Multiverse characters

Those who play both gold side and either red or blue:  do you create gold-side characters that are the multiverse counterpoints of your Prime characters?  If so what are their similarities and differences?  I suppose you could extend that question to those creating characters for any dimension visited by Portal Corp.

I've got one pair so far:

Praetorian: Ace Ramjet

Prime: Ace Barnstormer

Similarities: both tech melee, both with similar basic costumes.  Lore-wise, they're both the "same" person.

Differences:

Physical:  Ramjet is obviously beefier, a result of a different, more aggressive technology applied to him by the harsher Powers Division.  Ramjet is a brute class super strength/invulnerability, whereas Barnstormer is a scrapper class martial arts/super reflexes. 

Costume: Ramjet has added padding reflecting his more aggressive confrontational style.

Lore:  Barnstormer acquired his skill traveling the world, studying with masters.  His speed, strength, and durability, though, were enhanced back in Paragon City by means of retro-engineered Rikti technology embedded in a powered under-suit to his costume.  Ramjet, due to the Hamidon Wars, never traveled.  His body was enhanced by a painfully-grafted cybertech, though he too possesses a powered under-suit to complete his enhancements.

Personality: Barnstormer is all about personal liberties.  Ramjet is fine with personal liberties to a point.  The moment they interfere with the established societal structure, they end.

image.png.465c8d9926bf8988dd9000afb681e615.png

Edited by Techwright
fix some issues
  • Like 2

At one time, I did this with Acrobattle (Staff/Ninj). His Goldside counterpart was Louis Johnson, a member of the resistance (Blaster: DP/and I forget the secondary). Acro is a former Spec Ops who kept some of the experimental tech (staff, "micromesh armor," etc.). He mainly just wants to run is Bakery in KR (called Sweet Eats), but all the crime, man. Louis didn't have much of a BG at all, but figured he was just a harsher, more violent version of Acro.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I more focus on making multiverse versions of NPCs I enjoy. My favorite is probably Tavern Witch, an alternate version of Stephanie Peebles. I like that I was able to incorporate her wedding ring into her costume (the cape brooch) and with psionic blast it really looks like the power of the ring is manifesting when she attacks.

screenshot_211222-20-58-08.thumb.jpg.37800df7b46ef9b38999838d2f0d2263.jpgscreenshot_211017-01-02-08.thumb.jpg.f250b63f485088a05851b810d702ceb6.jpg

I'm also doing "A Study of Manticore" in which I try and combine Manticore with various famous comic stories. So far I have:

Old Man Sinclair: A play on Old Man Logan. His bio just reads, "I don't care what those damned Menders say. I'm going back and saving her."

oms.thumb.PNG.22564e05d747800ee39188cf3bdd5e7d.PNG

The Manticore Who Laughs: A play on The Batman Who Laughs. His Bio reads: " On Earth-616, when Justin Sinclair killed the woman he loved (Sister Psyche) to save Paragon City, he had no idea that her final death cry that pierced his mind had a virus, a virus in the form of Malaise. Devastated by Sister Psyche's Death, Manticore's mind was no match for Malaise's cruel and sadistic psychosis. His body is now nothing more that a meat puppet worn by Malaise"

mwl.thumb.PNG.69b03abb051b092d36a23aa75e555a0b.PNG

Winter Bowman: A play on Winter Soldier / Superman: Red Son.

wb.thumb.PNG.0c261a2372fe784087d5b0e8b7eccb77.PNG

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

I have 80 characters so far that do this.  40 blue side, 40 gold side.  Each pair share a general theme, sometimes same or similar powersets (Claws/WP and Savage/Regen for example).  Half the Praetorians go Resistance, half are Loyalists, all complete all arcs in the 1-20 content.

If I make a red or blue toon I don't make a yellow side to it. If a friend wants they can make a yellow side to one of my toons. Or I might ask to make a yellow side toon of there is like. I do that for mostly 2 reasons. 

It's very different worlds and how outher you might be is going to be pritty alien to how your are ( like most the yellow toons we do see)  

It gives you the chance to bump into eachother and rp. 

I've done this with two of my older characters. 

The ATs are totally different. Names as well. The Prae versions have played through the relevant arcs, and are kept on my alt account so if I ever want to pair them together, I can.

The bios between the characters are written nearly identically as the only clue that one is a Prae version of the other.

10 hours ago, Techwright said:

Those who play both gold side and either red or blue:  do you create gold-side characters that are the multiverse counterpoints of your Prime characters?  If so what are their similarities and differences?  I suppose you could extend that question to those creating characters for any dimension visited by Portal Corp.

I do this frequently, but they don't need to be different "sides" - I do have a few that started in Praetoria, especially when I've run them with friends who *planned* to do this (we even made Prae. versions of each others characters at one point.) Currently, though... lord, I hate goldside, so while I may say they *started* there, they're rarely *playing* there. (Especially remakes.)

Similarities and differences will vary by character, from body type to powersets to age to tweaks on the name.  And I'll get whole swathes of iterations on the same character. For instance, first 50 was an elec/elec blaster. I made a Peacebringer to continue her story. A corruptor when COV came out as a "The CoT made this to try to discredit her, but it turned on them." An electric controller - mostly for the heck of it, but an "elsewhere" character. Same with the elec/elec brute which was "if just one or two things went wrong..." alternate-dimension. Went to Aion for a bit, made a version of her there, then brought that back as best I could to COH. Ended up with a bunch of versions of herr.

Or my first character, fire/ss brute... which was the closest I could come at th etime to what the PnP character I made was. Then SS/Dark, when COV came out. Tried spines to see if it fit, did make him a her at one point as a fire ... blaster I believe, then when tanks got DA, DA/SS , which is currently "the closest I can get to his original version from PnP."

I even ran a storyline on another group where a character's father made her a bit of tech to help her hide, but they didn't realize it was less *hiding* than sticking her half out of the dimension - and opening up rifts. So alternate versions came through, often just flashing by as they ran through one, but another was hunting them to find out what was causing the disruption. (One of those alternates became a "main" here with a much more complex story than ever planned.)

So... yeah, good bit of alternate-selves.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Back on live when CoV was released I created Low Beam, explained as High Beam (my bestest main) from another dimension (before going Rogue, got idea from Maria Jenkins Arc).  It was . . . meh.  In my private fiction writing, several of my characters have Nexus Counterparts from other dimensions.  I have a propensity for doing the long lost twin/sibling/offspring/relative thing with my HC characters, kind of like remaking the ones from live but acting as if live was an alternate dimension and some escaped before the dimension blipped out.

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Not a Praetorian counterpart (although now I'm debating doing one), but I did make a villain "from another universe" version of my main. Sky-Hawke the hero and Skye-Hawke the villain. Hero version is a Rad/Will Brute while the villain version is a Rad/Energy Tank.

**Edit: Ok, made one. Elysium Hawke (in keeping with a Praetorian themed name) is an Elec/Rad Sentinel.**

skyhawke.JPG

skyehawke.JPG

elysiumhawke.JPG

Edited by Skyhawke
  • Like 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

So many costume slots to fill usually means my "alternate versions" exist right on the same toon.  Example: Capt. Sam's Space Zoo has hero costume with a smiling space-themed retro-futrurism, while he also has a redside costume that makes him look like a scowling tugboat captain from Nerva. 

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