New Power Pool - Combat Utility

SPECIFICALLY to address including costume pieces that usually only appear in other sets/limited places.

Hello, 

I had commented on a thread where the OP had wanted to have access to having a Shield costume piece even though the character might not be a Shield archetype. This brought to my mind the difficulty in bringing the animations and things associated.

So I thought, maybe if we had another set of miscellaneous pool powers available (at level 4/6 like the rest) that was simply made up of copies of existing powers to accommodate the game recognizing you need the costume piece.  It makes the makes the idea useful in a build too.
Since my original comment, I thought more and think a decent name might be "Combat Utility".

Some suggested powers in the pool might be:

• A shield defense toggle to allow the shield to stay on while running and still have some value/also unlocking the costume piece option in Icon/costume creator,
  • A single (*not dual!*) pistol shot for some folks may want their guy to carry a sidearm, even if the rest of the powers are different, I mean, there are the temporary shotguns, pistols and machine guns already, so is this a stretch? 
  • The throwing knife (<---- I have always wanted to have this without having to compromise origin) that recharges quickly, 
  • Choice of one of the jet packs as a travel option. I know people can simply purchase one, but maybe this one is a little faster and comes with an afterburner type acceleration?
  • Maybe a cool helmet toggle option that allows you to resist stun/mez and see hidden enemies.

These powers don't have to be super powerful like their primary/secondary set counterparts, but if available, they would commit the option for the costume part/animations with little adjustment to code.

A flavor set to be sure.

Just spitballing.
Comments?

Edited by AlabasterKnight
words
  • Thumbs Up 4

I still believe good guys wear white hats and it's okay hold doors for others.

Original Server: Protector  ||  Supergroup: The Garrison <||>  Homecoming Server: Excelsior  ||  Supergroup: The Watchguard

5 minutes ago, AlabasterKnight said:
  • The throwing knife (<---- I have always wanted to have this without having to compromise origin) that recharges quickly, 

Take whatever origin you want, go to the Transact4Victoy vendor, relinquish whatever origin power you have, buy the Throwing Knife.

You can have the throwing knife as any origin, btw. Just go to the p2w vendor and give up your starting origin power, and re-select the throwing knife. So you can have a magical character who tosses knives at people, for instance.

<edit> Funny, Decoy and I said the same thing at the same moment. 🙂

Edited by WumpusRat

25 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

Take whatever origin you want, go to the Transact4Victoy vendor, relinquish whatever origin power you have, buy the Throwing Knife.

Yes, but at pool level, it would be slightly better maybe? And why relinquish the origin stuff if it can be in the pool and *not* be P2W?
And really the gem here is the shield.

Edited by AlabasterKnight

Original Server: Protector  ||  Supergroup: The Garrison <||>  Homecoming Server: Excelsior  ||  Supergroup: The Watchguard

3 hours ago, AlabasterKnight said:

I had commented on a thread where the OP had wanted to have access to having a Shield costume piece even though the character might not be a Shield archetype.

Who has two thumbs and also almost got mentioned in a suggestion....👍👍,  this guy !

Here is that post if anyone needs the reference. 

• Thanks 1

I'm kind of going back and forth on this being a pool. No real argument about it though. I know I have characters that carry a sidearm regardless of what else they are. I don't mind using the temp power, but if it'd give some other customization options without having to have 20 copies of different pistols...

"Oh, you're a great mystic power, but I'm warded against every sort of magic! What are you going to do?" *pulls out a pistol, shoots.*

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I like the idea, but I'd tweak it a little, (order of powers not hard-set):

1. Riot Shield - Uses the existing shield models.  Provides a tiny amount of defense, but also reduces knockdown and repel effects.

2. Sidearm - A simple pistol shot.

3. Spear throw - Use the animation from the various Cimerora enemies.

4. Booster pack - The base power would be similar to superjump, with a click that grants flight.

5. Enhanced Vision - An auto power that boosts perception, resists tohit & perception debuffs, and provides a small amount of +acc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later

Bumping this up for some post-Thanksgiving love.

I love some of the tweaks/suggestions above. 
It could be a really useful gap filler for immersion.

Hope everyone had a warm holiday with family and friends.

AK

I'd vote for Knife over Spear Throw.  Knives are small, concealable, and more thematic for a quick ranged attack.  Spears may be a better weapon (with fewer temp powers granting them), but they're not something I would expect many natural/gadget heroes to carry around with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/11/2022 at 4:06 PM, biostem said:

I like the idea, but I'd tweak it a little, (order of powers not hard-set):

4. Booster pack - The base power would be similar to superjump, with a click that grants flight.

Not bad, but you know what we don't have that could be useful to many character concepts?

Gliding as a travel power.  It would work like flight except that you can't gain altitude and you lose altitude constantly at a slow but steady rate.  As a click bonus like other travel powers have, you gain a short duration ability to gain altitude and use normal flight power to simulate knowing how to catch the wind just right for some short term lift or to represent having some boosters to help gain lift for that extra distance when there's nothing high enough to jump off of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Gliding as a travel power.  It would work like flight except that you can't gain altitude and you lose altitude constantly at a slow but steady rate.  As a click bonus like other travel powers have, you gain a short duration ability to gain altitude and use normal flight power to simulate knowing how to catch the wind just right for some short term lift or to represent having some boosters to help gain lift for that extra distance when there's nothing high enough to jump off of.

I wonder - how does the game handle jumping, because gliding could basically be a form of jumping, only with the downward part of the arc - if you could "stretch" out said arc so the vertical drop is much less than the horizontal distance traveled...

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, biostem said:

I wonder - how does the game handle jumping, because gliding could basically be a form of jumping, only with the downward part of the arc - if you could "stretch" out said arc so the vertical drop is much less than the horizontal distance traveled...

I think it might be easier to treat it as flight with a constant slow downward pull and no ability to go up (without the secondary clicky effect).  It would work well with jumping if you had both (or a jump pack temp power) because you could kick off to get altitude and then slowly glide back down, either straight down like some kind of feather fall effect or as far as you can get in the direction of your choice until you reach the ground again.

• Thumbs Up 2