Windows 95 in CoH

To be fair, it was better than Me at City of Heroes' launch, but 98SE wasn't that hard to get a hold of, either.  XP would have also been rather easy to acquire as well.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Reminds me that in early seasons of the TV show '24' where they used Linux screens so no one would yell about copyright/trademarks, then Apple got them to use their stuff later.

The really fun part is that much of the war-level technology runs on things like XP...in 2019.

The villains in today's world are the ones hacking the 'powers that be' because the heroes are still using XP...

Somewhere there is some social commentary in there around our MMO 'villains' using XP and modern 'heroes' using XP, but that hurts to think about with so little coffee...

No wonder we can defeat all the villain groups so easily; they are still using Win 95

PFvMP63DAh_dB9mGPhRvrWzkbn5_JEk4xedybs0HHUt8gqN0nplIeT1r89Aq9YjwmcdLmu54iJL4GPfQ-IIsEFxFW3wdHPY0mIdjLAK7F5HHb1GElOlyA65KMHu8h25deMwYEhFXFXj724jw7qdPDm9w96W-gmjyS31aCDJj4_8CkleljM0fCFKS3gJ7KAB9rp-OnS8L_8tYgeHqkiEVeoDVFQivSJcUv_BOLWyRqSqRk40_tk4akKtQKIcQwwHwuwSby7uux87bRAtHWWkYokZJd3c5CxZnRaWZYeZCEOv-rPIw7LvRelLBTB9VnJKft2XZtrqJkJNtHz7qzr_IZprQ6JJMmaV2vMJIPNgFYmWTXZA3y4jwq6liJDz-WQGLp9uXxiPvodeOTf90M39dn7Av8q6bzme5kUkOz6a7jOb_0XlJ9M9izUOxq0ATzzNIRPFUud3pPKT_W-ZDhr2dg3dJWXxutH2xs-S-q7kjMoXKjik0cfE97IRarouRVj3FVcR_KhBxnHcS_Jntb-dQE0ztznAZK-n_EsMyj6CDVHqrf9S5O1gEKcqEM6wh3HGhoV5ZECNno_PCDbzk5Q4luFvHGYpOAXxKaF1IojHKywkX4N-kfbDFBXPJEmwRLsLFP4B5JLkbI43rjk1UQWJxAk8wL-4soicAseJvR_SJI6TZwUAJNme2aziPQ8RNYJmlm217rKfS-pzUbiCW12QEEXvGdg=w1108-h623-no

I'm pretty sure that's actually Windows 98 SE, as that was the consumer version of Windows available at the time Cryptic began development on CoH.

The really fun part is that much of the war-level technology runs on things like XP...in 2019.

Do you really want all nuke controls to go FUBARd whenever Windows 10 decides to force an update?

XD

I think you guys would be shocked to know how much technology runs on software that makes any version of Windows look brand spanking new in comparison. Especially military technology.

Do you really want all nuke controls to go FUBARd whenever Windows 10 decides to force an update?

XD

I think you guys would be shocked to know how much technology runs on software that makes any version of Windows look brand spanking new in comparison. Especially military technology.

My dad who got out of the Navy in the early aughts (2001ish), complained about still having to use these bad boys ON HIS NUCLEAR SUB:

EZM9ORv.jpg

I'm out.

My dad who got out of the Navy in the early aughts (2001ish), complained about still having to use these bad boys ON HIS NUCLEAR SUB:

EZM9ORv.jpg

What is that?  A coaster?  Some kind of Floppy coaster?  Unlike many Disk shaped coasters, it's more squarish...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I've got 20 of those sitting right by me.

Picked up an Apple 2 and going to go all retro with it.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

Lets just say I do know and I am not shocked so much as amazed we are all still alive. :)

The kicker now is that _no one_ has the skills to the fix some of it as well, the programming lauguages are in essence, all but lost.

The assumption that 'big companies' and 'the government' run anything modern is ... naive at best. :)

I'm almost positive that's Windows 2000. The blue desktop wallpaper definitely matches its default desktop.

You would be correct, that is Windows 2k

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

I prefer Vista

Nice to see I'm not the only one.  The smoothest and most stable gaming rig I ever ran used Vista; I finally upgraded it (to 7) within the last two years for compatibility reasons, but I hated to let it go.  Vista was a resource hog, but if you built a system with the resources it needed, it ran like a dream.