Those special free enhancements which proc for damage - do you use them?

DougGraves

up until the proc blows out at 22 they are F-ing gold.  After that they are valuable in that they are dual Rech/Dam Enhancers of SO value.  So, depending on if you are having trouble slotting or dont want to spend on a set.  3 Damage SOs are kinda wasted.  2 Dam SO, one of these feel like you are using your few slots better.  Once you start really putting in sets they are valueless.

• Thumbs Up 2

I drop them into my first few attacks, because why not? Usually the knockdown one goes in Brawl, it's a nice bit of soft control at those levels when I'm still using Brawl. At some point around level 15 or so I'll probably decide it's time to get some "proper" enhancements and won't think twice about overwriting them, though.

The non-proc enhancements that they hand you during the tutorial, the ones that don't grow with you, though? Deleted the first time I open the enhancement screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant

Drop Dead Gorgeous Cyber-Security Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden

Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Doctor Roswell (Psychic Blast/Atomic Manipulation blaster, 16 August 2024)

23 minutes ago, Mjolnerd said:

The non-proc enhancements that they hand you during the tutorial, the ones that don't grow with you, though? Deleted the first time I open the enhancement screen.

those can be levelled up just like SOs using the upgrade button

• Thanks 5

47 minutes ago, Snarky said:

this I did not know

• Thumbs Up 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I had no idea. Maybe they're good for something after all!

• Thumbs Up 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant

Drop Dead Gorgeous Cyber-Security Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden

Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Doctor Roswell (Psychic Blast/Atomic Manipulation blaster, 16 August 2024)

8 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Are they useful, or are you just past when they are useful too fast to care?

The one for smashing I use for as long as I have a character. It goes to the far right of my enhancement tray 7. 

I get this weird glitch sometimes when my trays shut down and I only have access to the ones that have enhancements in them at that point. Puting that smashing prestige IO in tray 7 in the farthest slot on the right stops that from happening, and it can't get thrown into the auction house by accident - seriously, I have started using that one for that purpose.

The lethal one is the next less useful one.

I tend to slot the Psi damage first.

The knock down goes in an AoE or cone attack.

The Energy damage goes in another attack as slotting allows.

I don't always use them because, on some character, the slotting is more useful elsewhere and I don't have any more than my standard 2 acc in each attack power.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

16 hours ago, Snarky said:

up until the proc blows out at 22 they are F-ing gold.  After that they are valuable in that they are dual Rech/Dam Enhancers of SO value. 

This.  Especially because regular or attuned IOs have low values at low levels, but those special enhancements have values equivalent to being some level in your early 20s, which you can't get anywhere else at low levels.  Add in the extra procs and there's nothing better you could put in an attack at low levels.  Once you hit 22 and they stop proccing, and regular IOs are providing equivalent values then they can go.

The only other way to get those kinds of enhancement values at low levels is from SOs, but those special enhancements don't go red on you when you level up, which you do a lot at low levels.  So I don't tend to bother with SOs, I just use those prestige enhancements and enjoy the power they provide.

• Thumbs Up 2

Always use them. I always slot the knockdown into whatever is useful for it, and as I open up longer recharge, or AOEs or cones, I stack up three in that. 

I also always get the LRT asap, and spent the reward merits on 8* amplifiers in all three categories, before I train to level 2, and take XP boost. 

It all adds up!