Overseer, New Archetype

Gobbledigook

What if we mixed Mastermind pets with Controller primary to create a new AT called Overseer or something else. Would that work? Masterminds are the only class that has access to MM pets, most other sets cross over in some way.

For example...

Necromancy/Dark Control

Demons/Fire Control

Could be fun 😉

Not sure if this has ever been mentioned before.

Edited by Gobbledegook
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Gobbledigook changed the title to Overseer, New Archetype

This sounds rather interesting. I think in theory this could potentially work, but you'd end up with a lackluster archetype because of how crucial the support secondary is to help the henchpets function.

That said, I'm definitely not against the idea and think it's a step in the right direction at least for new archetype ideas!

Edited by Zeraphia
  • Like 1

We have a number of combos and the two options we are missing is pets comboed with damage and pets comboed with control.

The problem I see with control is illusion and PA where they can't take damage and they taunt.

I would prefer a damage/control mix set where the summons are replaced with damaging attacks and the immob, holds, disorients, confuses stay if this were a thing.

That way you get the mix you're looking for without some combos being so strong and it fills the gap on both damage and control missing from pets.

4 hours ago, Gobbledegook said:

What if we mixed Mastermind pets with Controller primary to create a new AT called Overseer

I think there would have to be a lot of tweaking with regards to the damage & control values, and a lot of thought would have to be put into this class's special ability.  For instance, I wonder if they could implement a special ability, similar to containment, but only for your pets - like maybe your pets deal increased damage and have an increased chance to hit vs controlled enemies, but you yourself did not.  This could include pets from the secondary as well.  As others pointed out, though, Illusion may be too powerful in this setup, so maybe just exclude it for the time being.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was going to suggest a pet/armor type of class.  The pet sets use melee weapons/attacks with taunt attached to them like tank versions etc.  Somebody that instead of having to buff and support the pets, tanks for the pets and the pets support the main user.

But this can work too.  Atleast to allow the server to dip it's toes into the water to get used to the idea.

Edited by weewoozesty
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• I was going to suggest a pet/armor type of class.  The pet sets use melee weapons/attacks with taunt attached to them like tank versions etc.

I kind of like this idea, paring MM primaries w/ armor so Necromancy + Dark Armor or Ninjas + Ninjitsu, Demon Summoning + Fiery Aura that would be pretty cool. Maybe replace the 3 MM attacks w/ melee.

I know there is one private server that made Knights summoning and the MM's attacks are Axe attacks from Battle Axe essentially.

Edited by Disruptor
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, weewoozesty said:

I was going to suggest a pet/armor type of class.  The pet sets use melee weapons/attacks with taunt attached to them like tank versions etc.  Somebody that instead of having to buff and support the pets, tanks for the pets and the pets support the main user.

But this can work too.  Atleast to allow the server to dip it's toes into the water to get used to the idea.

The pets would have virtually no survivability with the support secondaries to keep them alive removed. Even if the MM has a Tanker's taunt aura with every attack. And to make up for the new AT having armor sets as either its primary or secondary, it would lose Bodyguard Mode. ... which at least would help the pets survive since they wouldn't be taking any portion of the character's suffered damage any more....

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct "at" to "as".

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

The pets would have virtually no survivability with the support secondaries to keep them alive removed. Even if the MM has a Tanker's taunt aura with every attack. And to make up for the new AT having armor sets as either its primary or secondary, it would lose Bodyguard Mode. ... which at least would help the pets survive since they wouldn't be taking any portion of the character's suffered damage any more....

Thats why I was thinking it would be a different type of pet.  Maybe even one from scratch.  A "Dynamic Duo" kind of pet.  A strong single pet with a melee/theme to it with armor.

As you level up you can upgrade the pet.

You may wish to take a look at what other posters have done before. I realize that I haven't updated the list in a while, but there is a lot of info and inspiration there.

Tactician (19.06.12.13.01.17.01)

Pet/Control

Attacks of Opportunity: Pets do additional damage to controlled targets.

Tacticians focus on disabling enemies for a form of controlled chaos.

Dissident (19.08.29.22.14.05)

Pet/Control

[placeholder]:

A set designed to unleash the hordes onto the battlefield.

My tag has my Archetype Concept Compilation thread linked so that you can look up what has been thought of before. Again, some more recent proposals have not been added, but it is definitely worth reviewing before proposing new archetypes.

Edited by Zepp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

3 hours ago, weewoozesty said:

Something like that won The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round that I ran a while back.

The Duo (19.06.07.16.09.36)

Assault/{Pet/Armor/Support}

Partnership: +DMG +ToHit in proximity to pet. Share power effects with pet.

The Duo is an AT that is focused on working strongly with a single pet partner and balancing the burden with them.

@malonkey1 did some testing on it as well, although I haven't seen them around for a minute.

• Like 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation