What pairs well with storm summoning and what AT(s) best leverage its abilities?

biostem

As the title states, what other power set(s) pair well with storm summoning, and what AT(s) really make the set shine?  I've rolled up several characters of various ATs and with other power sets, but none have really shone through for me.  I'd love to hear what you folks have to say on the matter.  Thanks!

Everything goes well with storm! Merely need to identify your preference.

Okay, that’s not the most helpful pair of statements. What do you want to be doing? For me, my preference leans to Masterminds.

For masterminds, the pets in the primary can be ignored while focusing on the /storm powers for damage. And it can pump out some wild damage. Check the Pylon thread for specifics.

Additionally, the tornado can a lot recharge intensive pet sets, resulting in more build flexibility for squeezing in the pet uniques. 

The MM set Superior Mark of Supremacy grants 10% recharge as a mere 2-piece set bonus. Most slot efficient since storm gets better the more recharge you can squeeze out (for more Lightening Storms, Tornados, and Freezing Rains). MMs have the benefit of the highest functional resistances in the game through bodyguard. With so much chaos, KDs, and ToHit debuffs flying around (Hurricane), what little damage makes it through is a usually shrugged off through native regeneration.

MMs also have access to immobilization through Patron powers, at least one of which has -KB (Mu if I recall). That way, there is a meaningful option as to whether you need or desire to pay the KB-to-KD slot tax. 

Mercs and Thugs are the usual suspects here. I’ve run a demon in this combo which was pretty sick. With the changes to some of the mastermind primaries last issue, I’m tempted most be Mercs (haven’t played since Live; all range; easier to slot pet uniques; new Serum likes recharge) and Necromancy (most familiar primary for me; Soul Extraction likes recharge).  

That said, if you want to be doing hardmodes or similar content, masterminds are not the ideal choice. Also, the pet controls are counterintuitive and take some initial set up to get everything clicking. 

If not a mastermind, I tend to lean towards controllers as a runner-up. Illusion is a classic pairing. Fire Control is hilarious though can be painful to level due to each power set’s endurance woes. 

• Thanks 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Being a character conception player, if I pick Storm Summoning, I pair it with cold, electricity, or water.

That is to say, Winter Storms, Hurricanes/Typhoons, and Monsoons. 

That isn't to say that  you couldn't color Storm Summoning to look like a sand storm, but I haven't made any "Sand Storm" characters yet ... but obviously paired with Earth Control, Seismic Blast, etc.

.... Ack, might have to make another Alt.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Sounds like a good, chaotic pairing.  

If you weren't already thinking it, pack as many FF+ procs into your blasts as feasible to drive down recharge.

Similar to what Nyght mentioned above for MM, Corr Scourging Blast ATO set gets its 10% recharge on 3pc bonus. So you can split that up and make it easier to reach 5 instances of 10% recharge from purple set bonuses. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Corruptor: Ice Blast/Storm

Scourge synergy with Rains

Fast Animations - Storm and some other pairings can be really busy with activation times.

Proc-Friendly (Bitter Ice Blast & Freeze Ray)

Slow-stacking

Freeze-Ray holds

Knock-down patches - Sleet and Blizzard

Corruptors can split an ATO easily for two 10% Recharge bonuses - I like dropping 3 in Ice Storm and 3 in Freeze Ray or BIB with the rest proc'd out.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

While Storm certainly works well with other ATs, it synergizes quite well with controllers. It provides additional damage to those primaries that are light on it and additional soft control to those that need it. Earth/Storm, Gravity/Storm and Ice/Storm are all great pairings.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Just as an update, I've been leveling up my seismic/storm corruptor.  Slotted a KB->KD IO in gust, and it's a real game-changer.  I'm working on getting another for meteor.  I'm going to work towards getting those extra +rech from the ATOs, and am planning to get 5 +def powers to put LotG's.  I haven't gotten to try lightning storm yet, but am eagerly anticipating it.  Thanks all!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smnolimits43 said:

hmmm.. i'm gonna have to try seismic.  I already have a lvl 50 Storm/Energy, and i love both sets, but maybe its time to try something else.

I almost always take a flight power on my characters, but since seismic has a lot of powers that only work while on/near the ground, I've had to break some old habits, so just keep that in mind...

My personal choice is Dark Control/Storm.

Storm has a lot of effects that want enemies on the ground, unable to be knocked back and incapable of running away. This tends to strongly favor control sets over blast sets or pet sets - most particularly pet sets that can -fly/-kb immobilize. Dark Control is one of those sets and its secondary effect (-hit) stacks well with Storm while also bringing some of the best overall damage with its pets.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later

Playing a Sonic/Storm Corr right now who's al ot of fun, but doesn't hold a candle to the earth/storm controller I had back on live

Stone Cages does -knockback so you've no need to put KB to KD IOs in, and you can watch tornado rip enemies apart. The combined to-hit debuff of Hurricane and Earthquake on AVs will make your team untouchable if it isn't already.

On 1/17/2023 at 6:30 PM, biostem said:

Slotted a KB->KD IO in gust, and it's a real game-changer.

I've had two Storm characters and it's a must for them: walk up to a group:  WHOOSH "Y'all sit down whilst we kill you ok?  No, I said SIT!"  WHOOSH  "Look, I can do this all day, sit down!"  WHOOSH (etc.) 

It's great, it recharges quickly so they need never stand up again until you're done defeating them.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