I may have found the Unicorn! Ice/Dark Corruptor

Snarky

I have tried for many long years to find the "perfect" toon.  Oh, I have made it difficult.  I like fully ranged. I want it to be undead theme. I do not want to buff.  I prefer high damage.  There are more "wishes" but that core set created enough problems.

Dark Dark Blaster is wonky, and is partially melee.  I have one with just over 1300 badges.

I have tried Ice/Cold Corr is the past.  Good.  But, just...lacking.  Plus people want you to buff them.  And I hate pets.  Add that to the Main List lol.

I have tried half the Blasters sets out there with various secondaries. Dark, Fire, Ice, Electric, AR, Beam, Seismic...

I ran a Dark Dark Corruptor for the first 10 weeks of this year non stop.  Still...jousting in for Nuke etc....

I recently started delving into Controllers and have a Dark Dark in the late 40s.  Was looking at an Ice Ice.  

It was during the time I was getting feedback on the Controllers that someone said something that sparked my interest.  I started looking at varios Ice/Dark, Dark/Ice.  Then, as I had MiDs up I thought, look at that on a Corruptor.  

Holy crap!  Ice/Dark/Soul Corruptor.  Just sitting there. 

1) Fully ranged.  I do not take Soul Drain from Soul, just Dark Embrace and Soul Storm.  

2) Undead themed. Dark, of course. Cold is associated with the Undead in many games and lore. Hello GoT! 

3) No buffs.  One heal, that heals me and anyone around me.  They can grudgingly have some of the power I am stealing from my victim and channeling to the netherworld.

4) Moderate to High DPS.

5) No pets. (Fluffy stay away!)

I slapped together a MiDs build.  46.9% Ranged, Negative and Energy Defense. 45.3% AoE defense. 44.7 Fire/Cold Defense. 23% Melee, and 25% S/L.  43% S/L Resist, 34% Neg Res, and 26% Fire/Cold res.  19-20% Psi/Tox/energy Res.  

Am currently running through all the TF/SF/Trials in level order.  Just starting the 20-25 trio of Psyche/Yin/Mantis.

Huge ST chain.  3 ST Holds at 20-25.  4 once Soul Mastery comes in.  I have a Dark/Temp/Soul Blaster with 3 ST Holds.  I love that.  Lock it down.  

Good AoE, rains are suited to Scourge, and Tar Patch meshes well with Ice Storm and Blizzard.  

The sounds.  The groans of Petrifying gaze locking someone down, the wintery sounds of life being drained.  It is such a happy moment.

Yes, this may be something special.  I will probably be on this thing for at least a couple months seeing how well I like it and what it can do.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 11
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

3 minutes ago, Tanker_Toy said:

Mine is one of my favorite characters. Slotting Blizzard with full Ragnarok adds to the fun of a tar patched blizzard- the knockdown component keeps them helpless. Enjoy!

My plan is to slap in a full set of Superior Frozen Blast. (Immobilize Proc 🙂 )  Winter sets are part of my key to cranking the defense numbers. And theme.  Like the Midnight Bomber what bombs at midnights says  "Ya gotta have a theme baby!" 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Snarky said:

2) Undead themed. Dark, of course. Cold is associated with the Undead in many games and lore.

Dude... get a life. 😄

• Haha 5

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

I have tried Ice/Cold Corr is the past.  Good.  But, just...lacking.  Plus people want you to buff them.  And I hate pets.  Add that to the Main List lol.

That's nonsense! It's the best pairing in the game. It plays solo or teaming better than anything else in the game - I say this as having done all the content in the game that can be soloed on my main Ice/Cold Corruptor Glacier Peak. So yeah, I'm a bit biased! 😅 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Respec from soul to dark. Even better.

17 hours ago, Snarky said:

1) Fully ranged.  I do not take Soul Drain from Soul, just Dark Embrace and Soul Storm. 

Can’t get the hold from /dark and runs afoul of the design goals. But yeah, /dark’s Soul Drain has that sweet, sweet lower recharge. Though really a shame to skip Power Boost. Really great when things get hairy.

Congrats @Snarky. It’s a helluva pairing. I hope you took Howling Twilight to stun your prey (and NOT to rez teammates - make sure it’s always on cooldown so you don’t inadvertently help someone)!

Edited by Nyghtmaire
Congratulations!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Just now, Nyghtmaire said:

Can’t get the hold from /dark and runs afoul of the design goals. But yeah, /dark’s Soul Drain has that sweet, sweet lower recharge. Though really a shame to skip Power Boost. Really great when things get hairy.

I guess my brain must of skipped over that as not taking soul drain is pretty sacrilegious but then again he's a soulless vampire so maybe he doesn't need to drain souls.

