Fold Space Questions

Snarky

I am considering finally getting this thing.  I am always late to the party.  fashionably late.  or late enough to drain the early guests who are now drunk...

So this would be for my Dark Dark Dark Corruptor.  My question revolves around how long I have before the mobs kill me.  Because TPing a bunch of hostiles around me is very bad news.  

Normally I fly into a group of whatever.  Take the War works in the Lambda or BAF.  I go in before a Tank or anybody. (I take a far group)  This works.  it amazes me.  it is always funny.

So why does this work? (I am a Corruptor, with a couple defenses at 22% and most around 9%)  

Dark has a non-suppressing stealth.  You remember.  Leading out the hostage you always have to yell at the Dark guy to turn off Shadow Fall.  That gets me close.  Close enough to die.

I run the Oppressive Gloom toggle. It is a 12' aura with a Mag 2 Stun.  Meh, right?

...so... As I come in I target some fool in the middle and drop Dark Pit. It is a ranged targeted AoE 20' radius and...a mag 2 stun

2+2 = 4;  I now have working room

I drop Tar patch. 3.1 sec cast, i use Soul Drain (buildup) 2.37 sec cast, i drop Blackstar 3 sec cast. 

Blackstar has a massive to hit debuff.  For any that survive and are shacking off that stun.  After that I vary my tactics based on the group. For the warworks I would pop out 40' and Fearsome stare, then ST a vicky prob. maybe some cones.  They are all mine at this point, just scourging.

But....Will this work with a Fold Space? I need to get that 1.07 cast off before a bunch of Freakshow or whatever decide this Corruptor has outlived his usefullness.... If I can get the Dark Pit off I am golden.  If not there is no reason to respec into the power.

You might want to fearsome stare first from a distance outside of stealth radius, tar patch your kill zone, then move into melee to Fold space. For nastier groups, Darkest Night (and after fearsome stare) before Fold Space for additional layers of -ToHit. But that time, once all the mobs all around you, their ToHit has been floored. Then you can murder all the declawed kittens with all the time in the world. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

9 minutes ago, Nyghtmaire said:

You might want to fearsome stare first from a distance outside of stealth radius, tar patch your kill zone, then move into melee to Fold space. For nastier groups, Darkest Night (and after fearsome stare) before Fold Space for additional layers of -ToHit. But that time, once all the mobs all around you, their ToHit has been floored. Then you can murder all the declawed kittens with all the time in the world. 

Yes.... but you never answered the question lol.

Reading between the lines the mobs attack you with the first thing they can as soon as they are near you.....????

fearsome stare is not my preferred opener.  Cones are....finicky.  I love it, but not as an opener.  Tar Patch has no -tohit.  They are slow and their res is debuffed.  But they can sure as hell shoot you

Darkest Night might be an option. But the range is 70.  I tar patch my kill zone, Darkest night a boss. Fold Space, he stays...ooops... and I have 12 new friends with great accuracy right next to me.

Edited by Snarky
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fearsome Stare is my preferred opener! Becomes a numbers game - most mobs will be feared. Any that are missed will be far fewer than max spawn size, further reduced by middling range defense. And since no attacks on them until you’re ready, they’re not firing back. Once all the debuffs are applied, FS to clump then attack. 

Dark Pit + OG is sweet, but it suffers from needing everyone in close range. FS tends to pull everyone into a line rather than pile (enough to be a pain at least). In the scenario, most of the group will be out of OG range. 

• Thanks 1

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

13 minutes ago, Nyghtmaire said:

Fearsome Stare is my preferred opener! Becomes a numbers game - most mobs will be feared. Any that are missed will be far fewer than max spawn size, further reduced by middling range defense. And since no attacks on them until you’re ready, they’re not firing back. Once all the debuffs are applied, FS to clump then attack. 

Dark Pit + OG is sweet, but it suffers from needing everyone in close range. FS tends to pull everyone into a line rather than pile (enough to be a pain at least). In the scenario, most of the group will be out of OG range. 

Thanks.  With your bits of wisdom i think i will try the TP build.  I can always use my “standard” attack chain.  I am giving up Black Hole (big loss lol) Dark Consumption (only use in emergency or when lazy ghetto AoE) and Hasten (this stings a tad). But i get Teleport Target (damn useful for a Corr and my playstyle) Combat Teleport (I need to learn but I should have a couple good macros programmed fast) and the Fold Space.  Which I will learn the nuances of I suppose.  If I hate it I can always pick up Hasten or Team TP

Edited by Snarky

55 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Teleport Target

Stealthing missions FTW!

56 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Combat Teleport

This will be life changing for you. Nothing more frightening than a life draining vampire appearing behind you out of the shadows.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have one corruptor with Fold Space, but he is NRG/Traps. He sets a Trip Mine and a Poison Trap, Caltrops, then another Mine. Then Power Boost, Aim Fold Space, and Blammo, Explosion. Slivers of health are cleared with Energy knockback attacks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

On 3/7/2023 at 5:09 AM, KC4800 said:

I have one corruptor with Fold Space, but he is NRG/Traps. He sets a Trip Mine and a Poison Trap, Caltrops, then another Mine. Then Power Boost, Aim Fold Space, and Blammo, Explosion. Slivers of health are cleared with Energy knockback attacks.

