Help: a specific challenging goal: complete all contacts

My wife has a completist streak even wider than I do playing CoH. She has a character she soloed on the original shards very nearly to lvl 50. She did this by doing every contact of every origin through all the missions they gave until their bar was all the way across. Back then you didn't get enough XP doing that by yourself to out level the content.

I didn't realize what she wanted to do and when she started and told me she wanted to do "all the content" I told her not to worry "Ouroborus" can take care of that problem. But of course, it doesn't. It only accounts for the story arcs and badge missions. It leaves out a mess of contacts and getting a contact in Ours doesn't let you go back in game and get "referred" to the next level origin contact.

So, to be clear, this is what she wants... to get to lvl 50 with an inactive contact list that includes EVERY origin contact and each of them with a "full bar". Is there any way to do this? And now that's level 10 has she already blown her shot at doing the initial 5 origin contacts making it impossible for her to get referred up the tree to the next contacts and so on.

Help, advice, whatever?

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

Yup.

1. [*]Turn off XP until you have exhausted all of your contact's missions

[*]Street sweep until you level up

[*]Talk to all of your old contacts, see if they give you new contacts

[*]If they don't street sweep until you level up again (and again, and again)

Repeat this process forever.

She'll have to make a new character though if she's already bypassed all of the origin contacts though.

I'm out.

Is it possible? Yes. Will it be obnoxious? Probably!

What she'll need to do is turn off XP gain (Under options) every time she hits a level BEFORE a level with a multiple of 5. So 14, 19, 24, 29, etc. Once it's off, do all the quests for all the contacts you can possibly do until they have nothing more for you. Then do radio/newspaper missions until the detective has no new contacts for you. THEN go to every zone in your level range, and check for any contacts and missions and repeat it all! Then turn XP back on, level up to the next 5-level milestone, and talk to your contacts again to see if they have new contacts or missions for you.

Most of the time the breakthrough for outlevelling contacts is in powers of 5, so a contact will offer you level 20-25 missions, or 25-30, etc.

Oh boy, do I know the struggle, your lady is one of us chosen ones; now, though it is a very primitive way of going at it, I keep this list always at hand and roam the maps harassing every npc on it, and of course as those wiser and more experienced than me have stated above, turn of earning xp to keep always on the edge of contact max level, and start earning xp again when the contacts themselves tell you the next security level is required. So far I have managed to hoard a bunch of contacts, be warned that some do not talk to me or give me missions no matter how much I try.

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Contacts_By_Level

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

It's absolutely doable.  My main is doing it right now - just finishing the level 30-34 contacts & ready to start on lvl 35-39.  As noted by the previous posters, the trick is to shut off xp at every level ending in 4 or 9, until you have run all of the missions of the contacts in that level band.  I also make sure I do all of the safeguard in each level band.  In addition to the 5 origin contacts in each level band, there are lots of other contacts available as you level - like the 4 Hollows contacts for lvl 5-14, Midnighter Club contacts starting at lvl 10, & the prestige story arc contacts.  By side-switching (or using Null the Gull) you can do all of the redside arcs too!

Obviously this is time-consuming, but for a completist, the reward of doing everything (& not having an unfilled contact in the inactive contacts list) makes it worthwhile.  Personally I am drawing the line at doing all of the door missions offered by the contacts - I won't run all of the mindless Hunt X missions.  (I did do that on the earlier levels, but no more!)

Enjoy your slow (& often repetitive) walk to 50! :)

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

Or just live in Perma debt like I've been doing lately...Been on lvl 27 for a whole story arc...Damned Devoured Earth and their stupid spawning Will of the Earth...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Blueside, contacts in a given level range will refer you to others within the same level range until you have a full set, and you can meet others via detective after running a safeguard mission (although this seems twitchy sometimes), so it's impossible to get "blocked off" from a certain chain.

Back on live I had a scrapper whose goal was to do every blueside mission in the game. I had gotten pretty lucky; I got through the "go hunt in Dark Astoria"s before Mot ate it, and if the game hadn't gotten shut down, I would have probably finished it all up before Kings Row became the first new content added below her level. Here, I'm going for the relatively sane "all story arcs, all badge missions, maxed contact bars" on my main, who will hit 40 tonight. Ten levels to go...

