What additions to the AE would we like to see? (Within reason!)

Darmian

I am positive. I have some of my older missions where there’s a lot of dialogue popping. I think there’s less of it in the later missions. But part of it too I think is that you run our missions in stealth mode. So I am wondering if they’re not noticing you as quickly because of that?

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Just now, cranebump said:

I am positive. I have some of my older missions where there’s a lot of dialogue popping. I think there’s less of it in the later missions. But part of it too I think is that you run our missions in stealth mode. So I am wondering if they’re not noticing you as quickly because of that?

Ah, that may be a thing, using Infiltration.  Hadn't thought of that.

1 hour ago, TerroirNoir2 said:

Come to think of it, @Darmian, I've never seen this happen in your missions.  Nor yours @cranebump and @Ankylosaur.  Is there a secret to this?

Well, they shouldn't pop in mine, but's that because I went back through them and unless an NPC appears literally in front of you then I don't use the Unaware text box for allies or enemies.  Unless I want them overheard.  And if I do I sometimes point out that in the Mission Entry pop up that you can hear them up ahead.

• Thanks 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

• 2 weeks later

Echoing the above. The “secret” is I try to avoid the unaware text since I know its broken.

That’s not to say that I never use it in older missions, or that I forget, or hope that on this map maybe it works, or that in some rare cases I leverage the broken-ness on purpose, but I tend to avoid it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

I think one way to accomplish people walking around that feels easy and at least for me is good enough is to add the "Non-combat" and "Single" options to Patrol Alignment menu in Patrols.

Edited by Ankylosaur

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

• 2 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later
3 hours ago, Chronicler J said:

Challenge Settings, same as TFs/SFs, along with 1-4star settings. 

Wouldn't this just enhance farms even more?

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, cranebump said:

Wouldn't this just enhance farms even more?

It very well could do.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

38 minutes ago, Darmian said:

It very well could do.

I don't think they need any more help.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

40 minutes ago, Chronicler J said:

How?

By giving you the same settings you can get in the game, I assume? Would settings affect rewards?

File under wildest dreams: 

Enhance story telling:  User created cut screen tool for short dialogue between characters or a narrator.  Trigger would be start, one event during mission or end of mission.

Enhance settings:  Incorporate the player bases into missions.  I know it is not the same system, but I saw a cool china-town base and wished we could have a story there.

OR the ability to pick up and drop the X's and event triggers on a map.  

Enhance characters:  More, more and more options for powers, triggers for actions.  I hate that characters will talk at mission start and have this random dialogue that characters will miss.

• Thumbs Up 3

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

It'd be cool if we could designate AE enemies as "Hero" as well as "Arch Villain."  Sometimes you're a bad guy takin' down a hero, y'know?

Same stats, just a different title.

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

• 1 month later

Is there a reason we can't use Warshade or Peacebringers as custom enemies?  Too many powers and forms to navigate?

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

On 3/23/2023 at 9:32 AM, Darmian said:

What additions would we like to see in the AE?

More maps is always a plus.

Reason? Variation.

Being able to place AVs and collectables.

Even front, middle, or rear don't really allow much control over placing these.

Reason? being able to place them can increase the enjoyability of AE missions.

select enemy travel mode. Flight, super leap, teleport, super speed.

About the only way  you can change enemies travel is by giving them kinetics powers.

Reason? variation.

Ability to give pool powers to enemies.

Reason? I think being able to give the sorcery powers to enemies would be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 3

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• 2 weeks later
On 7/6/2023 at 5:53 AM, UltraAlt said:

Being able to place AVs and collectables.

Even front, middle, or rear don't really allow much control over placing these.

Reason? being able to place them can increase the enjoyability of AE missions.

This, so much this. It annoys me to no end how the spawn positions of everything are randomized. Case on point: I wanted to add some fighters to the Longbow Sea Base map as set dressing, so I set their spawn area to front... but then instead of appearing in the airstrip area as I expected, they started to pop up literally all over the base, including inside the command bunker. Another time, I wanted to place an interactable computer in a certain room in a Fifth Column base, and were quite displeased that I had to look for it in several different places between test runs. Because of that and many other things, I second the wish for more control over spawn locations for NPCs and objects.

One other thing I'd personally appreciate is letting the players build their own mission maps. Not asking for anything to the extent of SG base building, but seeing as most instanced maps really are a mish-mash of preset rooms and hallways from a list, I believe allowing the players to take advantage of that would greatly increase mission variety. Even better if we could combine multiple different tilesets per map.

12 minutes ago, Vic Raiden said:

letting the players build their own mission maps.

The snag with that is pathing. In the provided AE maps, as with in world maps, there's coded pathing for NPCs to use, walk along, TP to and so on. Bases don't have this, which can be seen in minion behaviour if you have an MM in a base. They split up, don't follow, get lost etc.

And heck knows what sort of coding would be needed to let you put that into an AE map.

Personally I'd be happy with some modularity. Preset rooms I could "click" together with whatever needed already inside each one.

Edited by Darmian

• 1 month later
On 6/3/2023 at 10:18 AM, starro said:

Enhance story telling:  User created cut screen tool for short dialogue between characters or a narrator.  Trigger would be start, one event during mission or end of mission.

For me this is the biggest thing I would want but I know would be just scripting hell, just like branching stories. 

Now if a normal branching story can't be done, I wonder if we could branch by setting up a check system that lets us hide the AE unless they complete another AE by fail or success. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Neji_Hawke said:

For me this is the biggest thing I would want but I know would be just scripting hell, just like branching stories. 

Now if a normal branching story can't be done, I wonder if we could branch by setting up a check system that lets us hide the AE unless they complete another AE by fail or success. 

This would be nice. I have no idea of how fragile the code is but something like if this happens then boot up Arc 77 immediately.  With Arc 77 not visible on the console normally. Then again, how on earth would you vote on an arc if it slides across arcs.

1 hour ago, Neji_Hawke said:

i love this and realize the duct tape and spaghetti that runs it probably is not realistic.  I put this up there with my custom mastermind pets (powers too!)  for wishlist items.

• Thumbs Up 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

• 3 months later

Add missing powersets.  There's currently a rad-based enemy group that I want to make but can't because Rad Melee's not in there and I can't recolor other sets to look like rad.  Oh yeah, recoloring custom critters' powers, too (or instead?).  What baffles me is that storm blast and some of the HC sets are in there, so why not rad melee or water blast?  I don't understand the reasoning.
A "Praetorian" tag.  Might as well add "Resistance" and "Loyalist" tags, too.

Those are the main things I've run into lately;  I'm working on a series of arcs for Praetorians in the level 40 to 50 range because it bugs me that there aren't any story arcs for them in that range.  Currently, if you want to get a pure Praetorian to 50, you have to do a bunch of repeatable missions from Trilogy, and that gets boring (at least for me).

• Thumbs Up 2

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

Even adding the Power Pools would be nice.

• Like 2