I play a ice/dark/dark with melee/ranged/energy softcaps and make ample use out of soul drain. The pairing of ice and dark is very synergistic given tar patch plus ice storm/blizzard. And being originally from the tundra, you can't see shit in a blizzard so darkest night helps there too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I play a ice/dark/dark with melee/ranged/energy softcaps and make ample use out of soul drain. The pairing of ice and dark is very synergistic given tar patch plus ice storm/blizzard. And being originally from the tundra, you can't see shit in a blizzard so darkest night helps there too.

Same (except for the backstory and M+A softcapping)! I’ll have to juice the build when I get back to this character. That softcapping is great goal. 

• Like 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Its a great combo.  My first villain on live was Ice/Dark/Soul and its a solo powerhouse.  I remade him on HC as my first character back in the game and loved the nostalgia of it.  So many holds, great single target DPS, essentially full lockdown with Fearsome Stare + Tar Patch (AI tries to leave the patch whenever they get an action during the fear and barely attack back).  

However, my warning is that it doesn't hold up on high speed endgame teams.  The animation time on Stare, Drain, Patch, Ice Storm and Blizzard are just too high.  By the time you drop all of that, the spawn is mostly dead.  You can run off and solo your own 54/8 spawns at a moderate pace and safely, but I often feel like you're dropping AoEs on nothing if you stick with the pack.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

Its a great combo.  My first villain on live was Ice/Dark/Soul and its a solo powerhouse.  I remade him on HC as my first character back in the game and loved the nostalgia of it.  So many holds, great single target DPS, essentially full lockdown with Fearsome Stare + Tar Patch (AI tries to leave the patch whenever they get an action during the fear and barely attack back).  

However, my warning is that it doesn't hold up on high speed endgame teams.  The animation time on Stare, Drain, Patch, Ice Storm and Blizzard are just too high.  By the time you drop all of that, the spawn is mostly dead.  You can run off and solo your own 54/8 spawns at a moderate pace and safely, but I often feel like you're dropping AoEs on nothing if you stick with the pack.  

I can see the danger.  For those instances I plan on cones and ST.  Maybe Ice Storm.  But Blizzard (like Seismic's Meteor) will be hauled out when it is actually needed.  To me that i when a TF gets interesting.  If you are zipping along at a furious pace I can pew pew and ride the coattails.  When you accidentally pull all the spawns into one area and bog down.  I got you.  But yeah, if two Fire Blasters and a Brute are hopped up on juice and destroying everything it is different. I just spend my time visually confirming objectives accomplished and keeping close enough to see if they are in trouble.  Mayb pew pew at a Boss or EB

6 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Respec from soul to dark. Even better.

On my Dark Dark Corr I fully agree.  But since I am avoiding melee range completely I only pull Dark Embrace and Soul Storm (my 4th ST Hold!) from Soul Mastery.

I'll have to try it.

dark is my go to support for soloing since it is basically a controller plus support

I have ice on a few characters but have not paired it with dark.

Is there a reason you went ice/dark corr instead of dark/ice defender?

2 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I'll have to try it.

dark is my go to support for soloing since it is basically a controller plus support

I have ice on a few characters but have not paired it with dark.

Is there a reason you went ice/dark corr instead of dark/ice defender?

Honestly I have never looked at Defender.  Corruptor I think does more damage?  Plus, the Archetype title alone...   My undead wraith Corrupts, does not Defend!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Honestly I have never looked at Defender.  Corruptor I think does more damage?  Plus, the Archetype title alone...   My undead wraith Corrupts, does not Defend!

I don't know the numbers but supposedly defender is basically equal to corruptor on damage when solo but does less in teams.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

I was going to say something about ALWAYS trying to get a life….

image.jpeg.91a66d8cb216eba02bc43c21a625338d.jpeg

Actually, I think that picture sums it up quite nicely. I mean Vamps tend to "get a life" to feed off, so as to "live" the Undead life, so yeah. 🙂 But yeah, way to go @Snarky! Get down with your new single target, no-melee, super hold, undead self, and let the good times roll! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Please come and join us on Friday at 6pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (6pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

Is this the toon you just ran on Market Crash?

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Ok... In honor of Sir Snarky, and his great Undead idea self, I have made a Ice/Dark Undead character of my own (to try out). May I present to you...

Count Ebon... 🙂

Count Ebon.jpg

Of course, he's on hero side, so I guess that means he's Snarky's black sheep brother, huh..? lol 😁

Oh well... As the old saying goes...

"That's the way the Undead crumbles!" lol

Edited by BjorJlen
  • Like 3

Please come and join us on Friday at 6pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (6pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

4 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

Is this the toon you just ran on Market Crash?

Yes, I was noodling around on all TF/SF etc and was at 42/43  That +4 MC put me at bottom of 48.  I burned my experience charges and farmed him to 50, openend alpha slot in another 5 min and T4'd that with emailed emps.  

• Thumbs Up 1