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

Even if you are not introduced to a new contact, you can open your contacts and click on 'Search' for a new contact. That should get you new contacts within your level range. Just remember to turn off your XP.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

• 4 years later

I heard that no matter what you outlevel, you can go to Oroboros and run every mission you might have missed. Is this true? If so, that could be a nice backup for you and your plans OP.

On 6/12/2019 at 2:32 PM, JusticeBowler said:

My wife has a completist streak even wider than I do playing CoH. She has a character she soloed on the original shards very nearly to lvl 50. She did this by doing every contact of every origin through all the missions they gave until their bar was all the way across. Back then you didn't get enough XP doing that by yourself to out level the content.

I didn't realize what she wanted to do and when she started and told me she wanted to do "all the content" I told her not to worry "Ouroborus" can take care of that problem. But of course, it doesn't. It only accounts for the story arcs and badge missions. It leaves out a mess of contacts and getting a contact in Ours doesn't let you go back in game and get "referred" to the next level origin contact.

So, to be clear, this is what she wants... to get to lvl 50 with an inactive contact list that includes EVERY origin contact and each of them with a "full bar". Is there any way to do this? And now that's level 10 has she already blown her shot at doing the initial 5 origin contacts making it impossible for her to get referred up the tree to the next contacts and so on.

Help, advice, whatever?

yes.  i am doing redside again, for the nth time.  i did all blue gold red once.  never again.  

here is a spreadsheet.  it is NOT perfect.  it is about 99% perfect.

Blueside is challenging because multiple contacts give the EXACT same content.  once you get one of them, you identify who their doppelgangers are and get them off the to do list. The doppelganger will never talk to you, they know you got their clone.

All gold is available in OURO   ALL  Start Blue or Red, side switch. stop exp at 4,7, 8, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29, 34, 39, 44

good luck

contacts CoH CoV.xlsx

1 hour ago, Xalon said:

I heard that no matter what you outlevel, you can go to Oroboros and run every mission you might have missed. Is this true? If so, that could be a nice backup for you and your plans OP.

Every Arc with a badge can be run.   Except for Efficiency Expert Pither.  (For him, if you mess up his missions for the badge, you can tag along with someone else at level 50)

4 hours ago, Xalon said:

no.  all gold is, the important red/blue  definitely not all

On 1/25/2024 at 11:16 PM, Snarky said:

no.  all gold is, the important red/blue  definitely not all

Can you explain? Because it says you can complete any mission from contacts 1-50 from all zones if you missed or outlevel them.  States this on the homecoming, paragon and titan wikis, and a few guides across forums. 

13 minutes ago, Xalon said:

Can you explain? Because it says you can complete any mission from contacts 1-50 from all zones if you missed or outlevel them.  States this on the homecoming, paragon and titan wikis, and a few guides across forums. 

All the badge missions and story arcs can be run via Ouro.    Stuff like "Hunt down 25 Outcasts and return purses to victims" are not.

Tip missions are level locked as well come to think of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, lemming said:

All the badge missions and story arcs can be run via Ouro.    Stuff like "Hunt down 25 Outcasts and return purses to victims" are not.

Tip missions can be replayed at any level using the SG Base Mission Computer (outside of special event tips like Valentines, Halloween, or Winter).

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

Tip missions can be replayed at any level using the SG Base Mission Computer (outside of special event tips like Valentines, Halloween, or Winter).

I only get my level range when I check.  Level 50s get Threat Level 40, but not the ones lower level. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Xalon said:

As Lemming said.  Plus a LOT of “unimportant” story arcs are not in Ouro red/blue. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lemming said:

4 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

IIRC, @lemming has it right. I don't believe it is possible to buy a lower level TIP if you have leveled beyond its decade. E.g. Level 50 characters can only buy "level 40" tips in the SG base.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, tidge said:

IIRC, @lemming has it right. I don't believe it is possible to buy a lower level TIP if you have leveled beyond its decade. E.g. Level 50 characters can only buy "level 40" tips in the SG base.

I had no idea, it seemed like there was a ton of them last I checked, but it's only the 40-50 level range, wow!

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I think it is a shame that we can't "Ouro" to lower level tip missions! The writing in them is quite good, and there are a bunch of "mini arcs" that explain some of the game's side lore.

• Like 1