage than single attack.  etc.  Blast modes would be SO cool!!!!

Azrael.

Are there any plans to balance out sets that don't have snipe? (i.e. Sonic, water, etc). If not, has it been considered? Obviously, sets without snipe will still perform as they did, but getting a ST buff to... idk... let's say Sonic blast would be wonderful!

Tried an ice controller.  Was so looking forward to my pet Jack Frost.  Oh dear.  A dim-witted pet.  After the seeing the frenetic fire imps in action?  I was so disappointed that I stopped play my ice/rad.  Jack got a buff?  He had a glass jaw and now he don't.  Whoop.  Needs to be more mischievous like the electric gremlins.  (Now, they DO have a glass jaw...)

Aye.  Not all dos play like Fire/Psi.  AoE or bust?  I like my single target elec/elec domi.  I love it.  A little bit more damage over the set(s) would be good.  I've seen fire/psi melt mobs and do stuff I can only dream of.

Ice dom.  Tried it.  I felt it sucked.  If you want a real ice dom?  Roll an ice blaster.  i24 was transformative for them.  Ice aura slows down mobs a treat with sound range.  And it can stack with ice storm.  Awesomeness.

Beam rifle.  Tried on on live.  I felt it was the worst graphical and 'feel' for a set Paragon had ever done.  I'll have to go back and give it another try.  I recently teamed with a Beam on my Team (heh) and it looked like he was doing 'ok.' ;)

100% change for disintegration.

You know?  What would be REALLY transformative?  100% for knock back for en/en blaster.  It's irritatingly hap hazard.  Eg.  Like Force Bolt.  When it hits?  It's going to do knock back.  Or like Force Bubble?  When it hits you?  You're getting pushed back.  No question.

Azrael.

I shouldn't say that Jack got a buff...more like he was elevated to the levels of acceptability.  He was under performing before when it came to him dishing out damage and taking hits and the Devs  gave him values that made him on par with the other controller pets...so to say he got buffed is a little misleading. I must apologize. 

When people think Powerful Dominators they think Fire/Psi the reason?  Fire has the most damage out of all the control sets and once the KB-KD proc was introduced it added more control and Utility.  Mind you Fire Control needed that Bonefire change badly.  Psi's T9 was strong and had a low recharge and hit relatively hard which in turn called for it's T9 to be nerfed.  I think this was a hotfix situation because it really highlighted the issues with the Dominator Assault sets.  AOE is nice but the real reason why people loved that build was because of performance and other Dom Combos weren't able to hit quite as hard and that's what makes things dangerous because everyone will assume all Dom combos hit as hard as Fire/Psi.

Beam has seen a lot of improvements due to indirect changes like No Redraw and the Snipe changes so once this patch hits I hope to see far more Beam Rifle toons out there!

Fire/Psi.  They seem to be the standard build for 'melt all' damage?  It's the one that seems to stand out to me.  I've also heard about Plant doms with fire?  Psi and Fire, though.  Are the games standouts.  Not many things resist Psi and Fire teh POwURful damage burnie.  You see it with a spines/fire farm built.  Some things are 'go to' for the damage.  That isn't a big attraction to me.

Though I would like a bit more damage on my elec/elec domi on control and assault sets.  Dom's are brittle and very tippy tappy.  But that Domination button.  Oh mamma.  I find it's brittle play style compelling though.  My current favourite type. 

Brutes and scrappers.  Where's the vulnerability?  I'm tough and I do loads of damage.  Where's the challenge?  Wander in.  Hit stuff.  Get surrounded.  Wait.  It's all dead.  (Though my elec shield brute is, at L32 still making hard work of it...with a leaky end problem...)

My elec/elec domi' is 'ok' at single target damage.  I use Build Up to supplement my damage out put AND Assault from Leadership.  (I'll take what I can get...)

I wonder if the incarnate damage power in my incarnate slot would help...boost damage out put some.

As for Jack.  Give him a 'slow' aura.  That would make his dull witted persona more compelling.  Give him Bitter Freeze Ray.  So he's a slow plodding slower...with a big south paw punch.

Azrael.