Show the color of the character name

MHertz

When the "individual name colors" setting is on, each name is converted to a fixed color — some hash process, I suppose. 

Is there any way to show which color the name is while we are building and naming the toon? It would be helpful to match the color of costume pieces to the name, or to tweak the name to produce a specific color effect. Maybe if you have a cold-based hero you want your name to be blue, instead of neon pink. Or whatever.

Is that possible?

• Like 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

1 hour ago, Yaliw said:

If I'm not mistaken, it's based on the first letter of the name.

I don’t think so. I have a SG of what are essentially clones, all named Wild Willow (using capital i and lower-case L to create the illusion of the same name). Four are green, one is red, one is brown, and one is blue.

• Like 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

I've only recently started doing that with the names, because why not, and the first toon I put it on was PINK BAMPFER and guess what color his name came out as?  Yup, pink.  I wondered if maybe the system takes any color in your name as a suggested color, maybe make a BLUE VJHFCGHFH just to see if it comes out blue.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• Retired Developer

Unfortunately there isn't!

I did take a look at the code involved out of curiosity and the bulk of the generation is done by a hashing process that's also used by other systems. As mentioned by someone else, the result is then brought up to a minimum brightness if the luminosity is too low.

I went ahead and ported the relevant portions to an html/javascript page you can run locally to test names out, if it helps.

The zip file contains the .htm file (which you can read and edit in a text editor).

It's possible some anti-virus might freak out at that, or it might not work at all since locally run pages might have their javascript turned off as a security feature from your browser, anti-virus or something else.

coh-name-colors.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2