I think it is time to get rid of Reward Merits and PAPs

kelika2

Just now, battlewraith said:

It was ridiculous 13 years ago. Therefore...they shouldn't be lowered now? Is that the point of this?

The pessimist in me said it was a "YOU DANG KIDS" post

The optimist in me said that the dev team has merit prices on their radar to lower them even more or give us the option to half merit cost but add inf cost

• Thumbs Down 1

Yeah, reward merit costs used to be beyond excessive. Homecoming has already made the reward merit system vastly more cost-effective with prices in fractions of what they used to be, plus expanded it with many options the old system didn't even allow for (and which would have been 5 to 10 times more expensive than on HC if they had, like PvP and Purple sets). It was ridiculous.

Edited by El D

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

2 minutes ago, El D said:

Yeah, reward merit costs used to be beyond excessive. Homecoming has already made the reward merit system vastly more cost-effective

It might be the 10 year gap between shutdown and now, but was that really homecoming that lowered the prices?  I dont even remember 500 merit cost items until that devpost

• City Council
11 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

The pessimist in me said it was a "YOU DANG KIDS" post

The optimist in me said that the dev team has merit prices on their radar to lower them even more or give us the option to half merit cost but add inf cost

Not quite. More along the lines of since the costs were already reduced by a HUGE amount, as much as 400% lower in some cases, we would be very careful about adjusting them any further. As merits were designed to be a release valve to keep the market under control (i.e. you should never be paying merit prices for uncommon recipes unless something has gone very wrong) I wouldn't expect that to happen unless there were signs of significant supply problems.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• City Council
Just now, kelika2 said:

It might be the 10 year gap between shutdown and now, but was that really homecoming that lowered the prices?  I dont even remember 500 merit cost items until that devpost

Technically I think it was done during the gap between live and HC, when a lot of stuff got re-tuned for a small pop private server environment. We just never un-did those changes. But if you go onto a stock I24 server you'll see them in all their glory. Not pictured on the wiki article is enhancement converters going for 10 merits each.

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

Yeah, the Live costs were so atrocious that I imagine most folks either don't remember them due to sheer 'I never want to think about that nonsense again!' or just not having used them nearly as much in the first place as they do on HC. 95% of all my builds on Live were made via Wentworths or lucky drops - using merits, especially for really rare sets, was an exercise in near futility. It could certainly be done but it was painful spending that much. Granted, the entire point of having ATOs cost 400-500 merits each was to get folks to spend Paragon Points on superpacks rather than 'waste merits.' One of those 'yeah, you can earn them in-game but it's a lot easier in the cash shop!' things that modern MMOs all latched onto in the intervening decade.

Also ninja'd by @Number Six but they'd know better than me anyway - I just figured HC did at some point it given that's how much they cost when I started playing here. xD

Edited by El D

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

43 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

So instead of having vendors take INF for items to help with the economy, you thought it was HELPING the inf issue back then by making another currency?

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Merits didn't redress the economic imbalance on the original servers because they were implemented in a way which restricted availability, introduced far too late to change the direction of the economy, and merit prices were factored around expected inf* gain and set to an equivalent rate, resulting in the same time spent collecting merits to pay for something as one would grind inf* to pay for the same thing.

Sophistry doesn't work when posts are a matter of public record.  Save the spin doctoring nonsense for someone else.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

4 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Sophistry doesn't work when posts are a matter of public record.  Save the spin doctoring nonsense for someone else.

So you are going to just ignore the fact that even with another option to get something, the thing you complained about got worse because of the other option?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Man, I wanted to reply to Glacier Peak's emoji to describe that Luminara missed the point due to dystopian posting and got this pic instead.

Now I am wondering if all you sonsofbitches are bots and I am the last real person on these forums.  I refuse to believe there are 10 or more players who thinks about ice and tall rocks this much

1.jpg

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I think it is time to get rid of Reward Merits and PAPs

And I think it is not.  Merit Rewards act as a price cap.  Removing them completely would lead to rampant inflation.  Not to mention everyone that hoards merits or PAPs would just have them disappear.

No, sir.  I don't like it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Why in the fuck would they remove a currency they just added? How does that even remotely make any sense?

This is a horrible suggestion on that alone, but to remove reward merits is...just silly.

Edited by Shadeknight
  • Thanks 3

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

1 minute ago, Shadeknight said:

Why in the fuck would they remove a currency they just added? How does that even remotely make any sense?

This is a horrible suggestion on that alone, but to remove reward merits is...just silly.

Because a carrot on a short stick is the point of the thread

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

1 minute ago, Rudra said:

Carrot on short stick gets eaten by horse pulling carriage. 😄

Yup, now you are getting it.  Watching people glaze over the game time and time again, either by AE farming or speed everything why even?  I wanted to enjoy the ride, I wanted to go back.  But everyone has their fucking carrot.

Bot check:  88% of the time

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

Yup, now you are getting it.  Watching people glaze over the game time and time again, either by AE farming or speed everything why even?  I wanted to enjoy the ride, I wanted to go back.  But everyone has their fucking carrot.

Bot check:  88% of the time

My comment was meant to be in jest. However, given your statement that my comment is your intent, then allow me to finish the statement.

Carrot on short stick gets eaten by horse pulling carriage, so carriage stops moving. If that is your purpose, then you are asking for the game to come to halt.

Using my jest as analogy, giving people something that is being used as enticement in a game outside of the intended enticement kills the purpose of the enticement. Enticements are there to get people moving, or to keep them playing in this case.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct "an" to "as".
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Carrot on short stick gets eaten by horse pulling carriage, so carriage stops moving. If that is your purpose, then you are asking for the game to come to halt.

Even when you entered serious mode you still do not get it.

If I were to take a jest that was turned into serious but understanding that you cannot understand a serious jest, are you telling me that people would shut down and stop playing if they had to start playing the game?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My point was that if you take my jest as your intent, then you are asking for the carriage, or game in this context, to stop moving forward. You are asking for it to come to a halt. My getting serious about my jest is to point out that letting the horse eat the carrot despite it being the means by which the carriage is driven is a ludicrous sentiment when it comes to the game. Your claim that letting the horse eat the carrot in my jest is the desired outcome despite the consequences is why I went back and finished the statement.

And if your response to my jest was also in jest? You gave no indication for me or anyone else to take it as such.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Rudra said:

My point was that if you take my jest as your intent, then you are asking for the carriage, or game in this context, to stop moving forward. You are asking for it to come to a halt. My getting serious about my jest is to point out that letting the horse eat the carrot despite it being the means by which the carriage is driven is a ludicrous sentiment when it comes to the game. Your claim that letting the horse eat the carrot in my jest is the desired outcome despite the consequences is why I went back and finished the statement.

And if your response to my jest was also in jest? You gave no indication for me or anyone else to take it as such.

At this point I dont think you know how carrots on a stick work now

• Haha 2