What normally seems to happen to me is someone on my team had Fold Space and I set all that up and then realize I just wasted my time.  😕

• Haha 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 minute ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

What normally seems to happen to me is someone on my team had Fold Space and I set all that up and then realize I just wasted my time.  😕

Yeah, i built to get ahead and solo.  If i wait for the team to Tar Patch, Soul Drain, (at this point someone yoinks all my mobs) Blackstar on nothing.  

Sooo my stubborn little butt built a Corr that can Tank (for a short time) just about any spawn…then kill it.  I just zoom ahead and play like a Brute.  Fold Space is just to make that more efficient 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Yup, been playing a BR/Traps Corr lately and like a lot of debuffs, most of the Traps powers aren't something you're going to use on normal mobs while teaming. By the time you cast them everything is dead. Kinda feels like half your powerset is a waste, until you get to an AV that you just melt.

I did get to shove a Trip Mine up a Fake Nem's ass. That was fun. 🤣

Edited by Captain Fabulous
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Yup, been playing a BR/Traps Corr lately and like a lot of debuffs most of the Traps powers aren't something you're going to use on normal mobs while teaming. By the time you cast them everything is dead. Kinda feels like half your powerset is a waste, until you get to an AV that you just melt.

I did get to shove a Trip Mine up a Fake Nem's ass. That was fun. 🤣

This phenomenon is what threw me the first time i ran a Dark Dark Corr.   It just felt like it was not working.  So i went back to Blasters.   

Then I dedicated the first month of the year to soloing all Red content on one.  Now I understand how powerful it is.  Sure, there are teams where I am an 8th wheel, just there as a weak Blaster if I can keep ip with the steamroller team. But when I am useful I am very useful.   -res -regen -tohit -dam and a bunch of little annoyances.   Then there is the significant AoE and ST damage.   

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Snarky said:

This phenomenon is what threw me the first time i ran a Dark Dark Corr.   It just felt like it was not working.  So i went back to Blasters.   

Then I dedicated the first month of the year to soloing all Red content on one.  Now I understand how powerful it is.  Sure, there are teams where I am an 8th wheel, just there as a weak Blaster if I can keep ip with the steamroller team. But when I am useful I am very useful.   -res -regen -tohit -dam and a bunch of little annoyances.   Then there is the significant AoE and ST damage.   

Yeah, solo or on small/underpowered teams it's a completely different story.

45 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Sure, there are teams where I am an 8th wheel, just there as a weak Blaster if I can keep ip with the steamroller team.

On my /Dark Corruptor, I limit to one debuff at most when in a team before blasting, trusting in Scourge to make it all worthwhile. Usually stop right at the end to Twilight Grasp if anyone has taken some damage. Then off with the murderball. Unless the fan gets covered in excrement, cuz that’s go-time on the debuffs. And let’s be real - Howling Twilight is a debuff first that happens to rez, not the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Snarky said:

Yeah, i built to get ahead and solo.

That's basically what I was doing!  My Corr was rushing in via Combat TP to pop her Tier 9 deck clearing and the mass of foes kept getting snatched away, back to the tanker or brute or whomever.  That was the team leader, so I just hung back and half-heartedly sniped then left once the mission was done.

• Thumbs Up 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 hours ago, Nyghtmaire said:

On my /Dark Corruptor, I limit to one debuff at most when in a team before blasting, trusting in Scourge to make it all worthwhile. Usually stop right at the end to Twilight Grasp if anyone has taken some damage. Then off with the murderball. Unless the fan gets covered in excrement, cuz that’s go-time on the debuffs. And let’s be real - Howling Twilight is a debuff first that happens to rez, not the other way around.

I'll toss out the ones that are quick as an opener, like Caltrops, Tar Patch, Flash Arrow, Freezing Rain, etc. But yeah, you really only get time for one before everything's dead and you're moving on. Traps makes things even more difficult because so many of the powers have limited or no range, meaning I have to run in to plant it at critter's feet -- another reason I don't use them unless there's a tough boss, or EB/AV/GM.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Captain Fabulous said:

I'll toss out the ones that are quick as an opener, like Caltrops, Tar Patch, Flash Arrow, Freezing Rain, etc. But yeah, you really only get time for one before everything's dead and you're moving on. Traps makes things even more difficult because so many of the powers have limited or no range, meaning I have to run in to plant it at critter's feet -- another reason I don't use them unless there's a tough boss, or EB/AV/GM.

One thing about being on this one Corr toon since late December is that I have a good rhythm...for everything but Aeon.  Damn challenging.  

Almost all CoH, including iTrials  I go into one of 3 modes. 

1) If I can get out ahead I hit a fresh spawn with ranged AoE stun, then get into them (which introduces them to my aura stun) and the mobs are mag 4 stunned. Then I tar patch, build up, blackstar, joust back for Fearsome stare (to hit debuff) and if there is a cyclops or hard boss drop the debuff toggle on them.

2)If I am tight with team or fights are endless (+4/x8 kill most ITF) I get a debuff toggle on the biggest bad, keep tar patch and fearsome stare going, heal if needed or to debuff a harder target. Then I AoE and ST.  If its a super hard target the Rez debuff is thrown at them too.

3) If it is hard to be useful as a debuffer (Magisterium final fight, Battle Maiden) I shift into Blaster mode, or if my debuffs are all in place and the target is below 50%.  Scourge!!!

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2